Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Funny, I'm a liberal too, and I agree with this list. I'll add some more things I personally happen to believe:

* I believe in the right to bear arms.
* I believe in maintaining a strong, capable military force for national defense.
* I believe in the right of every American to hold and practice whatever relgious beliefs they want, no matter how hokey (to me) or antiquated (to me). So long as one's beliefs aren't being used as a basis for state control, I'm good with whatever.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
This liberal believes in:

Flat taxation
Lower corporate tax
Single payer health coverage
Repeal of the inheritance tax
The 2nd Amendment (I don't like some current interpretations)
Gay marriage
Pro choice
Strong public education
Strong social safety net
Nationalization of our natural resources
Reduce foreign aid expenditures
Reduce the size of the military
Improved infrastructure
Legalize Marijuana
Legalize prostitution

and a bunch of other stuff...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
I find it interesting that in a thread about being a liberal, there are few examples of liberties and much more examples of spending. At it's core, liberalism is the defense of liberties and equal rights. I'd want to see peoples views on these subjects

Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Very well said and just what I was going to say. I would only add that I don't consider what is said by the OP to be mainstream as long as progressives are the ones in power. Of course, that thinking is just what I think about nearly all those things so he can't be mainstream on this forum.
really? because i'm a liberal too and his beliefs are very similar too mine. and every other liberal or progressive in my circle of friends and family.

I think YOU've been brainwashed by people who want you to THINIK liberals are something that they're not, and you just failed to do basic research

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
really? because i'm a liberal too and his beliefs are very similar too mine. and every other liberal or progressive in my circle of friends and family.

I think YOU've been brainwashed by people who want you to THINIK liberals are something that they're not, and you just failed to do basic research
Right on. Proof of my original point.

What liberals actually believe and what Roy and other right wingers THINK we believe are two totally separate things. They spend great time and effort bashing, yet never realize they are bashing a belief system that doesn't exist.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That certainly not the agenda our conservative political party has been pushing for decades............
This country has not had a political party which represents Conservatives (Constiutitonal & fiscal) for decades, thus the major split in ideologies within the GOP at present.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
mlassoff - yep, you're a liberal

"I hope you'll support publicly funded elections with NO donations allowed so the candidates are influenced by/beholden to corporate/union/religious/overseas interests."

Doesn't support First Amendment freedom of political speech.

"right to bear arms... Sure, with reasonable limitations. No one needs a private arsenal of assault weapons"

Doesn't support Second Amendment and individual liberty - it is not up to you (or the Government) to determine quantity and type of weapons someone owns. "Assault weapons" is liberal-speak for scary semi-automatic rifles.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I find it interesting that in a thread about being a liberal, there are few examples of liberties and much more examples of spending. At it's core, liberalism is the defense of liberties and equal rights. I'd want to see peoples views on these subjects
Just cause the words have the same root does not make them the same word. While I am sure the Libs around here believe in freedom (as do the conservatives), I think we take liberal to mean progressive. I would distance myself from many libertarian beliefs..

Are you a homosexual because you are a homosapian?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This country has not had a political party which represents Conservatives (Constiutitonal & fiscal) for decades, thus the major split in ideologies within the GOP at present.
The country has not had a party that represents liberals for decades, at least not one that fits the definition of liberalism

Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Just cause the words have the same root does not make them the same word. While I am sure the Libs around here believe in freedom (as do the conservatives), I think we take liberal to mean progressive. I would distance myself from many libertarian beliefs..

Are you a homosexual because you are a homosapian?
Great point, what are words after all. Liberal and progressive are two different things. Liberalism means to promote liberty, progressive means to progress. I'm not sayng there can't be an overlap, but they are not mutually exclusive. I think you really meant progressive, which is sharp contrast to conservativs. Conservatives wish to conserve, progressives want to progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies