Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,338,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Because linux is a cute nerd toy but ultimately it sucks if you want to get something done, or at least done well. The desktop sucks, and commercial app availability is severely limited.

Gimp does NOT compare to Photoshop. Ok, maybe Photoshop 2.0, from the 90's, but not today.

Open Office is the most bloated piece of crap I have ever used. Word just works better. Aside from that, how many times are you going to call someone and ask that they resend in ODT format because you can't convert from the latest version of Word yet?

Firefox, is the only usable app that runs on Linux! (unless of course you're just looking for a nerd toy and want to save a hundred bucks on Windows 7.
That's nice.

It's free and community supported, just like the 99%ers claim to be. That is the point I'm making. If the 99%ers locate another community based open source OS to tweet and "facebook", then have at it.

That being said, most of the software I use requires gcc to build so unless I use Cygwin or Macports/Brew, I'm stuck with my Ubuntu build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,037,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
The government has been flipped twice in the past four years.
And? Lets try to be a little more specific, one line answers say nothing.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM

1,147 posts, read 911,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's nice.

It's free and community supported, just like the 99%ers claim to be. That is the point I'm making. If the 99%ers locate another community based open source OS to tweet and "facebook", then have at it.

That being said, most of the software I use requires gcc to build so unless I use Cygwin or Macports/Brew, I'm stuck with my Ubuntu build.
I don't see the connection. If anything it tells me that they don't blindly hate corporate America, which gives them more credibility.

There's nothing wrong with business all by itself. What's wrong is the stacked deck they've managed to rig up through using crooked politicians to fine tune US legislation to suit their needs.

Apple wasn't one of them, and based on the foot up the arse that the DOJ was trying to give them for years, neither was MS. In fact, my guess is MS got such a foot up the arse from the DOJ because they wouldn't pay the proper vig to the governmentsters.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,557,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
And? Lets try to be a little more specific, one line answers say nothing.

If you don't believe in changing government with elections, what's your plan B?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
If you don't believe in changing government with elections, what's your plan B?

LOL. Changing government with elections, those days are long gone my friend. Our government is so corrupt it does not matter who is elected we will just have more of the same. Unfortunately our system needs to collapse so we can rebuild it. The times are a changing and the near future is not going to be pretty, are you prepared for it?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,208,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
In fact, my guess is MS got such a foot up the arse from the DOJ because they wouldn't pay the proper vig to the governmentsters.
Actually Microsoft is the largest lobbyist for expanding the H1-B visa program. They got plenty of cash tied up in Washington.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,876,521 times
Quote:
I use Ubuntu all the time. I'm certainly not poor, from an asset standpoint at least.
Haven't booted into windows for about 6 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What do you think of 11.10?
It SUCKS. Gnome 3 is a total disaster.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,513,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What do you think of 11.10?
Getting used to it--Running it in a VM on my Win7 machine, mostly as a 'nerd toy' as some noob pointed out.

Quote:
The majority of pictures featuring 99%ers have them using iPhones and not a Linux laptop.

If you support the 99%ers and are actually out there yelling for the end of corporate profits (not Democrat run Wall St. orgs. like MF Global I mean), then using an iPhone rather than a freeware OS is hypocritical in the extreme.
Well, maybe it's because they aren't rallying against corporate profits? Maybe it's because they're rallying against unfair earnings of the top 1% of persons in this country--among other things.

I don't know a single person who is against others making money, getting rich, and being wealthy. I know a few people who are against people who do these things at the direct expense of others. The sky-rocketing incomes of the top 1% versus the plateau of the actual workers. A proletariat revolution is upon us.

Quote:
I'm not involved in OWS, and you don't know what I do in meatspace either.
lulz. Never heard of "meatspace" before. Where did you pick up that?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:56 AM

298 posts, read 390,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
LOL. Changing government with elections, those days are long gone my friend. Our government is so corrupt it does not matter who is elected we will just have more of the same. Unfortunately our system needs to collapse so we can rebuild it. The times are a changing and the near future is not going to be pretty, are you prepared for it?
You're an anarchist.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
You're an anarchist.
Far from it. That word is being used way to loosely by the MSM. OWS people are not anarchist's either unless you believe what the MSM are saying. Turn the TV off, they have an agenda and unless you are the very rich and powerful you are not part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies