Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,224,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why would he be kidding? It's a legitimate question IF tobacco smoke is as dangerous as its claimed to be, isn't it?

I mean, after all, if NO level of exposure is safe, it ought to be at the top of our priority list, right?

It's not going to happen, Tobacco will never be declared illegal.

ergo, I repeat my question...

Dude, you're kidding, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,653,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's not going to happen, Tobacco will never be declared illegal.

ergo, I repeat my question...

Dude, you're kidding, right?

Which begs the question, "Why not?" doesn't it?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,002,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The reason: People are selfish.

My parents were both heavy smokers and as a young child ('60s and early '70s) I had to BEG them to crack a window in the car so I could breath. Often the smoke affected me so much that I became physically ill in the car (a.k.a car-sick) after about 10 miles, always when they were smoking.

I was plagued by ear infections and "hay fever" until I graduated high school and left for college. By the end of my 2nd semester in college no more sign of ear aches or said allergies. However, they would re-appear when I returned home for a weekend or summer.

I was an athlete in college. Yet, a stress test through the physiology lab at my university showed me to have the vital capacity of a heavy smoker. I have never smoked in my life. I have no doubt it was my parents chain smoking in the car and home which cause my childhood illnesses and symptoms and a lasting effect on my lungs.

My parents both eventually died of lung cancer. They loved their cigaretts more than their children, and more than their own lives.

ETA: I do not know that tobacco is bad for humans; I suspect in modern cigaretts the chemical preservatives & additives used today are the carcinogens and responsible for the harmful effects, be it health or addiction ( example: addition of nicotene).
Or it could have had nothing whatsoever to do with your parents smoking at all. My mom stopped smoking three years prior to my birth and didn't start smoking again until after I was 7 years old. I was born with severe allergies that nearly killed me several times when I was a baby. They thought I would develope asthma by the time I was 4. I didn't develop asthma until I was 13 and even then it was EXTREMELY mild until I moved to Vegas for the first time when I was 19. My allergies and asthma are still around, but have gotten better over the years as I grew up and they changed.

My mom started smoking again when I was 7. She smoked in the car and in the home my entire life. I started smoking in my early 20's and my asthma has actually gotten better over the years as well as my allergies have gotten better as well. Mostly because I stayed AWAY from what I was allergic to.

My point here isn't to say that smoking is "healthy" but to say that everyone is different. Though there are studies that say a lot of things about smoking, there is little real conclusive evidence that says second hand smoke is actually dangerous. There's little evidence that smoking itself is actually dangerous. THAT's why the warnings all say "MAY increase RISK of" not, "smoking causes" whatever. Because the science doesn't say smoking causes this that or the other, it's a "factor" in some deaths, but it's not the only factor, so the science is inconclusive at best.

It's common sense that something that is a tiny bit of smoke that happens to dissapate into the air that is ciruclating throughout a car (windows open) couldn't POSSIBLY have the same or worse affect on anyone (unless they were indeed actually allergic to something in the cigerette, you can't actually be allergic to smoke any more than you can to steam), as smoking itself or the fumes coming off of any car/truck. That's just rediculous! More fear mongering from people who want to control every aspect of your life.

If you want to know what to do about someone else raising their own child the way they want to... go to live in California where the state tells you how to be a parent or else!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,002,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
To me, it is fascinating that our society is so super concerned with the welfare of our children and yet, remains rather paralyzed when it comes to indirect harm inflicted upon minors. Beat your child and you have social services at your door. Potentially ruin their health through smoking (or a bad diet, etc.) and you are fine. See a parent beat their child, call the cops; see a parent blow smoke in their kid's face, myob.

How do we, as a society, reconcile our one-sided response to such issues with the obvious concern we have for the welfare of our children?
You've actually answered your own question.... because one is a direct imminent threat to the welfare of the child, while the other is only the "Potential" threat. There are LOTS of things in the world that are "potentially" dangerous, and yet are not actually harmful. Driving a car, riding in an airplane, "confronting" someone else about how they are raising their own children... all of those things have the potential to be dangerous to your and your families health... and yet are also generally quite safe.

You don't have the right to tell me or anyone else what we can do based on the "possible" or "potential" threats to our health or the health of our family. Because it is just your opinion that it is harmful. SOME people find it harmful to be raised in a single parent household, some people find it harmful to be raised in a same sex couple household... and yet, most people know well enough that it's no one else's business but that families how they raise their child or what circumstances they put their child in.

Not your children, NOT your business! Period.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 PM

12,436 posts, read 12,025,172 times
In my state, it is illegal for a person to smoke in a car with children in it. I agree with the law. It is a misdemeanor with a fine up $1,000. A law that I agree with.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,653,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In my state, it is illegal for a person to smoke in a car with children in it. I agree with the law. It is a misdemeanor with a fine up $1,000. A law that I agree with.

It's a good thing the cops don't have any real crime to deal with in your state, isn't it?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,660,805 times
Quote:
Obviously, smoking is well known to cause quite a few health problems and this information is well disseminated. In essence, nobody can claim ignorance to the detrimental effect of tobacco on humans. There also seems to be rather convincing evidence that smoking (even second-hand smoke) can and will adversely affect a child's development.

As I waited at a red light today, I noticed that the car behind me had an girl (roughly eight years of age) on the passenger seat and a toddler in a child seat on the rear bench. The mother was vigorously smoking a cigarette while the windows were closed.

To me, people who smoke either have a really hard time breaking their addiction or they are stupidly choosing to ignore the problems associated with smoking. Still, since they are adult and since smoking is legal, I think that they have every right to be idiots and smoke. I do not appreciate that their habits cause higher health insurance rates, but so does eating an unhealthy diet or not exercising. Thus, for the sake of this argument, I am willing to ignore this.

What I don't get is why people would do this to their children (or to any child, really).

Some smokers on CD seem to argue that second-hand smoke has no adverse effects - but healthcare professionals seem to strongly contradict such assertions (as does common sense).

Any ideas?
This directly affects your life how? Are they your children? In the same vehicle?

Is your front porch swept off and perfectly clean? If not you should probably do that THEN decide how others should live their lives.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,022,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This directly affects your life how? Are they your children? In the same vehicle?

Is your front porch swept off and perfectly clean? If not you should probably do that THEN decide how others should live their lives.
Well, read the thread and you shall find your answer. Alright, I'll spare you the effort:

It was simply thirst for knowledge! You know, sometimes we encounter situations that we don't understand because we cannot truly step into somebody else's shoes. Thus, I decided to ask what others (including those who do smoke while their children are in the car) think about the issue.

But thank you for being so judgmental.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,660,805 times
Quote:
Well, read the thread and you shall find your answer. Alright, I'll spare you the effort:

It was simply thirst for knowledge! You know, sometimes we encounter situations that we don't understand because we cannot truly step into somebody else's shoes. Thus, I decided to ask what others (including those who do smoke while their children are in the car) think about the issue.

But thank you for being so judgmental.

You are welcome, anytime I can help.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,438,510 times
Crime or no crime, children shouldn't be exposed to cigarette smoke in a car where they can't escape it. Everyone has the right to choose what goes into their body if the substance in question poses more threat than benefits. It's shocking how many people are careless about this. Do they not at least consider it a GAMBLE; and if so, what in their mind justifies gambling with their child's health and/or life?

Children whose parents smoked are twice as likely to begin smoking between 13 and 21

Kids miss more school when parents smoke: study | Reuters

Parents' smoking gives 15,000 children a year asthma, doctors warn | Society | The Guardian

Second Hand Smoke and Children

Asthma children and smoking | Better Health Channel

Parents' Smoking Can Increase Children's Blood Pressure - ParentDish

Parent Smoking Increases Risk of Ear Infection, Surgery in Kids - Yahoo! News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies