Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 AM

840 posts, read 782,969 times

Advertisements

Utah lawmakers pass bill to curb sex education in schools - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/utah-lawmakers-pass-bill-curb-sex-education-schools-045319709.html - broken link)

Good! Should be left up to the parents and should be voluntary in schools. As usual the democrats in Utah says a parent can't be expected to do this for their kids. Believe me my parents never had "the talk" with me. I was old enough to figure it all out for my self. Democrat's want a cradle to grave nanny system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
It's the parent's job. Health/sex-ed has it's place in school but should NOT be the replacement for what is the responsibility of the parent.

Just seems that too many think the education system is a replacement for family and upbringing.
School is for academic learning.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Utah lawmakers pass bill to curb sex education in schools - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/utah-lawmakers-pass-bill-curb-sex-education-schools-045319709.html - broken link)

Good! Should be left up to the parents and should be voluntary in schools. As usual the democrats in Utah says a parent can't be expected to do this for their kids. Believe me my parents never had "the talk" with me. I was old enough to figure it all out for my self. Democrat's want a cradle to grave nanny system.

From an early age, my parents were very open with me.

Lots of questions get asked, when it is spring time and all the animals and bugs on the farm are hooked together.

Sex education in my time at school, consisted of the parts and how it works, not how it is done and the emotional side of sex.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,124,366 times
A law curbing sex indoctrination in school? Does that mean the law does away with sex-related dress codes (probably the number one thing people do to indoctrinate sex)? In Utah, boys can now come to school dressed in dresses freely?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,651,157 times
The news piece uses the word 'education.' The OP says 'indoctrination.' Hmm...who's more biased?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,951,422 times
Sex Ed shouldn't be taught in schools it should be taught by a father, mother or her sister wives.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,927,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Sex Ed shouldn't be taught in schools it should be taught by a father, mother or her sister wives.
Many Catholic priests would be more than willing to teach any young boys the more practical aspects of sex. All in a safe, confidential environment of course.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM

289 posts, read 311,839 times
Quote:

Of course, anyone who actually read the link would know that sex ed in Utah was already "left up to the parents and....voluntary in schools":

Quote:
At present, Utah school districts can offer sex education classes, with some restrictions, and parents decide whether their teenage children can take the elective class or not.
Instead, what they really aim to accomplish with this bill is to (according to the article):

Quote:
ban public schools from teaching contraception as a way of preventing pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases
Quote:
bar instruction on homosexuality or other aspects of human sexuality
Quote:
bar instruction....except for materials that encourage abstinence before marriage
Because, apparently, sticking our collective heads in the sand will lead to the desired results..... (that's assuming, of course, that we can even agree on what the "desired results" are)

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,643,792 times
Quote:

Good! Should be left up to the parents and should be voluntary in schools.
Sounds like Utah is on the right track.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,866,158 times
How long before "conservatism" bans the "institutions of indoctrination" that schools are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies