Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Tax reform (close loopholes, flat tax, etc) 22 84.62%
Increase revenues (higher taxes, tarriffs, etc) 13 50.00%
Decrease non-Medicare/Medicaid spending 12 46.15%
Decrease Medicare/Medicaid spending 11 42.31%
Decrease military spending 19 73.08%
Decrease other spending (elaborate) 14 53.85%
Trade reform 17 65.38%
Balanced Budget Amendment 14 53.85%
Other 7 26.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,734,030 times

Advertisements

Decrease military spending

Do we really need to still have operating bases in Germany and Japan? We have suspended aid to Pakistan, which is a start. We also should end aid to Egypt too.

Decrease other spending (elaborate)

End all aid to Africa - Dambisa Moyo: Cut Off Aid to Africa and Weaning Africa Off Aid - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Anyone else want to contribute? We need more constructive ideas!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 15,002,035 times
a lot of good ideas there, but here is another thing i would stop in its tracks:

By URIEL J. GARCIA Cronkite News Service

WASHINGTON – A House committee Thursday considered a streamlined guest-worker program that supporters say would ensure a sufficient supply of — documented — farmworkers in the U.S. The American Specialty Agriculture Act would eliminate much of the current H-2A visa program for foreign agricultural workers and replace it with a streamlined program, H-2C, meant to make it easier for farmers to hire temporary workers. “The bill (is about) immigration reform, but it’s really a jobs bill,” said Dan Fazio, director for the Washington Farm Labor Association, who testified in support of the bill at Thursday’s House Judiciary subcommittee hearing.

we don't need more workers in this country.

too many entry level workers are driving wages down and increasing social service costs.

seriously, right now do we need more mouths to feed in this country?

they do this under the guise of guaranteeing that we will have "legal" workers, but who will monitor them when the "crop season" is over? we can't even secure our own borders now, we can't control guns moving in and out of the country, or drugs, and we sure as heck don't stop welfare fraud now (as evidenced by the RAPID rising cost of welfare services, social services, and flat-out corruption).

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-18-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,159,191 times
The first thing I would do is cut off the money gushing pipeline to Haliburton,KBR and other money wasting no bid contractors sucking from the govt's teat that Bush/Cheney made sure were provided for.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 AM

24,552 posts, read 23,300,098 times
I would repeal NAFTA, CAFTA, revoke China most favored nation trade status. I'd cut corporate tax loopholes and increase taxes on companies moving offshore but give tax breaks to those who move here. I'd aim tax cuts solely at the middle class. I'd also restructure what is defined as earned income. Some modest tax increases on the uber rich would result but they'd get it back anyway with a healthier economy. Cut government spending across the board by eliminating waste. I'd also give states more clout in how they govern their own affairs.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 15,002,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I would repeal NAFTA, CAFTA, revoke China most favored nation trade status. I'd cut corporate tax loopholes and increase taxes on companies moving offshore but give tax breaks to those who move here. I'd aim tax cuts solely at the middle class. I'd also restructure what is defined as earned income. Some modest tax increases on the uber rich would result but they'd get it back anyway with a healthier economy. Cut government spending across the board by eliminating waste. I'd also give states more clout in how they govern their own affairs.
if you just cut government spending 10% across the board, they could find the waste and eliminate it. that would funnel some of the saved money back into the economy.

definitely agree with states having more rights in their decision making. it allows states to experiment with programs and see what works for them before national implementation-which we know is a nightmare to undo.

totally agree about repealing all of those "free trade" agreements, which are, in actuality, managed trade agreements-which do not benefit the average citizen at all.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Does the US still need to be part of NATO? The Cold War is over.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 PM

13,874 posts, read 9,841,076 times
The housing crisis is the problem. Foreclosures and underwater mortgages are depressing the economy still. Until you fix that problem, nothing will help.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM

I've noticed that Trade Reform got a good amount of votes. Anyone care to elaborate on how Trade Reform can help fix our economy? I am curious. Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,534,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I've noticed that Trade Reform got a good amount of votes. Anyone care to elaborate on how Trade Reform can help fix our economy? I am curious. Thanks
We give China favorable trade agreements. So they can make more money on the products they sell to us, then we can selling our products to them. For instance, for a US company to sell in China, they must open a factory there. Not so for China to sell a good here in the United States.

Why would we do something that sounds that crazy?

Well, China has 1.3 billion people. The United States has around 350 million people.

So they have a MUCH bigger market to sell to. So, the economic gurus feel that if you with the added base of possible consumers, it pays to give China favorable trading agreements.

Macro economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies