Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hitler only pretended to support religion because he was a politician: a liar - and not an idiot.
Sounds like Obama....except he IS an idiot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Sounds like Obama....except he IS an idiot!
There was absolutely no reason bring Obama into this thread, but comparing him to Hitler sure makes you seem classy

Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
There was absolutely no reason bring Obama into this thread, but comparing him to Hitler sure makes you seem classy
Here come the leftie lies.

I did NOT compare him to hitler.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Here come the leftie lies.

I did NOT compare him to hitler.
Really? Maybe I'm reading different posts than you. Ya know, the one that called Hitler a lying politician, but not an idiot and you said 'yes, like obama except he is an idiot'.

Thinly veiled, but a comparison nonetheless. You had zero reason to bring Obama into this conversation, but you decided to when you could compare him to Hitler. Again, stay classy.

Oh, and I'm not a 'leftie'. I just don't like BS.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,793,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hitler was NOT a hater of religion, just the opposite in fact.

Who says I am not under the special protection of God?
Adolf Hitler

As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.
Adolf Hitler

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.
Adolf Hitler
Hitler twisted the scriptures to suit his agenda

Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,398,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I'm not "getting it"? For the nineteenth gazillionth time, where did I say anything about God? Or other planets? Where in the world do you broken records come up with this stuff? You're behaving like brainwashed automatons. About the only thing I have to say about God is .. if he indeed exists ... he's not just "their" God, or my God ... he'll be yours too ... so it wouldn't be unwise to hedge your bets. Just sayin'

Any questions?
Yes. I have questions for you.

If you believe in Intelligent Design as you say, then:

What do you think 'designed' human beings?

Where did the model for the design come from?

Why were we designed the way we are, instead of in a form with more efficient, less flawed components/capabilities?

What components were we 'manufactured' from, and where did the components come from?

How many human beings were designed in the first 'manufacturing' run?

When were we designed? Ie When did humans begin to exist?

Last edited by Ceist; 04-17-2012 at 05:37 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,094,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
We're going to use some heavy stuff here: a philosophical argument called the Kalam Cosmological Argument...

Premise--Universe has distinct beginning.

Information--Things with beginnings by definition have points (why is this begun?)

Don't try this argument; it doesn't work. Don't say we're just here because our "ancient ancestors" adapted to their environment from radically different forms by accident.
There's too much evidence for that.
Therefore--The Universe is caused.
The Kalam Cosmological Argument fails because in order to reach its intended conclusions it must contradict its own premises. Each of its versions is founded on one or more related empirical truths such as the Law of Causation or the Laws of Conservation. But using these as a starting point can only lead to an infinite regress. If every effect must have a cause, then there can be no "first' or "uncaused cause" as such a thing is a direct violation of the premise.

As a result, the KCA can only lead to the logical conclusion of an infinite universe that has no beginning and no end. And this is where the argument breaks down. The arguer (if they intend to conclude the existence of God) must abandon logic for intuition and arbitrarily break the infinite chain of causality. The argument cannot conclude God, so it instead asserts God and justifies it with the claim that an infinite regress is impossible.

The problem is that there is no basis for declaring an infinite regress impossible. The Law of Causality demands an infinite regress. The Laws of Conservation demand an infinite regress. Just because it is counter intuitive provides no logical basis for violating those laws arbitrarily.

In this way, the KCA actually only manages to prove logically that the universe is infinite. The conclusion that it is caused by God is an arbitrary addendum that follows from nothing that preceded it.

PS. The Big Bang is not the beginning of the universe. It is the point at which the universe became as it is now. The universe itself is (according to the logical prelude of the KCA) eternal and uncreated. Theists cannot logically object to this because they already accept themselves the possibility of an eternal uncreated thing; in their case God.

PpS. Both theists and nontheists are in agreement that the Big Bang has a cause, they simply disagree over that cause's nature and character. Theists propose as cause an entity for which we have no evidence, that would be singularly unique, and that would violate the known laws of nature. Nontheists in contrast propose as cause the preexisting universe. The latter has the scientific advantages that 1) we actually have evidence that a universe can exist, 2) it is completely porsaic and ordinary rather than singular and unique, and 3) it would violate no laws of nature.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
To all those intolerant of other worldviews...

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34)
Did you mean "For those..." or "To those..."

Because the latter makes no sense. It would be you calling God "intolerant of other worldviews."

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,398,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is not a fossil - so...NO.

I do hope you knew that wasn't a fossil...
Yes dear, I know it's not a fossil.

It's the mythical 'crocoduck' that some creationists use as one of their standard strawman arguments used to attempt to 'disprove' the Theory of Evolution.

They use this nonsense strawman to claim that, because we have not found fossils from nonsense creatures like this, transitional fossils don't exist.

Quote:
[The crocoduck] was used by creationists to claim that the absence of any half-crocodile, half-duck creature disproves evolution, an argument that quickly became a popular theme used to ridicule a common misrepresentation of the theory of evolution, namely, that the theory predicts forms intermediate between any two currently living organisms.

In 2007 creationists Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort participated in a televised debate, parts of which were aired on ABC Nightline, on the existence of God.

Comfort says they produced imaginary composite pictures of what "we imagined would be genuine species-to-species transitional forms. We called one a 'crocoduck' and another was called a 'birddog.' "

These pictures were used to show exactly what they thought evolutionists believe, but can't back up through the fossil record."[4] Their composite picture of the imaginary "crocoduck" showed the head of a crocodile on a duck's body.
Crocoduck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you didn't answer the question. What do you think a transitional fossil is?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 AM

Muslims make the same argument for the Qur'an.

You can't both be right.

But you can both be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies