Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,241,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Not really. Homes are absurdly overpriced due to the bubble of the 2000's, high-school level jobs are simply not enough to even think about starting a family, and unemployment among young people with high-school degrees is far too high, and the price of college education has skyrocketed, due in large part to states withdrawing money from public universities. And of course, health care is at the point where a single illness can financially ruin you.

Again, if you want to see the greedy, "me me me" folks, it's those two guys in the video. They received cheap health care, government help with education, got cushy jobs, almost certainly got their opportunities because of the level of assistance that the government provided to them and their families, and now they are *horrified* at the idea of giving any sort of aid to the younger generation. Their lives were entirely due to government spending, and they want to make it absolutely certain that they keep that wealth for themselves.
First paragraph:......"cry me a river"......

Second paragraph:....."steaming shoveful of horse crap"........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM

576 posts, read 589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Valencia College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We should really take the word of a professor at a junior college in Florida as gold?

Come on.
What's your educational background and area of study? What about your undergrad and grad degrees?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,385,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
I haven't watched the video or read eveything in this thread, but I assume that we are talking about today's Seniors as the "GIMMIE" generation?
Seriously? I am a 'senior'. I worked and contributed to SS/Medicare and paid a sizable portion of my income (more than Mitt Romney pays on his) in federal income tax. How do you figure I and others like me are the "GIMMIE" (your spelling) generation??

Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,538,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The state of Florida has been converting its 2 year community colleges to 4 year 'colleges' for the past 6 or 7 years. Valencia College just a few years ago was Valencia Community College. Florida now has a two tier system of "colleges" and "universities" with the less capable and/or less wealthy students attending colleges. In S. Florida, the Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach colleges have large percentages of minority (Black & Hispanic) students, as does Valencia College (approx. 40%). Many of the students who attend the newly created 'colleges' are the first members of their families to attend college. This professor's opinions are based on essays produced by students who, for the most part, have weak critical thinking skills and probably parrot what they have heard at home, far more than what they have heard in school.

As for Florida students not being exposed to the teachings of John Locke, he is absolutely correct. Since 2001, when high stakes testing was mandated by Jeb Bush & Co., Florida's schools have become all FCAT prep all of the time - the only content taught in almost all grades 3 - 10 classrooms from September through March is FCAT preparation.
Did you just say that this teacher, he can't be a professor since he doesn't sound prog enough, is spouting lies or what? Sorry, I just don't understand a lot about colleges these days if their grads aren't hard left leaners.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM

17,468 posts, read 13,058,107 times
Quote:
Seriously? I am a 'senior'. I worked and contributed to SS/Medicare and paid a sizable portion of my income (more than Mitt Romney pays on his) in federal income tax. How do you figure I and others like me are the "GIMMIE" (your spelling) generation??
I don't believe their talking about people like you. Your one, of the ones, that knows life is what you make of it.

As far as Romney, he's paying what the law requires, if you want it different, you've got to be a part of the voting process. Call your Representative and let them know certain laws need to be redone.

Even Romney admitted to this.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you just say that this teacher, he can't be a professor since he doesn't sound prog enough, is spouting lies or what? Sorry, I just don't understand a lot about colleges these days if their grads aren't hard left leaners.
Roy, my post is not complicated. Go back and read it again, maybe the second time will the charm and you will understand what I actually said...

Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't believe their talking about people like you. Your one, of the ones, that knows life is what you make of it.

As far as Romney, he's paying what the law requires, if you want it different, you've got to be a part of the voting process. Call your Representative and let them know certain laws need to be redone.

Even Romney admitted to this.
The poster said "today's seniors" which includes all of us. Don't make excuses for his/her ignorance.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,538,590 times
Quote:
Roy, my post is not complicated. Go back and read it again, maybe the second time will the charm and you will understand what I actually said...
I tried twice but you used so many Florida and more modern terms than I know about so that left me out.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I tried twice but you used so many Florida and more modern terms than I know about so that left me out.
The essays on which Chambless based his analysis of today's students were written by Florida students, hence the Florida reference. As for using "modern terms" --- uh, not really. Maybe this is a sign that it's time for you to either bone up on current public education issues or to stop posting about them?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,774,859 times
I think the baby boomers really ruined a lot of stuff but I also think a lot of kids in my generation are way too entitled. Not just in terms of wanting the government to hand everything to them, but in terms of what they expect. So many people think they should be earning over 60K a year right out of college. They think they should live like their parents do when their parents have been working for 30+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies