Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,122,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Because he has a political agenda? Look at his bio, the guy is a right wing activist.
How does this change the facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,791,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post

Quote:
Homes are absurdly overpriced
due to the bubble of the 2000's, high-school level jobs are simply not enough to even think about starting a family, and unemployment among young people with high-school degrees is far too high, and the price of college education has skyrocketed
^^^This. Shows you just how much you know. As for high school, many graduating can't spell or write a proper sentence. Blame that on government for setting the standards so low that kids get pushed through without a decent education. What are they teaching in school? When I graduated high school I certainly wasn't thinking about starting a family.

Quote:
Again, if you want to see the greedy, "me me me" folks, it's those two guys in the video. They received cheap health care, government help with education, got cushy jobs, almost certainly got their opportunities because of the level of assistance that the government provided to them and their families.
And you know they got all that how?? Exactly what level of assistance did they and their families get from the government? Any possibility that they took out loans of their own to pay for college and graduated? Many parents take out loans on their behalf to put their kid(s) through college - and pay those loans off. Many parents started saving early on for their kids education. Many grandparents help their grandchildren get through college. I'm saving for my grandson's college education. He's 13 and researching what the future holds in regard to where the jobs will be so that he can plan his course of education and be prepared to enter the job force. My doing this for him comes with conditions. He will also work part-time while in high school. He will earn and value what I am prepared to do for him. He also understands that one does not start at the top, but works their way up. You believe that there was a cushy job waiting for the two people in the video when they graduated college?? News flash: government does not assist anyone to get a job. A person goes out and finds a job. The older generation isn't asking for anything, it's the younger generation that is crying me, me, me. Get it right.

Quote:
, and now they are *horrified* at the idea of giving any sort of aid to the younger generation. Their lives were entirely due to government spending, and they want to make it absolutely certain that they keep that wealth for themselves
What wealth do you think the older generation has that should be turned over to you? And why do you think that after having worked for it, it belongs to you? If the older generation is *horrified* by anything its the attitude of the younger generation thinking that the older generation and government should be providing for them. Exactly what sort of aid do you think the older generation should be giving to the younger generation? The lives of the older generation had nothing to do with government spending - they worked for what they have. Sure these are tough times but the older generation went through tough times as well, but it didn't stop them from getting off their backside and doing what they had to do. There are adults out there holding down 2 and 3 part time jobs just to keep the roof over their head and food on the table, while the younger generation is waiting for FedEx to deliver a notice that there's a position just waiting for them or that there's a spot open in Harvard just for them - at no charge.

Don't worry the government will be helping you soon enough when you apply for welfare.

Last edited by softblueyz; 01-23-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think the baby boomers really ruined a lot of stuff but I also think a lot of kids in my generation are way too entitled. Not just in terms of wanting the government to hand everything to them, but in terms of what they expect. So many people think they should be earning over 60K a year right out of college. They think they should live like their parents do when their parents have been working for 30+ years.
How is it the baby boomers are responsible for today's younger generation mentality? You skip an entire generation: the children of baby boomers. The children (now in their 40s) of baby boomers were not raised with the entitlement mentality. It's their children, the younger generation, who have been raised with the entitlement mentality. Most of the younger generation today are the grandchildren of baby boomers who have parents in their 40s who are responsible for being so irresponsible in raising their children.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
How is it the baby boomers are responsible for today's younger generation mentality? You skip an entire generation: the children of baby boomers. The children (now in their 40s) of baby boomers were not raised with the entitlement mentality. It's their children, the younger generation, who have been raised with the entitlement mentality. Most of the younger generation today are the grandchildren of baby boomers who have parents in their 40s who are responsible for being so irresponsible in raising their children.
Think it started with "I want to be my childs friend" not raise him/her like our parents raised us.
Which, brought on, everyone deserves a trophy/ribbon, even if, they were not very good at the game.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
^^^This. Shows you just how much you know. As for high school, many graduating can't spell or write a proper sentence. Blame that on government for setting the standards so low that kids get pushed through without a decent education. What are they teaching in school? When I graduated high school I certainly wasn't thinking about starting a family.
For some of them, they are graduating with a family already and sometimes more than 1 kid no less. How is that starting off in life...17-18 with 2 kids and no daddy ?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,347,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Because he has a political agenda? Look at his bio, the guy is a right wing activist.
A Libertarian according to his own blog site. And he most definitely proselytizes in the classroom, a big no-no according to right wing posters here on c-d.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For some of them, they are graduating with a family already and sometimes more than 1 kid no less. How is that starting off in life...17-18 with 2 kids and no daddy ?
I guess they were absent the day the school was handing out the condoms???

What the younger generation doesn't realize is that baby boomers had worked hard for a home, to own a car, put food on the table. Boomers were family-oriented and did not live for material things - because there was no such thing as "material" things. If affordable, the big reward once a year was renting a bungalow for a week by the lake where the entire family went.

Today's parents worry about having a flat screen TV in every room, everyone having their own laptop, the best stereo system, making sure that the kids have the latest mobile, ipod, ipad, x-box and every other new gadget that hits the market. Making sure that their kids aren't left behind in the world of fashion. The parents are busy planning their next exotic vacation because they need at least 2 vacations a year. Of course a second car is a necessity. Add it all up and on paper they look good, but in reality they don't own very much and are over their heads in debt.

The younger generation needs to put the blame where it belongs: on their parents who were busy squandering away their child's education. Let them complain to their grandparents for destroying their lives - tell their grandparents that they owe them. I don't owe the younger generation squat. It's their reckless parents they need to point the finger at.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The essays on which Chambless based his analysis of today's students were written by Florida students, hence the Florida reference. As for using "modern terms" --- uh, not really. Maybe this is a sign that it's time for you to either bone up on current public education issues or to stop posting about them?
You may well be right since my wife retired last spring and isn't there every day like she was all those 39 years before. She is much happier not having to do all the extra paper work teachers are saddled with and having to deal with the younger "me first" teachers who have been coming out of the colleges the last few years.

I guess I will just retire from this topic since I am so old and haven't been involved much through the attempts to increase student self-worth feelings.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Think it started with "I want to be my childs friend" not raise him/her like our parents raised us.
Which, brought on, everyone deserves a trophy/ribbon, even if, they were not very good at the game.
Walls full of participation trophies and ribbons speak so much to what you said. Some of those very recipients were forced to feel as they do by that kind of crap at school.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You may well be right since my wife retired last spring and isn't there every day like she was all those 39 years before. She is much happier not having to do all the extra paper work teachers are saddled with and having to deal with the younger "me first" teachers who have been coming out of the colleges the last few years.

I guess I will just retire from this topic since I am so old and haven't been involved much through the attempts to increase student self-worth feelings.

I'm old too, roy.

For some reason I just don't share your dim view of the current crop of youngsters. The good kids far outnumber the bad kids. If today's youth has had some advantages and technology that ours didn't then that's the way it's supposed to be. It's progress, not entitlement. We had things previous generations didn't and the old-timers back then griped about what a bunch of spoiled undiscilplined brats we were.

Maybe for the same reason, it doesn't suprise me that Fox News airs a silly story like this to yank your chain a little. Makes you tune in and grump some more about how America is on the decline. Might awaken that latent longing for the good old days, too. I get that a lot these days myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies