Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which to defend-- Israel or Christmas
Israel 9 19.57%
Christmas 27 58.70%
Just hope the story goes away 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,794,863 times

Advertisements

[quote=cmforte;22111006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

More ignorance...do you know why those 800 people live there?
Too funny, make sure you know the answer before you ask the question.

"Unlike citizenship of other states, which is based either on jus sanguinis (birth from a citizen, even outside the state's territory) or on jus soli (birth within the territory of the state), citizenship of Vatican City is granted jus officii, namely on the grounds of appointment to work in a certain capacity in the service of the Holy See. It usually ceases upon cessation of the appointment. Citizenship is extended also to the spouse, parents and descendants of a citizen, provided they are living with the person who is a citizen.[52][53]
Anyone who loses Vatican citizenship and does not possess other citizenship automatically becomes an Italian citizen as judged by Italian law.[19]
As of 31 December 2005, there were, apart from the Pope himself, 557 people with Vatican citizenship, while there were 246 residents in the state who did not have its citizenship.
Of the 557 citizens, 74% were clergy:
58 cardinals, resident in Rome, mostly outside the Vatican;
293 clergy, members of the Holy See's diplomatic missions, resident in other countries, and forming well over half the total of the citizens;
62 other clergy, working but not necessarily living in the Vatican.
The 101 members of the Papal Swiss Guard constituted 18% of the total, and there were only 43 other lay persons with Vatican citizenship.[54]"

Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All Catholic. Can you imagine if Israel required all citizens to be Jews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,556,886 times
[quote=shorebaby;22111121]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post

Too funny, make sure you know the answer before you ask the question.

"Unlike citizenship of other states, which is based either on jus sanguinis (birth from a citizen, even outside the state's territory) or on jus soli (birth within the territory of the state), citizenship of Vatican City is granted jus officii, namely on the grounds of appointment to work in a certain capacity in the service of the Holy See. It usually ceases upon cessation of the appointment. Citizenship is extended also to the spouse, parents and descendants of a citizen, provided they are living with the person who is a citizen.[52][53]
Anyone who loses Vatican citizenship and does not possess other citizenship automatically becomes an Italian citizen as judged by Italian law.[19]
As of 31 December 2005, there were, apart from the Pope himself, 557 people with Vatican citizenship, while there were 246 residents in the state who did not have its citizenship.
Of the 557 citizens, 74% were clergy:
58 cardinals, resident in Rome, mostly outside the Vatican;
293 clergy, members of the Holy See's diplomatic missions, resident in other countries, and forming well over half the total of the citizens;
62 other clergy, working but not necessarily living in the Vatican.
The 101 members of the Papal Swiss Guard constituted 18% of the total, and there were only 43 other lay persons with Vatican citizenship.[54]"

Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All Catholic. Can you imagine if Israel required all citizens to be Jews?
Yes, now why do you suppose that is? All these people (the adults that is) work for the Catholic Church!!! Of course they have to be Catholic!! It is a working nation, an administrative hq for the Church.....only recognized as an independent and sovereign State to allow the Pope to be neutral on the international scene!!

Prots...I tell ya!!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,846,143 times
Default Christians are not liked in israel

Israeil attacking Christians in Israil - YouTube

Jewish people chase american guy in Israel! haha stupid american - YouTube

:shoc ked:

Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,846,143 times
Christians are not liked in israel except for when they receive Americans money

Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM

[quote=cmforte;22111171]
Quote:

Yes, now why do you suppose that is? All these people (the adults that is) work for the Catholic Church!!! Of course they have to be Catholic!! It is a working nation, an administrative hq for the Church.....only recognized as an independent and sovereign State to allow the Pope to be neutral on the international scene!!

Prots...I tell ya!!
Huh? You have to be Catholic to work for the Catholic Church, now I know you are not Catholic. All 18 years of my education have been in Catholic institutions, many of my teachers were not Catholic. There are many people who work for he Church in many capacities who are not Catholic.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM

[quote=shorebaby;22111262]
Quote:

Huh? You have to be Catholic to work for the Catholic Church, now I know you are not Catholic. All 18 years of my education have been in Catholic institutions, many of my teachers were not Catholic. There are many people who work for he Church in many capacities who are not Catholic.
At The Vatican?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM

[quote=cmforte;22111295]
Quote:

At The Vatican?
Well that's the point isn't it. As you saw not every citizen of he Vatican was a Priest. About a third are not, yet they required to be Catholic.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM

[quote=shorebaby;22111328]
Quote:

Well that's the point isn't it. As you saw not every citizen of he Vatican was a Priest. About a third are not, yet they required to be Catholic.
That is my point. Once you get up into the upper echelons of RCC government, the requirements to work for it get more stringent..for example, there are many women in leadership roles at the lower levels, but one can not run the Church as a Cardinal or Pope, and only Cardinals and the Pope are the true and final authority in the RCC...thus, to work in the highest echelon of the RCC that is The Vatican, you must be a Catholic, in one form or another..yes, my point exactly...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM

[quote=cmforte;22111376]
Quote:

That is my point. Once you get up into the upper echelons of RCC government, the requirements to work for it get more stringent..for example, there are many women in leadership roles at the lower levels, but one can not run the Church as a Cardinal or Pope, and only Cardinals and the Pope are the true and final authority in the RCC...thus, to work in the highest echelon of the RCC that is The Vatican, you must be a Catholic, in one form or another..yes, my point exactly...
Non sense. You have one standard for Israel (an anti semetic one to boot), but overlook the exact same thing in the Vatican.

By the way, there is no practicle reason the lay citizens of the Vatican need to be Catholic.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 PM

[quote=shorebaby;22111391]
Quote:

Non sense. You have one standard for Israel (an anti semetic one to boot), but overlook the exact same thing in the Vatican.

By the way, there is no practicle reason the lay citizens of the Vatican need to be Catholic.
You're still ignorant as to the reasons and function behind The Vatican. My post is not non-sense. It is true.

And how am I anti-semitic? What did I say bigoted about the Jewish religion? All I did was criticize certain policies of the Israeli government. How is that anti-Jew?

You can't keep your story straight. First you say Israel is a secular democracy. Then when I criticize certain policies of it's secular, democratic government, suddenly I am anti-Jewish religion (anti-Semitic.) Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies