Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,575,327 times

Advertisements

Next step is to force all the breeders to divorce and then a same sex partner will be assigned to each one. In your face sanctity of marriage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM

611 posts, read 1,614,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
A smart move since the 9th circuit is overturned more often than any other circuit. They are a contra-indicator. If they say yes, the answer is usually "NO".

You will get your "NO soon, and decency an common sense will, once again, prevail. The shock to your sensibilities will be double or triple when it hits.

Marriage, is, has always, and will always be what it is, the union of 1 man and 1 woman.
Decency and common sense shall prevail once again, you're right. And this is one step closer to that happening.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM

28,336 posts, read 16,490,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It wasnt a difficult question. You can have a contract with 100's of parties, not just two (purchase of Empire State Building for example. Does this mean we should allow marriages with 100's of individuals just because a contract allows it?
No, it's not a difficult question, just not easily comprehensible (to me, at least) the way it was originally phrased. Honestly? I don't have a problem with polygamy, either. They want to get married, go for it. What difference does it make to me?

Quote:
yes, there are states that dont allow two legal adults to adopt if they are not married, regardless of sexial orientation if they arent married.
That should also be changed, IMO. However, if same-sex marriage was allowed, it would at least be *closer* to being fair, IMO.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,735,484 times
Quote:
Marriage, is, has always, and will always be what it is, the union of 1 man and 1 woman.
This laddie does not know his history.

In America where the union of 1 man and 1 woman is common, it is also common to have serial polygamy, that is, men and women commonly have more than one spouse, serially. A practice condemned by the bible and that condemnation ignored by those who claim the bible as their "book of rules"

Quote:
Fraternal polyandry was traditionally practiced among nomadic Tibetans in Nepal, parts of China and part of northern India, in which two or more brothers are married to the same wife, with the wife having equal 'sexual access' to them.
Quote:
According to the Ethnographic Atlas Codebook, of 1,231 societies noted, 186 were monogamous. 453 had occasional polygyny, 588 had more frequent polygyny, and 4 had polyandry.[3] At the same time, even within societies which allow polygyny, the actual practice of polygyny occurs relatively rarely. There are exceptions: in Senegal, for example, nearly 47 percent of marriages are multiple
Quote:
Polygamy was practiced in many sections of Hindu society in ancient times. There was one example of polyandry in the ancient Hindu epic, Mahabharata, Draupadi marries the five Pandava brothers. Regarding polygyny, in Ramayana, father of Ram, King Dasharath has three wives, but Ram has pledged himself just one wife.
Quote:
n Buddhism, marriage is not a sacrament. It is purely a secular affair and the monks do not participate in it, though in some sects priests and monks do marry (e.g. Japan). Hence it receives no religious sanction
Quote:
Judaism
[edit]Biblical practice
See also: Pilegesh
Multiple marriage was considered a realistic alternative in the case of famine, widowhood, or female infertility[14] like in the practice of levirate marriage, wherein a man was required to marry and support his deceased brother's widow, as mandated by Deuteronomy 25:5–10. Despite its prevalence in the Hebrew bible, scholars do not believe that polygyny was commonly practiced in the biblical era because it required a significant amount of wealth.[15]
Polygyny continued to be practised well into the biblical period, and it is attested among Jews as late as the second century CE
Quote:
polygamy still occurs in non-European Jewish communities that exist in countries where it is not forbidden, such as Jewish communities in Yemen and the Arab world. Technically, polygamy is not forbidden in Jewish law.
And of course there are today people who identify themselves as Mormons who practice polygamy. As polygamy was permitted under Mormonism until Utah had to end it in order to join the Union as a state.

Anyone who thinks
Quote:
simply does not know history.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,344,880 times
Quote:
Please name one contract that 100+ people cant also enter into outside of marriage. Is this really an argument you want to use?

But since you asked, adoption contracts are usually prohibited from entering into with unmarried two people.
Not in Colorado. Gay couples can adopt here. I'm pretty sure most more enlightened states allow gay couples to adopt now.

I'm sure you just hate the idea of gay and lesbian parents, but we're a growing force

Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It wasnt a difficult question. You can have a contract with 100's of parties, not just two (purchase of Empire State Building for example. Does this mean we should allow marriages with 100's of individuals just because a contract allows it?

yes, there are states that dont allow two legal adults to adopt if they are not married, regardless of sexial orientation if they arent married.

Well, why don't you find 100 people who want to enter a "marriage contract" together and then we'll have that discussion. But until you find those 100 people, it's a stupid comparison.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,334,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, it's not a difficult question, just not easily comprehensible (to me, at least) the way it was originally phrased. Honestly? I don't have a problem with polygamy, either. They want to get married, go for it. What difference does it make to me?
Well using the argument that a group of people can enter into a contract to buy a building, or anything else for that matter, should mean that another group of individuals should be able to get married, is a stupid argument on its face. For example, my children can enter into a contract to work for me, according to your argument, this means I should be allowed to marry my children as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That should also be changed, IMO. However, if same-sex marriage was allowed, it would at least be *closer* to being fair, IMO.
That argument can only be made if one believes in legalized gay marriages, or polygamy for that matter. Should 20 people be allowed to adopt 1 individual?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well using the argument that a group of people can enter into a contract to buy a building, or anything else for that matter, should mean that another group of individuals should be able to get married, is a stupid argument on its face. For example, my children can enter into a contract to work for me, according to your argument, this means I should be allowed to marry my children as well.

That argument can only be made if one believes in legalized gay marriages, or polygamy for that matter. Should 20 people be allowed to adopt 1 individual?
Should a toaster be allowed to marry a butterfly? AAAAHHHH!!! Where does it all end! lol!

You're on the losing (bigoted) side of the argument. Gay people will have the right to marry anywhere in the U.S. at some point.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,877,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hopefully we'll change the discrimination against single people and treat all people the same under the tax code one day.

Heck no. Married people are worth twice as much as single people.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,334,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Should a toaster be allowed to marry a butterfly? AAAAHHHH!!! Where does it all end! lol!
Neither a toaster, or a butterfly can enter into a contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You're on the losing (bigoted) side of the argument. Gay people will have the right to marry anywhere in the U.S. at some point.
FAIL. I've stated here numerous times that gay marriages will ultimately be deemed legal by the Supreme Court. That doesnt mean I shouldnt point out stupid arguments in support of it. Like the one you just made..

hahaha.. ooh the stupidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies