Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Will The Supreme Court Do With ObamaCare?
The Court will uphold the law as it is 6 18.75%
The Court will strike the mandate but sever the rest of the law 10 31.25%
The Court will defer until the law takes effect in 2014 1 3.13%
The Court will strike the law entirely 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,142,691 times

Advertisements

The Supreme Court has now heard all the arguments and they have to decide the fate of ObamaCare. Basically there are 4 ways this can go down as I see it. They are:
1. The Court will uphold the law completely
2. The Court will strike the individual mandate but sever the rest of the law and uphold it
3. The Court will use the standing argument and defer on the technicality that the plaintiffs do not have the right to bring suit against a law until it takes effect in 2014
4. The Court will strike the law in its entirety.

If I were a betting man, I would go half and half on 1 or 2. I do not think the Court will defer or strike the law completely. There are a few schools of thought here. One is that the Court is very unhappy with Obama about the dressing down he gave them at the State of the Union over the Citizens United decision and they are chomping at the bit to get even with Obama by making him look stupid. The other school is that the Court generally does not like to pick fights with the other branches of government whom, after all, the Court depends on to enforce its decsions. The Court views itself as needing the respect of the other branches and picks its fights carefully. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 11:21 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,487,407 times
Probably number 2. Obama's folks weren't able to articulate a good limiting principle for their mandate, so the court will be conservative and not accept it.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,390,868 times
Obviously, as with affirmative action and censorship, there will be a "split decision" with additional rulings and legislative responses to follow.

All but the most simplistic conservatives understand that the health care dilemna which has been festering for over twenty years is the result of short-sighted actions by several players. The "traditional" system built around Blue Cross and Blue Shield could not sustain itself -- not only due to new competitors who preached short-sight, but also due to the wave of immogration and the emergence of new segments of a growing economy -- not all of them subject to the same set of rules and with varying degrees of public-sector influence/distortion.

We need to confinue reforming the system, but the "single-payer" panacea peddled by the people on the speaker's left is just a guarante we'll all end up in the ghetto that is Meicaid. Better to strip the recent excesses back to the bare bones, then rebuild with as strong an incentive for encouraging and rewardig those who understand the need for taking charge of their own destiny.

The rest, as always, will lie in their ignorance and delusion like a pig in slop; I will fight tooth-and-nail not to be forced to join them. (And I have a sneaking suspicion that the flunkies recently elevarted to the Court by the Gang of Looters will faithfully do their best to continue diluting the options for the responsible and the non-conformistic).

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM

867 posts, read 500,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
The Supreme Court has now heard all the arguments and they have to decide the fate of ObamaCare. Basically there are 4 ways this can go down as I see it. They are:
1. The Court will uphold the law completely
2. The Court will strike the individual mandate but sever the rest of the law and uphold it
3. The Court will use the standing argument and defer on the technicality that the plaintiffs do not have the right to bring suit against a law until it takes effect in 2014
4. The Court will strike the law in its entirety.

If I were a betting man, I would go half and half on 1 or 2. I do not think the Court will defer or strike the law completely. There are a few schools of thought here. One is that the Court is very unhappy with Obama about the dressing down he gave them at the State of the Union over the Citizens United decision and they are chomping at the bit to get even with Obama by making him look stupid. The other school is that the Court generally does not like to pick fights with the other branches of government whom, after all, the Court depends on to enforce its decsions. The Court views itself as needing the respect of the other branches and picks its fights carefully. What do you think?
It is over-reaching, vague, and impossible to comprehend in its totality.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,242,673 times
I hate to try and second guess how the final decision will go. I feel sure that Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito will vote to strike it down and that Ginsberg, Kagan, Sotomayor and Breyer will vote to uphold it. How Kennedy will vote is the great unknown.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM

33,603 posts, read 18,251,584 times
Obamacare cannot stand without the mandate. The mandate will be struck down . The mandate is the funding of the bill. Without the funding which will be if the mandate stood,, making everyone pay into it , Obamacare is dead.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,239,187 times
I think that the scotus will take obamas statement as a challenge and rule the law unconstitutional in its entirety. I figure 6/3 or 7/2 ruling against obamacare.

it will be enough of a ruling where no future president will ever think about making UHC an issue again. a good thing.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,412,255 times
I have no idea. I've heard differing opinions from people much smarter than me. Right now on Intrade.com, the market predicts a 63% chance that the mandate will be tossed.

Intrade - The US Supreme Court to rule individual mandate unconstitutional before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012 is 63.8% probable

Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM

136 posts, read 86,095 times
Option 4 I hope.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,239,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have no idea. I've heard differing opinions from people much smarter than me. Right now on Intrade.com, the market predicts a 63% chance that the mandate will be tossed.

Intrade - The US Supreme Court to rule individual mandate unconstitutional before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012 is 63.8% probable

hopefully it will decide it is unconstitutional before November 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies