Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Well, he said poor people wanted to be poor.

That's the same thing as wanting to die of starvation.
No its not. Someone poor might be happy with their 27 inch television over a 120 inch one like I have. That doesnt mean they are going to die of starvation. You can be poor and still eat, thats what foodstamps are for
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Aren't you the same disinformation machine that seems to have no clue about Office for Mac that you also need to pay for just to format a binary protocol?
Openoffice is free. The fact that you bougt a Mac and then whine about it is quite funny. Did someone force you to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No its not. Someone poor might be happy with their 27 inch television over a 120 inch one like I have. That doesnt mean they are going to die of starvation. You can be poor and still eat, thats what foodstamps are for

Openoffice is free. The fact that you bougt a Mac and then whine about it is quite funny. Did someone force you to do that?

Wrong again. I didn't buy a Mac . Why do you keep talking about things you know nothing about?

OpenOffice does not accurately format it in many cases because the format is hidden and must be decoded. You obviously haven't used it or know about its long history as I do. And once again more garbage information because you are ignorant of the issue.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Ahhh...the fundamental disagreement.
Liberals see a "finite" pie and want to slice it up.
Conservatives want to grow the pie so there's more for everyone.
When someone is controlling 93% of the pie it doesnt matter how big the pie is. The top 20% control 93% of the wealth pie. If the overall wealth grows a bit they still control 93% of that pie.

Sure, you can increase the potential value of something, but does that increase the overall wealth?

17 years ago a took a few truck loads of lumber, cider block, concrete and stone and assembled my home. Wife and I invested hundreds of hours of our own labor. We also invested $250,000 or more in that material and the land. We hope our home is worth as much as $500,000. Key word, HOPE. Until we sell this thing it isn't worth a dollar. If it burnt to the ground that wealth doesn't exist even on paper.

Sure, value can be added to something thru manual labor, a finished wall is worth more than a pile of 2 x 4's. But that value is speculative. Someone might buy that wall but until it sell any value you place on it is artificial.

once I sell this home for that $500,000 how does that increase the overall wealthy. I might have gained $500,000 (minus my basis) but didn't someone else give up $500,000 for something that might not be worth anything.

There are millions of homeowners that hold homes worth less than they paid, many deep under water. Value of homes, stock and personal property are only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

I once owed some CIT stock, paid $5 or $6 for it. Well, as I recall the value fell and I believe I sold for 17 cents.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM

So, is the former owner of the bus company less wealthy? Owner give $16million in bonuses to workers from the $400million plus he receives for selling company.

Australian bus drivers split $16M bonus from boss | abc7.com

Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Yep, the poor with in a system is relative to the rich. So across systems the poor in one country will be rich compared to another.

Love the fact that in these discussions the definiton of poor is carefully avoided to make the discussion an exchange of emotions and basically worthless.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
We all pay fees.
We live in the US of A. To claim I am brainwashed is to be denying reality on an almost daily basis when yet another story of someone born into horrible conditions has made it and made it BIG.

Paying fees, being at the mercy, as you say, not me "of the rich" many of us have made a fine life for ourselves.
Your rag to riches meteoric rise prove exactly what? Let me guess, if everybody would be just as remarkable as you are, poverty no more overnight? Right? Feeling narcissistic today, huh? Yet your meteoric rise is fueled by the third world sweat shops and American poor trading their life, health and dignity for mere survival. Without them working for cheap your rise would not be possible. Nope, it's not about you, it's all about the pyramid making your rise possible by keeping others (dispossessed of their survival rights) working for ya at a huge "discount".

Quote:
If the govt. handed 100,000. dollars to each breathing citizen, for example we'd have poverty a couple of years later, again. THIS is the poverty of the soul, a human condition of which some people work hard, and some hardly work.
Nope, it's another unregurgitated thought. You see humans don't work & live in outer space vacuum, we need resources & space we do NOT need money (which is a convenient abstraction the rich use to extract labor instead of guns and swords of the past). As you guessed it right rich hold claims to overwhelming share of world's resources & space. Wage slaves must provide something useful for the rich in order to get access to the resources required for the survival, in order to live a day. In essence rich parasitize on the common resources they did nothing to create. One could write dozens of books on how minority rules and parasitize on majority and I have no time or wits for that. That's human hierarchy for you.

As a guy who experienced meteoric rise from rags to riches you should know that "compensation" doesn't correlate well with how hard you work, it correlates extremely well with your spot in a hierarchical ladder of an organization. Management is always paid more than the most hardworking grunts. Since every hierarchical pyramid has wide bottom and narrow top, what exactly you are trying to say? Everybody has a change to climb up to become a top guy therefore all the slaves wasting their health and life at the bottom levels are free? That's mighty twisted rationale. I repeat again, EVERY ROMAN SLAVE had a chance for freedom and riches.

Quote:
Some people save and some people waste their money.
Quote:

You truly are the one brainwashed if you can't see or won't admit the reality of what I just posted.
Reality is that some people save and some people waste so those who save could have more. Without spenders there are no savers, period. But, people (bankers) in charge of creating money own this country. How about that for rewarding hard work?

You should stop love affair with yourself. Because I can prove EASILY that guys who kill themselves (slowly but surely) for $8/hr to manufacture and paint steel beams for roads and buildings (just an example) have much more to do with your perch than all your hard work combined.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Wrong again. I didn't buy a Mac.
Then why the hell are you complaining about the fact one needs to pay for the protocol?
Quote:
Aren't you the same disinformation machine that seems to have no clue about Office for Mac that you also need to pay for just to format a binary protocol for the Mac?
It seems to me you cant even keep your own story straight
Quote:
OpenOffice does not accurately format it in many cases because the format is hidden and must be decoded. You obviously haven't used it or know about its long history as I do. And once again more garbage information because you are ignorant of the issue.
I bought office, rather than sitting here moaning about it, or do you suffer from that give me mentality? Thats like refusing to buy a car, and then complaining that car comanies have a monopolies on vehicles.. stupidity

Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
So, is the former owner of the bus company less wealthy? Owner give $16million in bonuses to workers from the $400million plus he receives for selling company.

Australian bus drivers split $16M bonus from boss | abc7.com
Who did the owner make poor by giving people a bonus? Remember, your argument is that rich people can only get rich by making others poor.

btw, still waiting for you to explain where all the wealth went during the recession since you claim wealth is finite.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who did the owner make poor by giving people a bonus? Remember, your argument is that rich people can only get rich by making others poor.

btw, still waiting for you to explain where all the wealth went during the recession since you claim wealth is finite.
Himself

Been explained, not my problem you have trouble reading and comprehending basic concepts.

I smell a troll.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Himself
He didnt make himself poor, did he?

Now how about you telling me where all of the wealth went during the recession..

Last edited by pghquest; 02-01-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies