Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times

Advertisements

He did it again this time blasting parents.

Quote:
After the tragic murder of three 14-year-old children, Nutter blasted the criminals, telling Fox 29, "The first way to stop this kind of stuff is for young people to be home when they're supposed to be home and for adults not to act like idiots and a--holes out in the streets of our city, shooting at kids in a car.

"If you want to act like an idiot, if you want to be an a--hole, if you want to be a lowlife in this town, we will track you down like the dog that you are," Nutter added, according to CBS Local News.

Seven kids between the ages of 14 and 16 were in a car on their way to fight with other teenagers. When they arrived, 30-year-old Axel Barreto, the stepfather of one of the targeted teens, shot up their car. Barreto has been arrested. The altercation resulted from an argument that originated on Facebook.

The parents of these young men and other criminals across the city got a tongue-lashing as well. "Parents have to know where their children are and what they are doing," Nutter said, according to CBS Local News. "Their little butts should have either been in bed, getting ready for bed or doing some homework."

Nutter is a hot-button topic among many African Americans in Philadelphia. Many feel the mayor airs the community's dirty laundry, while others applaud his Bill Cosby-esque approach to dealing with his own people.

Philly Mayor Blasts Parents, Teenagers Over Shooting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,110,611 times
I like Nutter. It was a tough thing to say and I feel bad for the parents of the child victims, but he said what needed to be said. Hopefully people finally wake up and decide to be parents and the kids realize that they better wise the @#$% up.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,528 times
The man said what needed to be said, just like Bill Cosby said what needed to be said. It's too bad the target audience either won't listen, or can't comprehend the message.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The man said what needed to be said, just like Bill Cosby said what needed to be said. It's too bad the target audience either won't listen, or can't comprehend the message.
You're right. It will fall on deaf ears.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,227,761 times
Nutter is a good mayor dealing with problems in a troubled city. Nutter who is a very well educated african american( St Josephs U grad + Penn degree) had a greater percentage of whites vote him into office than blacks- many in the poorer black neighborhoods see him as an Uncle Tom.

Nutters response to last summers Flash Mob Attack. One of the kids arrested was 11 years old with 13 brothers + sisters born to a single mother and numerous fathers.

But, in a fiery and firm speech that elicited applause, praise and chuckles, he condemned young people involved in flash mobs, saying they will be punished. He scolded neglectful parents, particularly some African-American fathers, challenging them to be more involved.

"Parents, get your act together," he said to applause from members in the wooden, red-cushion pews.

He continued: "You need to get hold of your kids before we have to."

He said neglectful parents would face criminal charges.

Nutter, a father of two, including a teenage daughter, said men need to participate in their children's lives, mentor, discipline and teach them - not just be a "human ATM" or a "sperm donor." "That's not good enough. You can do better than that."

"A particular problem in the black community is we have too many men making too many babies that they don't want to take care of," he preached to applause. "We end up dealing with your children."

He continued: "The immaculate conception of our Lord Jesus Christ took place a long time ago, and it didn't happen here in Philadelphia. So everyone of these kids has two parents who were around and participating at the time. You need to be around now.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,703,982 times
I like him!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It needed to be said. That in mind, perhaps there are some members of the target audience who would listen. However, you do have a point there. Many of the target members of the audience, for whom this speech was intended for, would not listen and understand what Mayor Nutter is saying. The ones who won't listen often don't care. It is these individuals who are in the flash mobs. Those particular individuals will not care because they have never cared before. Some tough love is needed for these individuals.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,944,623 times
I have avoided Philadelphia for years because of street violence there... Perhaps if this man stays mayor long enough I may want to go there again one day. Good job mayor Nutter...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,961,536 times
Make no mistake about it, Mayor Nutter is a tough cookie and he says what he means and means what he says. He is not afraid to criticize members of his own community and he is not afraid to go against the entrenched City Council members. He ordered the Police Dept. crack down on the flash mobs of last spring and early summer and put in place a strict curfew on juveniles. There hasn't been any flash mobs since. He means business.

I live in Philly and I did not vote for him four years ago, but I supported him and voted for him this past November for re-election.

Mayor Nutter is a really goofy looking guy - I've met him twice and also had my picture taken with him - and he has a very nerdy voice. He looks like a black Alfred E. Newman with enormous ears and silly smile. But - God bless him! - he's a strong mayor and that's what the The City Of Brotherly Love needs.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Make no mistake about it, Mayor Nutter is a tough cookie and he says what he means and means what he says. He is not afraid to criticize members of his own community and he is not afraid to go against the entrenched City Council members. He ordered the Police Dept. crack down on the flash mobs of last spring and early summer and put in place a strict curfew on juveniles. There hasn't been any flash mobs since. He means business.

I live in Philly and I did not vote for him four years ago, but I supported him and voted for him this past November for re-election.

Mayor Nutter is a really goofy looking guy - I've met him twice and also had my picture taken with him - and he has a very nerdy voice. He looks like a black Alfred E. Newman with enormous ears and silly smile. But - God bless him! - he's a strong mayor and that's what the The City Of Brotherly Love needs.
Man cannot run a city on his looks, but by his action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies