Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,801,128 times

Advertisements

...but their outcome, and the Opinions and Dissents, won't be released until June 2012.

As the article points out, even this vote isn't necessarily 100% binding. Justices have been known to change their vote after the "formal" votes (such as the one today), though that is rare. And in very isolated instances, such a change of vote, even has changed the outcome of a case.

To no one's surprise, the example given of a Justice changing his vote later, is Anthony Kennedy.

But in all likelihood, after today it's all over but the writing... and the liberals screaming conspiracy, bribery, heartlessness, and all the usual reaction they present when the Constitution is properly upheld.

Damn, I wish Scalia had a Twitter account.

-----------------------------------------

Justices Meet Friday To Vote On ObamaCare But Opinion Not Expected Until June | Fox News

Justices meet Friday to vote on ObamaCare but opinion not expected until June

Published March 30, 2012
Associated Press

WASHINGTON – While the rest of us have to wait until June, the justices of the Supreme Court will know the likely outcome of the historic health care case by the time they go home this weekend.

After months of anticipation, thousands of pages of briefs and more than six hours of arguments, the justices will vote on the fate of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul in under an hour Friday morning. They will meet in a wood-paneled conference room on the court's main floor. No one else will be present.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,140,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
...but their outcome, and the Opinions and Dissents, won't be released until June 2012.

As the article points out, even this vote isn't necessarily 100% binding. Justices have been known to change their vote after the "formal" votes (such as the one today), though that is rare. And in very isolated instances, such a change of vote, even has changed the outcome of a case.

To no one's surprise, the example given of a Justice changing his vote later, is Anthony Kennedy.

But in all likelihood, after today it's all over but the writing... and the liberals screaming conspiracy, bribery, heartlessness, and all the usual reaction they present when the Constitution is properly upheld.

Damn, I wish Scalia had a Twitter account.

-----------------------------------------

Justices Meet Friday To Vote On ObamaCare But Opinion Not Expected Until June | Fox News

Justices meet Friday to vote on ObamaCare but opinion not expected until June

Published March 30, 2012
Associated Press

WASHINGTON – While the rest of us have to wait until June, the justices of the Supreme Court will know the likely outcome of the historic health care case by the time they go home this weekend.

After months of anticipation, thousands of pages of briefs and more than six hours of arguments, the justices will vote on the fate of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul in under an hour Friday morning. They will meet in a wood-paneled conference room on the court's main floor. No one else will be present.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

It's a first vote, S.O.P.

The opinions will not be written until the briefs are read, and there are thousands of pages.

Don't get your tighty whitys in a wad yet.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ote/53873778/1

That initial decision may be altered as drafts of majority and dissenting opinions are written, circulated and rewritten, often many times. It might even be reversed during the lengthy writing process if one or more justices switch sides.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,772,434 times
Straw poll, no big whoop.

I believe the mandate is dead. What happens with the rest of this POS Obummer law is what I really care about.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,163,867 times
I was lurking on a liberal political chat forum a few nights ago and it was amazing the amount of lies, slander, and vitriolic hatred for the Supreme Court being pushed by what the average person would easily determine to be "the bottom of the barrel of liberal lunatics."

I even stepped forward and urged those liberals to do Barack Obama a favor by at least trying to be an informed voter for the 2012 election.

You know it was bad when I was saying something in support of the President.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I was lurking on a liberal political chat forum a few nights ago and it was amazing the amount of lies, slander, and vitriolic hatred for the Supreme Court being pushed by what the average person would easily determine to be "the bottom of the barrel of liberal lunatics."

I even stepped forward and urged those liberals to do Barack Obama a favor by at least trying to be an informed voter for the 2012 election.

You know it was bad when I was saying something in support of the President.

OK, I'll just take your word for it.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,163,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK, I'll just take your word for it.
Matters not to me if you do or not.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Matters not to me if you do or not.

I know, and I don't.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What happens with the rest of this POS Obummer law is what I really care about.
Hopefully it will go down in flames and take him with it.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times
vote today...but wont get the info (results) till june.....gotta love it

Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
vote today...but wont get the info (results) till june.....gotta love it

please read up on it. It's the first vote, there will be reversals, rewritten opinions galore before June. It isn't a final vote by any means. The briefs are thousands of pages long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies