Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,857,936 times

Advertisements

Lol, Obama was at a small restaurant in DC today that I walked by every week during the Spring time. It's probably not hard for me to see him in person if I really wanted to considering I can be at his house in 45 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,100,982 times
Personally to me, meeting a president is no big deal, it is no different then meeting any other celebrity or a Sr. Exec for a large corporation. To me there is no reason to put them on some type of pedestal. They are not a supreme being of any sorts, so I don't see the point in becoming star struck. But I am that way with any celebrity.

If it is a president that I feel is not good for our country, I will do all I can to avoid being near him. As a matter of fact, back in '93 while I was in the Naval choir, I, shall we say, got in trouble for refusing to sing for Clinton when he was coming to the Pensacola Naval Air Station.

But on the other hand, if meeting the person was going to somehow make me money, then hey I can put my disdain for them behind me.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,534,549 times
I can't think of one President who I do not consider to be a disgusting human being for one reason or another. I put most of them on about the same level as a serial killer or genocidal maniac. Not only would I not consider it an honor to meet them, I'd consider it an extremely negative experience and think one of the few reasons people should ever want to meet a President is to give them the same treatment that a serial killer deserves.

So yeah, I guess you could say I think it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet a President. However, I think that opportunity should have quite a different outcome than most people who unfortunately don't treat Presidents as the human garbage that they truly are.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,386,157 times
I would anyone except for this current one and Jimmy Carter, the two worst in modern history.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,848,359 times
Just seeing them? Nah. Having a beer with them and talking about the country? Sure. It would be nice to get past the sound bites, but for some reason I don't think that would happen.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,371,261 times
I would have shaken Reagan's hand if I'd had a chance. Maybe even Clinton if I had my latex gloves with me...

Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,374,112 times
would you consider it a once in a lifetime chance to see a president in person?

Probably not.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,848,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i personally would not, as i've repeatedly stated i like no politicians.

i know its the president, the most recognizable person in the world, but i still do not think i would go and see him if he was nearby.

this doesnt even have to relate to obama. any president i dont think i would go out and see.

i just bring this up because obama will be about 40 minutes from me on monday. if i wanted i could go down there and see him live in person. many people would consider being in the same general area as the president a once in a lifetime type thing, which is why i bring this up.

in 08 mccain was literally 5 minutes from me and i could care less, didnt even think twice about him coming.
It was a twice in a lifetime opportunity for me, I saw Ford, and Reagan. I enjoyed it.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,774,685 times
Can't say the experience would interest me.

But I'm not into celebrities and the like.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,348,736 times
It's not a big deal to meet the president. I was young, but I met President Bush Sr, at BBQs on occasions. He was in my dad's (distant) business-social circle.

I have also met President Obama (just shook hands, nothing more) and Hillary Clinton. My friend works for the press and follows Hillary around and she often needs a date to events. She's met everyone though and flies on airforce one (now that's cool).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies