Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times

Advertisements

First, this is stupid. The flag represents one thing, history. Because the CSA doesn't exist. How you feel about the flag is directly related to how you feel about its history.

The question that we seem to be trying to answer, is whether or not someone should be allowed to fly a symbol of history, if that symbol can and will offend other people. Basically, this is an issue of the first amendment, freedom of speech.

The Supreme Court already said that your freedom of speech isn't absolutely free. A person can't do things like call for the murder of another person. They aren't allowed to intentionally harass others, or to incite violence(usually referred to as "fighting words).

So the question is whether or not a person who is showing a flag is attempting to harass or incite others. If they aren't, then whether or not something offends someone else, doesn't really matter.

To me, the confederate flag has come to mean states' rights. Especially in regards to an opposition to the federal government. Whether or not it is associated with other activities or not is irrelevant. I would fly it high, in the hopes that people will come and talk to me if they have a problem, so I can explain why I fly the flag. I can talk to them about Hamiltonian federalism, and the illegal 14th amendment, and about how they are voluntarily sacrificing their freedom for security to an illegitimate government.

To me, when the Confederacy lost, we all lost. Regardless of color, religion, sex, etc. Most people are just too caught up with Democrat V. Republican politics to really understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,920 times
US Marines in Beirut. Look at all the marines.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/marines1958beriut.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Yeah she has every American right to flag a flag of traitors to our nation. The Conferate Flags are as UnAmerican as you can get. They fall into the realm of waving the Mexican flag and Islam flag. But its just a little worse because it is a constant reminder of how traitors tried to destroy our country.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Yeah she has every American right to flag a flag of traitors to our nation. The Conferate Flags are as UnAmerican as you can get. They fall into the realm of waving the Mexican flag and Islam flag. But its just a little worse because it is a constant reminder of how traitors tried to destroy our country.

First, had the Americans lost the Revolutionary war to the British, anyone flying a US flag would be considered a traitor.

The Confederates originally talked about calling the Confederacy the "Republic of Washington", because they believed George Washington's ideas for basically starting the Revolutionary war were the philosophical basis for creating the Confederacy.

The Confederates believed that their principles of states' rights were a continuation of the vision of the founders of this nation. They believed themselves to be the true patriots(and still do). The Europeans also supported the Confederacy and the concept of states' rights. Lord Acton, who coined the phrase "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", said "I saw in States' rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will..." And Thomas Jefferson wrote "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?.

The Confederacy is as American as apple pie. The encroaching despotic federal government is what is actually un-American. And when the Confederates lost, we all lost.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Default Confederate Flag..Why or Why Not?

It's a piece of cloth that’s all it means nothing unless a person wants it to.

If the Confederate Flag means something bad then what does the stars and bars mean? Was it flying as we murdered the Native Americans? Yes but do people think that way? Most don't. It's a piece of cloth and it's only a symbol of what you make it.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Ahh good [MOD CUT] Redshadowz. Nothing changes that facts that the confederacy was traitorous. UnAmerican. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Ahh good [MOD CUT]. Nothing changes that facts that the confederacy was traitorous. UnAmerican. [MOD CUT].

Yes, the Confederacy was traitorous by absolute definition. So what? The founding fathers were also traitors. So is being a traitor a bad thing or a good thing?

Do you not find it hypocritical to deride South Carolina for being traitors, while praising the traitorous acts of George Washington?

What if the definition of being a "real American", is to become a traitor to your government if you believe it to have become despotic. Then, would the confederates really be "un-American"?

Wasn't it the Neo-cons that recently tried to call people "un-American" if they didn't support their pre-emptive wars? Isn't there always someone trying to brand someone as unpatriotic if they don't "support our president".

I believe that a true American patriot is a person who stands up against the government when it grows beyond its dictate. I believe a real American is a person who speaks out for liberty even when it is unpopular. I believe a real American would support states' rights, because that is what America was created to be by our founders. And I believe a real American would have the courage to be "traitorous" to what he believed was an illegitimate government.

I guess you don't.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-28-2011 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
What a GREAT WAY to get someone else to construct a privacy fence around your property.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
What a GREAT WAY to get someone else to construct a privacy fence around your property.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM

36 posts, read 21,027 times
If you truly are black..... no comment.

Well I hope nobody has a problem with my Nazi flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Yes we are black. But we also are intelligent enough to know that the confederate flag did not stand for slavery, or racism. The civil war was not about racism or slavery. it was about money and states rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies