Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,461,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Basically they just like saying NO. The senate already passed the extension 89-10 votes (very bi-partisan), and Bohner wants to says NO. It is beyond ridiculous, and it is leaving most of the nation disgusted at them.
Are you like that most of the nation you mention who don't know about the Senate not taking their sworn duty to pass a budget even to the point of avoiding any bill the House sends over? How do we stop all the fancy spending without a planned budget? People don't know about that foolishness but, like you, they are willing to accept the words of Dirty Harry about this one.

We all know that Dirty Harry is using this fool method to allow debate about that 2 months every 2 months till November at which time they will either go with the full year or another 2 months depending on who wins the election.

Damn do I get tired of playing games depending on an election for over a year at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Harry Reid = Obama's Chief Obstructionist: unwilling to work with anyone and placing party over country.

So true and well said but that is what Harry is saying about the Republicans.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
This is gonna cost repubs big. They are solely to blame for this. A bipartisan agreement was reached and house repubs said no. Good job Boner, shed a tear for America why don't ya.
At least it seems to me that you have admitted that this whole thing is nothing more than a party over nation game being played by party leaders. Of course, the President is on the side of the Dems and people believe him and them.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
While I agree the idea of a 2 month payroll taxcut is idiotic at best. Reid is an obstructionist and Obama is blocking shovel ready jobs in the private sector, plain and simple.
Has anybody here mentioned that Obama wants the oil pipeline but he wants it AFTER the election and he and Reid are taking advantage of the fact that most people have forgotten the pipeline and are just thinking about the $166 they will be getting from that 2 month thing? The thing that bothers me most is that they will have to be debating this thing again for 60 days minus vacation time. That is not what either side wants but the chance to get at the Repubs has just cut the Demoncraps deeper than they can go.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Surely you meant to say Senate Republicans are obstructionists?
Finn, she is like me in that we both heard Reid say his thing about thinking they have been getting along famously without a budget for over 3 years. Who is the obstructionist on the question of the budget? Why the House has done its duty more than once this term and sent him bills that he tabled, declared DOA and left them. I don't know how many Democrats may go along with a budget but until he lets them debate one nobody will ever know.

You and I, both, know that Reid doesn't think he could keep a budget from passing if he ever lets a bill go to the floor. When you look at that what in hell is an obstructionist?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,512,679 times
Default Boehner the dumbest; helps Obama's reelection

Once again, Boehner reveals himself to by the symbol of the most inept Congress in history courtesy of the Republicans. He's the dumbest Speaker of the House in history and he represents the gift that keeps on giving.

His GOP actions continue to hurt the country and greatly help President Obama's reelection chances. It also helps with the plan to get those idiotic tea party Republicans and Republicans in general OUT of Congress next year.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,734,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You are exactly right. Obama would not give up on his job destruction agenda, screwing around with the pipeline until after the election, or after Canada decided to just pipe the oil to the coast for sale to China, or whatever it took at all costs to prevent those American jobs. The Republicans tried to force the issue and get the jobs, but Obama is a man of integrity when it comes to job prevention. Nothing is going to stand in his way, not even a tax increase that he has described as "a catastrophe" (as if funding Social Security is now some kind of a grave sin.)

It is pathetic that a measure to actually create real jobs can be referred to by zealots as "a poison bill."
What job destruction agenda?

I have yet to hear one compelling argument in favor of the the Keystone Pipeline standing on its own merit without being attached to a bill that is sorely needed for economic recovery. To me, that is a form of bribery, a dirty tactic that the House GOP has resorted to.

The Senate Republicans and Democrats support payroll tax cut extension for additional two months before the rest of the details can be ironed out in the new year. The House Democrats support it as well.

The House GOP? Not sure. The question is, while everyone agrees that payroll tax cut extension is needed for every American family in the middle class, why is it not happening? It's because the House GOP has flip flopped and even now, they refuse to do direct vote on it.

I agree with you that there is some job prevention agenda going on here -- and it's the GOP in Congress. I once thought that the GOP would support any tax cuts in favor of smaller government.

The GOP almost had me fooled.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:04 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,454,918 times
I thought this measure was simply to buy time for further negotiations so Boehner and Reid could work out a deal. Last time I checked the vast majority of Senate Republicans voted for this, are they out to destroy America as well? Simply put House Republicans bet that they could hold unemployment benefits and middle class tax cuts hostage for a better deal and Reid called their bluff.

If this shows anything it is that Boehner is an ineffectual speaker who cannot even control his own caucus. I am fairly certain that if the Senate Republicans thought there was a deal and had they known that this would happen they would not have exposed themselves like this.

Either way with Congress' numbers so dismal I have a hard time believing Boehner will be speaker by 2013, either Democrats will take back the House, or the Republicans will launch a coup.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 AM

23,514 posts, read 29,465,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
boehner's moment of political grandstanding to further upset the American people.
I would think, all those in the rest of the world clamoring for democracy, that if they watched the failed U.S. democracy show long enough, they'd do the smart thing and opt for a benevolent dictator!

And the smart countries, who have not elected to fight for democracy, they

Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,452,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
What job destruction agenda?

I have yet to hear one compelling argument in favor of the the Keystone Pipeline standing on its own merit without being attached to a bill that is sorely needed for economic recovery.
Have you been listening? Were you aware that private enterprise has concluded that there is sufficient energy demand in the US to warrant the importation of oil from Canada via the pipeline? Do you know how much oil we import from countries we like far less than our important ally and trading partner, Canada? Do you prefer the far less safe transportation by rail and truck of that oil? Would you rather see a pipeline built to the Canadian west coast for export to China?

We need the energy, we have the opportunity to do more business with our friends, the economics of the pipeline are compelling enough to attract billions in private investment, jobs will be created, money will be saved by consumers.

Have you heard one compelling argument yet, or are your fingers still stuck in your ears?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies