Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM

51 posts, read 53,054 times

Advertisements

why would it be a media non-event and not even reported? Is it because whites are less likely to have a victim mentality and greater understanding/appreciation of private establishment rights and recognition, or is it because even if said event was reported to media outlets it would be deemed a non -event, non-shock value story by publishers/editors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,998,127 times
Happened to me in college (1980's). In those days that particular state was a state with club laws in place. Simple fact was that whites were not allowed to join two particular clubs in that town. Did I miss out on hearing some good jazz as a result? Yes. In the scheme of my life, or even the next day after I was refused entry, was it important? No.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,417,861 times
I think it depends on the person - not the color of their skin. If I'm not allowed someplace, then that is not where I want to be anyway. Uppity places are never fun.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,993,005 times
You are assuming there are "Black Bars". There are not....there are Bars that are frequented by majority black and a white person may get some glares.......It is interesting isn't it.....to be on the other side....
It does not feel good to be out numbered 30 to 1.....

Now there are still many place that will not allow a black......You may even be shot in your own neighborhood for being black.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,417,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
You are assuming there are "Black Bars". There are not....there are Bars that are frequented by majority black and a white person may get some glares.......It is interesting isn't it.....to be on the other side....

Now there are still many place that will not allow a black......You may even be shot in your own neighborhood for being black.
In the St. Louis area, you get shot in East St. Louis for being white. I think the same goes for certain barrios where if you are black or white, you can get shot. People are stupid that way.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,165,567 times
True Story:

While in college in Nashville, Tennessee, a few friends and I decided on a random Tuesday night that we wanted to drink some beer and see some naked women. So we set out to find a strip club. Strip clubs weren't our normal form of entertanment, so we didn't actually know where to go. As we drove into downtown Nashville searching, we whipped it into the first neon red "ADULT" parking lot sign we saw.

As we approached the door, we encountered a black doorman checking ID's and taking money. He looked at us and said "Ya'll don't want to go in there. This ain't ya'lls kind of place." My friend asked "This is a strip club isn't it?" The reply was "Yeah, there's naked girls in there but they don't want none of ya'll."

Then it occurred to us......."This is an all-black strip club!" We didn't insist on going in to see the action, but it was pretty clear that the doorman didn't want us in there, either.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM

27,713 posts, read 16,213,676 times
I was in an unfamiliar town looking for a hair cut. I walked in and there was a black woman doin a black womans hair. A funny look ensued. We both understood eachother and I walked out. NO Friggin BIg.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM

994 posts, read 726,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post

Such as where? The Trayvon Martin case is national news but you're saying there are entire neighborhoods where minorities are shot on sight?

Sorry but I find that difficult to believe.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,602,282 times
How about if there was 1 specific channel called WET (white entertainment television). We have BET and I dont see any whites making a big fuss about it. Would blacks be ok about WET without causing an uproar?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM

831 posts, read 682,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
True Story:

While in college in Nashville, Tennessee, a few friends and I decided on a random Tuesday night that we wanted to drink some beer and see some naked women. So we set out to find a strip club. Strip clubs weren't our normal form of entertanment, so we didn't actually know where to go. As we drove into downtown Nashville searching, we whipped it into the first neon red "ADULT" parking lot sign we saw.

As we approached the door, we encountered a black doorman checking ID's and taking money. He looked at us and said "Ya'll don't want to go in there. This ain't ya'lls kind of place." My friend asked "This is a strip club isn't it?" The reply was "Yeah, there's naked girls in there but they don't want none of ya'll."

Then it occurred to us......."This is an all-black strip club!" We didn't insist on going in to see the action, but it was pretty clear that the doorman didn't want us in there, either.
Perhaps he thought he was doing you and your friends a favor by letting you know the score, if he really didnt give a damn and wanted some entertainment, im sure he could easily let you in just for kicks just to see some white asses be dragged out of the bar, but then im sure they wont take too kindly for his ignorrance and neglect therefore loosing his job?

I have had friends who have done some door jobs and they let the wrong people in and it ended up in chaos and lose of job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies