Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,963,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Why I don't "Occupy" a.ka. "Why I work"

Why I work

I work because I like the feeling of accomplishment and self-reliance

I work because I have bills to pay and don't depend on others (especially the government) or the 1% to pay them for me

I work because I have family I like to help when they need it

I work because I like having money I can give to my church and to charity

I don't use credit cards because I like to live within my means

I don't get loans, because I am smart enough to realize I may not be able to pay them back

When I do one day go back to college, I'll be sure to get a degree in a useful skill that the marketplace needs at the time

And finally, when I was unemployed, I looked for work for all of the above reasons, I didn't camp out at a park (illegally, btw) for only God knows how long

I realize our society has problems, but I try to solve them through the means and institutions our free and democratic socety has, I don't illegally camp out at a park. And how dare any one who has the comfort of parents wealthy enough to support them and give them a roof over their heads voluntarilly give it up and go illegally camp on public land (or private, as in the context of the OWS)anyways, when so many Americans are homeless and starving don't have the luxury of that choice.

Look, I just made a grown up and well though out post on city-data!!!...NOT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,555,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I think both sides are funny. The Tea Party is a bunch of old geezers who blame the government for our economic problems, and the OWS is a bunch of hippies who blame corporate America for all of our economic problems. And both groups self-righteously trash each other without realizing BOTH the government and a deregulated greedy Wall Street were responsible for the financial crisis. Maybe if they got together and protested both the government and corporations, they'd be able to make a real statement? No, that would be to sensible.
I kind of agree with some of this. But the Tea Party obeyed the rules and got permits, and it didn't "Occupy" anything, it made its point, then left. If they want to protest the next day, they do. If they need to renew thier permit, they do. It also utilized the system we have in place to represent them, they didn't advocate anarchy and violent revolution.

The OWS people are breaking numerous civic codes/ordinaces and laws and never leave, they illegally camp out.

Last edited by cmforte; 10-30-2011 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,048,208 times
Quote:
I kind of agree with some of this. But the Tea Party obeyed the rules and got permits, and it didn't "Occupy" anything, it made its point, then left. If they want to protest the next day, they do. If they need to renew thier permit, they do. It also utilized the system we have in place to represent them, they didn't advocate anarchy and violent revolution.

The OWS people are breaking numerous civic codes/ordinaces and laws and never leave, they illegally camp out.
Zucotti PArk, where the OWS people are camped out, is owned by Brookfield Properties. It is PRIVATELY owned, and the owners have NOT demanded the OWS people leave. They are allowing it. Nor can the city bar them, since it is a plaza that is always open to the public. But since YOU don't like it, you deem it illegal. What happened to the rights of Brookfield Properties and the public - Yours trump Theirs?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,553,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Zucotti PArk, where the OWS people are camped out, is owned by Brookfield Properties. It is PRIVATELY owned, and the owners have NOT demanded the OWS people leave. They are allowing it. Nor can the city bar them, since it is a plaza that is always open to the public. But since YOU don't like it, you deem it illegal. What happened to the rights of Brookfield Properties and the public - Yours trump Theirs?
Do you know Brookfiend Properties relationship to the Obama Administration?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Do you know that most of the other OWS protests are on public land, like here in LA?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,380,309 times
Quote:

What do you think those Tea Partiers were doing in the 60's when they were in their 20's? You do know that the Neo-Conservative movement developed out of liberalism right? They just got old, lol. Sometimes "occupying" gets the message across too. Two different methods, same objective.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
What do you think those Tea Partiers were doing in the 60's when they were in their 20's? You do know that the Neo-Conservative movement developed out of liberalism right? They just got old, lol. Sometimes "occupying" gets the message across too. Two different methods, same objective.
The ends never justify the means.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 910,433 times
The funny thing is, we all have something in common with the OWS protestors.

All of us are just sitting around, for lack of a better plan. At least their plan is sitting around for a reason. We're just the commentators.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,553,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
The funny thing is, we all have something in common with the OWS protestors.

All of us are just sitting around, for lack of a better plan. At least their plan is sitting around for a reason. We're just the commentators.
I don't have anything in common with them at all.

They have no plan except to be let off the hook for all their debt.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,380,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
How was it deregulation when government threatened banks who did not make home loans to people they knew could not pay them back?
Undoing the damage | Harvard Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies