Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM

20,494 posts, read 12,417,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
This is not "other recessions." This is a credit driven phenomenon which we haven't seen before.

Fair enough. I try and judge politicians by their actions rather than their words.
it is nice to judge on actions. I would argue that if a man tells me he will do something and it will bring certain results, then he does that something, I can then judge both the action and his wisdom by the result.

In Obama's case, he did do what he said he wanted to do. He said it would keep unemployment below 8%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM

13 posts, read 11,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No I act like he was elected President, a position of immense responsibility that entails dealing with endless problems, a crisis or two, and lots and lots of what could only be called crap.

Little did I know that he would respond by whining and blaming everybody else with legions of leftist malcontents thowing hissy fits whenever someone deigned to criticize the water walker.
Well hey, at least you're evaluating his job performance rationally.

The man was handed the worst finacnial crisis and recession in 80 years, 2 wars, highest poverty rate in 40 years, and a deficit with zero domestic infrastructure to show for it.

He avoided a depression, killed bin laden, improved the health care system, killed Gaddhaffi, ended Iraq, killed Al Qaeda's new #1, killed al qaeda's #2, averted 2 terrorist attacks, handled a divided Congress using compromise and leadership, and he will be re-elected because the GOP can't seem to run anyone who knows how to avoid saying crazy sh**.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,554,534 times
The New Deal kept the country in a coma until WWII.

Unemployment languished in the mid teens until then.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 PM

13 posts, read 11,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
it is nice to judge on actions. I would argue that if a man tells me he will do something and it will bring certain results, then he does that something, I can then judge both the action and his wisdom by the result.

In Obama's case, he did do what he said he wanted to do. He said it would keep unemployment below 8%.
It's not quite wearing a flight suit with a "mission accomplished" banner in the background, though, is it?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickman View Post
Well hey, at least you're evaluating his job performance rationally.

The man was handed the worst finacnial crisis and recession in 80 years, 2 wars, highest poverty rate in 40 years, and a deficit with zero domestic infrastructure to show for it.

He avoided a depression, killed bin laden, improved the health care system, killed Gaddhaffi, ended Iraq, killed Al Qaeda's new #1, killed al qaeda's #2, averted 2 terrorist attacks, handled a divided Congress using compromise and leadership, and he will be re-elected because the GOP can't seem to run anyone who knows how to avoid saying crazy sh**.

No the economy was as bad or worse in 1980.

and he worsed the healthcare situation.

as for poverty, the rate has climed since he came into office.

Bammer has done NOTHING GOOD FOR THE POOR.

He has however, saddled my children with government debt they will never be able to pay off

Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickman View Post
It's not quite wearing a flight suit with a "mission accomplished" banner in the background, though, is it?
You are right. these two things are nowhere near the same.

one was simply political theater, the other cost us a trillion dollars and left the economy worse off then before.

would to god we could go back to mission accomplished days. they were far more rational.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,430,952 times
Quote:
Japan

The new deal was a successful policy.

This depression has a different cause than the garden variety cold war recessions. You're talking about apples and oranges. Our current situation is far more severe than what Reagan faced.

Unemployment was at 13.9% in 1940 and only decreased after the military draft was reinstated in 1941. By what objective standard was the New Deal successful?

What's more server about this recession?

Unemployment never reached 10.8%.

Inflation was near zero when Obama took over and is now 4%.

Gasoline was under $2.00/gal. in 2008.

The inflation adjusted price of gasoline was over $4.00/gal in 1980.

Prime Rate History

The United States Inflation Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/irbymonth.asp - broken link)

United States GDP Growth Rate

The only difference between this economy and the one Reagan inherited is action being taken, or not taken, to correct it.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,294,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
Go figure...
A surplus of what, drugs like when he was in school? Could very well be.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,903,554 times
Quote:
Japan

The new deal was a successful policy.

This depression has a different cause than the garden variety cold war recessions. You're talking about apples and oranges. Our current situation is far more severe than what Reagan faced.
you are looking at japan for economic policy? and you are suggesting that the new deal was successful? japans lost decade was due to their creating their own new deal. as for our new deal being successful, unless you consider a low unemployment figure of 13% good considering all the government spending that was done, raising taxes on businesses and ever increasing regulations on business that essentially stifled business growth during that time, then yes, the new deal was indeed successful. and if that is the yardstick that you are using for the obama administration, then yes they are also quite successful.

however i was actually looking for less government spending, the fiscal responsibility that obama campaigned on, and because of his railing against the spending of the bush administration. i was also looking for that "most transparent administration in history" as well, again what he campaigned on. and yet we got NONE of that. truth be told i knew before he was elected that obama would try to do everything he has done, which is why i voted for mccain, though i doubt he would have been much better.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Unemployment was at 13.9% in 1940 and only decreased after the military draft was reinstated in 1941. By what objective standard was the New Deal successful?
it created jobs during that time of high unemployment to temporarily replace those jobs lost by structural changes in the economy.

Quote:
What's more server about this recession?
our private sector is saturated with debt in an (almost) unprecedented fashion.

Graph of the week: Private debt to GDP ratios for USA and Australia 1920 – 2010 « Real-World Economics Review Blog

within the private sector, our households are saturated with debt.

Additionally, our government has more public debt relative to GDP than we did in 1980.
File:PublicDebtTriade.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Unemployment never reached 10.8%.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think unemployment was calculated the same way in 1980 as it is today. I'm not saying employment is worse today because I don't know. I know that UE is not the only way to measure what is happening with the american labor force:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/09...low-up-charts/

Quote:
Inflation was near zero when Obama took over and is now 4%.
Same for inflation. Inflation is not calculated the same way.

Looking outside of CPI, median wages are declining today. You might freak out about inflation based on some long term theoretical scenario of the consequences of increasing the monetary base, but the facts right now are that we are fighting deflation. The fact that we've increased CPI from 0 to 4% is a minor victory. Our economy fails if we don't have core inflation (commodity inflation is another story). It is stupid but it is the financial system we've legislated for ourselves.

Quote:
Gasoline was under $2.00/gal. in 2008.

The inflation adjusted price of gasoline was over $4.00/gal in 1980.
Gas is about $3.50/gal now. Not a huge difference. Arguably, high gas prices are an indicator of more economic activity anyways so that's a mixed signal.

I would add that in 1980, we had not just ended a 30-year cycle of declining interest rates, like we have today. Interest rates were high, and had a long ways to go down, which is a big part of what enabled/encouraged us to create all this new debt in the first place, and drove much of our so called "growth", which was really just debt. Since the 1980 recession, most Americans have been growing our spending power with more debt. Our country's total salaries and wages have been decreasing recently, which never happened in 1980.

Federal Reserve Economic Data - FRED - St. Louis Fed

This has all been fun, but I just got Battlefield 3 in the mail and am about to go kick some ass. Good day.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 10-26-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies