Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,316,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Good news. This marriage debate is silly and going on for far too long. Gay marriage does nothing to take away any rights of straight marriage. They have no impact on each other.

The gay couple who live nextdoor to my parents in Iowa got married a year ago. No one cared. Everyone who wants to go to church still does. The neighborhood didn't burn down. It didn't destroy my parents marriage. People were adults about it and did what they do whenever anyone gets married, said congrats and moved on.

Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, 6 of our states, many other cities and districts around the world have gay marriage and no one is falling into a pit of fire.

If you don't like gay marriage then don't get one. It's hardly like gay people are going to be racing down to your Catholic church during mass and demanding to get married. Gay people respect organized religion about as much as organized religion accepts gay people or anyone else they don't specifically agree with.

Relgious people are backing themselves into a corner on the topic, screaming and yelling. The thing they don't understand is that everyone else DOESN'T CARE. Everyone else just wants them to go away. Go complain amongst themselves. The more you throw fits about every little thing that isn't going your way, the more you're just going to marginalize yourself to the extremes of normal society.
Great post! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM

994 posts, read 728,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Your use of the word "circus" is a sure sign of contempt for an institution entrusted with a sacred duty that is suppossed to be above politics. If you don't like America, you can leave...

Marriage doesn't necessarily mean "one man and one woman", that is only true if your are a conservative fundamentalist Christian. And many Americans aren't. So why should they get to decide what marriage means?
But the 9th isn't above politics and doesn't perform its duty, so I see no problem with holding it in contempt.

Marriage doesn't necessarily mean anything, really. It's not like a rock or a tree that has its own objective physical reality. Marriage is just a formalized association between individuals. Therefore, it can be defined however you want it. And so, given that this country was founded on Judeo-Christian values, it makes sense to define it as one man and one woman.

That being said, I do think gay people should be allowed to marry each other.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM

28,336 posts, read 16,542,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That 10 year old can indeed sign and enforce a contract. YOU can not enforce it. Why is this difficult for you?

they absolutely can sign and enforce contracts. YOU however being the adult, can not enforce it, and no matter how many times you guys sit here in denial, you are wrong.

Parents dont have the legal authority to enter into a contract to force their children to do something, the only reason why parents sign contracts is to ensure liability in the event of damage.
Fine, I stand corrected, although I'm with Edward, what use is a "contract" if one side can simply void it at any time for any (or no) reason?

Regardless, my original question stands:

What legal basis is there to prevent two people of legal age from entering into a contract based solely on the sex of the parties involved?

Sounds like sexual discrimination to me.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,442,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Enter into a legally binding contract on behalf of the majority, not the minority
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How many 5 year olds have a credit card that you know of - who didn't get them because of identity theft?
Still cant understand? Wow...

No one is going to issue a 5 year old a credit card because the CREDIT CARD company cant enforce the terms, that doesnt mean that if a bank issued a credit card to a 5 year old, that the 5 year old doesnt have the authority to force them because they do.

For gods sakes ask for a refund on your education expenses.

Minors and Contract Lawyers | LegalMatch Law Library

Generally speaking, minors who enter into sports or entertainment contracts are held to them, and cannot void them at will.

A minor who decides to void a contract because of his age must void the entire contract. The law does not let them to continue to enforce some of the contract while voiding other parts.

17,290 posts, read 29,540,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Those who fall for anything, stand for nothing. Also I am not religious I haven't been to church outside of a marriage, baptism or funeral in about a decade.

My objection to gay marriage is based on tradition and that throughout the entire span of human history, throughout diverse cultures even those that were tolerant of homosexuality. There has never been an institution called gay marriage until the West in its infinite wisdom decided so.

It's the height of arrogance and hubris to institute such an institution now.

Pffft. What a load of crap.

The "West" in its infinite wisdom has done away or instituted a lot of NEW enlightened institutions, in the face of tradition:

Abolishment of slavery
Women's Equality
Freedom of Religion
Freedom of Speech
Democratic process

Etc. etc. etc.

Civilization and society belongs to the living generations. Even Thomas Jefferson believed that the Constitution should have a natural lifespan of just 19 years, because generations have different needs.

Those that cling to ideals and traditions that do not fit the demands of the living, and instead are what the dead believed, reduce themselves to relics. Dinosaurs with ideas that will eventually be relegated to the dustbin of history.

5,717 posts, read 16,417,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
What an idiotic post. You can, i would think, do better than that, but perhaps not.
No, idiocy is saying "we've always done it this way so it must be right."

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM

28,336 posts, read 16,542,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
...My objection to gay marriage is based on tradition and that throughout the entire span of human history, throughout diverse cultures even those that were tolerant of homosexuality. There has never been an institution called gay marriage until the West in its infinite wisdom decided so....
It's not gay marriage - it's just marriage.

Appeal to Tradition is a logical fallacy, BTW.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,442,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Fine, I stand corrected, although I'm with Edward, what use is a "contract" if one side can simply void it at any time for any (or no) reason?
There are lots of uses for them. You can enter into a contract with a minor to cut your grass. They agree to cut it, you agree to pay them. You might do so because its cheaper to hire a minor then a landscaping company and willing to take the risk, since we're only discussing grass.

As a child I had a contract to deliver newspapers, I agreed to deliver, they agreed to pay me. If I chose to stop delivering newspapers they couldnt sue me, but if they chose not to pay me, I could have sued them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Regardless, my original question stands:

What legal basis is there to prevent two people of legal age from entering into a contract based solely on the sex of the parties involved?

Sounds like sexual discrimination to me.
What legal reason is there to prevent people from parking unregistered vehicles in their driveway? How about a law which says you cant dump soil in your yard without a permit? (one I'm fighting now). Government sets the standards and regulates everything in our lives, and while I'm not in support of many of them, to simply say they dont have the authority is ridiculous considering the left wing just went through claiming goverment can force you to buy health insurance.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,765,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And today, the 9th Circus 3-judge panel has said.... Traditional marriage is unconstitutional. The fundamental definition of marriage MUST be changed, and same-sex couples must be included.

Off to the appeals process.....

You left your closet door open while you were busy judging others
and your skeletons have fallen out !

Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,554,372 times
As a straight guy who likes straight women, I support the right of gays to marry each other. I don't know why there is so much opposition to this. Live and let live. Gays don't intrude into your bedroom activities with your girlfriend/wife.....why should you intrude into theirs? Mind your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies