Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

Your favorite 'organic' alternative is probably owned by a major corporation.

"some of your favorite “All Natural” and organic companies may be owned by a corporate giant.

Companies like Honest Tea and Odwalla are actually owned by Coca-Cola.

Another popular ‘health’ brand is Kashi, owned by the Kellogg corporation. It should come as no surprise that Kashi cereals have been found to contain a copious amount of GMOs and pesticides, according to an explosive report from the Cornucopia Institute.

Kashi’s ’Heart to Heart Blueberry cereal’ was found to contain grains coated in the residue of many pesticides such as phosmet, carbaryl, azinphos methyl, malathion, chlorpyrifos methyl, chlorpyrifos.

What’s more, the company’s products were found to oftentimes contain 100% genetically modified ingredients.

Organic Food Industry Bought Up by Corporations Like Coca-Cola - BlackListedNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
While everyone things Dr. Mercola is a quack and radical (and he can be at times) I've been reading his site for exactly this kind of info. I found out long ago that the Barbara's Puffins I eat are made from GMO corn as well as the ingredients in my Kashi not being that great. Found out that Nature's Path is one of the few "good" ones available.

Most people don't read or care or even want to know. They are fooled by advertising.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
I don't buy any products on the list. I stopped buying Cascade frozen vegetables long go when I saw some were Chinese imports. In addition to Nature's Path Cereals, Amy's is another reputable brand. I question whether all the foods listed on the graph contain GMO's. The graph represents organic companies that have been purchased by large corporations. It doesn't make clear whether the products all contain GMO's.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I don't buy any products on the list. I stopped buying Cascade frozen vegetables long go when I saw some were Chinese imports. In addition to Nature's Path Cereals, Amy's is another reputable brand. I question whether all the foods listed on the graph contain GMO's. The graph represents organic companies that have been purchased by large corporations. It doesn't make clear whether the products all contain GMO's.
you have to read the referred-to report for the details.

http://cornucopia.org/cereal-scoreca...eal_Report.pdf

http://cornucopia.org/cereal-scorecard/

it actually kind of blows a big hole in the OP's premise, as everything certified organic scores well...

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
I bought organic sweet onions from a farmer's market. They lasted 2 days before they were already rotting. I'm never buying organic anything ever again. I'll trade the extra step of washing/peeling my veggies for the extended "shelf" life.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I bought organic sweet onions from a farmer's market. They lasted 2 days before they were already rotting. I'm never buying organic anything ever again. I'll trade the extra step of washing/peeling my veggies for the extended "shelf" life.
Theres this amazing invention called a refrigerator....

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Theres this amazing invention called a refrigerator....
Who puts onions in the fridge? I'm used to onions lasting at least a week before anything looks like it needs to be cut off, and weeks before they need to be chucked. Organics didn't even last a weekend.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
If the lottery is "a tax on those that are bad at math"...is the Organic label "a tax on those that are bad at science"?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Who puts onions in the fridge? I'm used to onions lasting at least a week before anything looks like it needs to be cut off, and weeks before they need to be chucked. Organics didn't even last a weekend.
Where do you think producers store onions until they're ready to ship?
Ever hear of a root cellar?
Do you really think they just come out of the field and into the store with no refrigeration?
Theres a reason your non-organic onions last that long.
Oh well, I grow my own, I'll start pulling them next week.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
...i spent 40 years in the supermarket busines...the 'organic' label is the bigest hand job ever foisted on the american consumer, next to bottled water...unless you grow it in your own backyard you have absolutely no way of knowing if it is truely organic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies