Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The teenagers, who are going to bear the consequences of this stupid decision, are generally not free to live where they want.
You assume no parent can teach their kid about contraceptives here.
That only the government, through the education system, can do it.

Utah is not canceling sex ed classes. They are just not going to talk about contraceptives.

Kids today are a lot smarter than you think. Condoms are right out in supermarket displays, no longer hidden behind the counter.
Kids don't need permission to go to PP and get on the pill either.

Well teen pregnancy is still the highest in the world so government education isn't making that great of strides either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM

47,035 posts, read 26,117,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You assume no parent can teach their kid about contraceptives here.
That only the government, through the education system, can do it.
Have you read any of my posts? Some parents will take on that responsibility. Some parents won't, or can't, or refuse to accept the idea that their precious little princess is turning into a woman with - gasp - actual desires. This is simply a fact, mmmkay?

Quote:
Utah is not canceling sex ed classes. They are just not going to talk about contraceptives.
Yes, and that's stupid. Parents were 100% within their rights to take kids out of Sex Ed classes before. But they're not happy to just keep their own kids ignorant, now everybody has to be.

Quote:
Well teen pregnancy is still the highest in the world so government education isn't making that great of strides either.
That's no excuse for making it less effective, now is it?

This law will leave Utah with a group of teenagers who are less informed about contraception that they would have been otherwise. That's not even debatable. Can anyone come up with a scenario where that will improve the teen pregnancy rate situation?

Old 03-09-2012, 01:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can anyone come up with a scenario where that will improve the teen pregnancy rate situation?
I honestly don't think so. We've tried both sides of the coin here and there's now a lot of unhappy people at both ends.

Teen pregnancy has not declined. Teen mothers have declined though..84% of abortions are had by women younger than 24.

Isn't that the ultimate goal..unwed teen mothers ?
Does it matter how that is achieved ?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,639,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Why do you need a class in school to teach you about sex?

You don't need a class in how to have sex.
No offense to anyone here when I say this, but in my experience for the past few years going back to college after quite a bit of time is this: kids in high school are dumber these days than when I went to high school.

I have had countless kids (18-23) complaining that the work is "too hard" and they just "don't get it", and that "no one reads anymore", so why should they, and "all this writing, is stupid". Then they complain when they either fail or pass with a D. All this stuff they were complaining about was stuff I was doing in HS in the 90's! So far, all the gen ed core classes I have taken are basic, and remember going more in depth in some cases back when I was a teen.

With that said, some teens NEED to learn about the "dark side" of sex. If abstainance only is taught, then they don't get that aspect. I know as a mom of teenage girls that sex IS going to happen. It's very rare to have a kid who graduates HS and college a virgin.

Sex Ed classes don't teach the kids how to have sex, it teaches them how NOT to have sex. From checking for visible STD's, to properly using protection (in various forms), to making sure they are physically and most importantly MENTALLY ready to have sex.

We all know abstainance only sex ed doesn't work, it just doesn't. So why not give kids the info that does work?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM

1,349 posts, read 666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teen pregnancy is actually down not up. What do you fear ?
Maybe, just maybe, sex education had a tiny something to do with that?

Just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies