Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,635,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are looking at japan for economic policy?
Is that what i said? No.

He asked for an example of a recession that lasted a decade. Their recession and their response bears many similarities to ours.

Quote:
and you are suggesting that the new deal was successful?
yes.

Quote:
japans lost decade was due to their creating their own new deal.
no, it wasn't. japan's recession was caused by propping up their banks and refusing to destroy the bad debt created during their real estate bubble.

Quote:
as for our new deal being successful, unless you consider a low unemployment figure of 13% good considering all the government spending that was done, raising taxes on businesses and ever increasing regulations on business that essentially stifled business growth during that time, then yes, the new deal was indeed successful.
So we've had stifled growth since the 1930s? Who knew. I could've sworn we had done pretty well at least one or two years since then.

In any event, the new deal was a response to high unemployment, it didn't cause high unemployment.

Quote:
however i was actually looking for less government spending, the fiscal responsibility that obama campaigned on, and because of his railing against the spending of the bush administration. i was also looking for that "most transparent administration in history" as well, again what he campaigned on. and yet we got NONE of that. truth be told i knew before he was elected that obama would try to do everything he has done, which is why i voted for mccain, though i doubt he would have been much better.
what's your point? You voted for McCain? Disappointed in Obama? Good for you. Join the rest of the crowd who has no constructive solutions to anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 AM

38,759 posts, read 22,555,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think unemployment was calculated the same way in 1980 as it is today. I'm not saying employment is worse today because I don't know. I know that UE is not the only way to measure what is happening with the american labor force:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/09...low-up-charts/

Same for inflation. Inflation is not calculated the same way.
I agree, it's difficult to try and compare today's unemployment and inflation with that of the past, because we live in different times. If they had the internet and TV back in the 1930s and '40s who knows how that would have affected the ability to find a job or increased US commerce.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I agree, it's difficult to try and compare today's unemployment and inflation with that of the past, because we live in different times.
No, I'm saying that since then, we have literally changed the way the numbers are calculated.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickman View Post
Well hey, at least you're evaluating his job performance rationally.

The man was handed the worst finacnial crisis and recession in 80 years, 2 wars, highest poverty rate in 40 years, and a deficit with zero domestic infrastructure to show for it.

He avoided a depression, killed bin laden, improved the health care system, killed Gaddhaffi, ended Iraq, killed Al Qaeda's new #1, killed al qaeda's #2, averted 2 terrorist attacks, handled a divided Congress using compromise and leadership, and he will be re-elected because the GOP can't seem to run anyone who knows how to avoid saying crazy sh**.
exactly

Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM

1,332 posts, read 998,392 times
Default No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
Go figure...
Right wingers act as if Obama has more than doubled a deficit that was staggering to begin with. We act as if he has made life in this country worse. We act as if he has created an environment that is stagnating job creation. We act as if he should do something about it other than come up with another stimulus bill.

We act this way because all of these things are TRUE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies