Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,801,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You bet! When I need an apologist for fascism, you will top the list.
Why do you think that I'm defending fascism when I'm merely pointing out that the Americans prosecuted the war in as viscous and brutal a manner as any other belligerent nation?

How does that make me a fascism apologist when you advocate waging war against civilians despite such notion always being in violation of American principles (but not American practices)?

Do you even know what fascism means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
1. Justified attack is not self-defense. It is offense. Britain was on the offensive in WWII the entire time.

2. Britain was not justified to defend Poland. In fact, Britain played a crucial role in taking German land and giving it to Poland, which was the justification for Germany attacking Poland.
Mutual defence treaties signed by Poland and England? The fact of the matter is those who signed actually responded late and very weak. Poland and Romania begged France and England to honor the treaty but fell before either country even considered it.
France as usual buried their heads in the sand and trusted in an obsolete line of defence.
England made excuses and pretended to believe a single word Germany said to excuse the invasions.
In the end when by the time Either France or England engaged, Germany had already devestated Poland and much of Europe.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 PM

23,584 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Default intent of OP

Ever since obama landed, politics has been headlined by a desire for global equivalence or reputation, economy, opportunity and so this post to take the USA down a peg to make it equivalent to Mao, Hitler and so on.

This post is in the vein of Obama's apology tour and nothing more.

A discussion of ethics and consequences would be a good thing but this is just a post to denegrate the USA.

Lies as judged today were the military secrets of yesterday's success. The media and political division today transcends the good of the country as military secrets are exposed and broadcast on the cable news. An enemy operation center convenes when MSNBC broadcasts. The new NYTimes becomes the secret documents our enemies use for effectiveness t kill our troops. The media has become the propagandists to help defeat us as it stives for publication awards for human misery perpetrated exclusively on enemy combatants while enemy collateral damage is reduced to emperical figures devoid of human compassion.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,801,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ever since obama landed, politics has been headlined by a desire for global equivalence or reputation, economy, opportunity and so this post to take the USA down a peg to make it equivalent to Mao, Hitler and so on.

This post is in the vein of Obama's apology tour and nothing more.

A discussion of ethics and consequences would be a good thing but this is just a post to denegrate the USA.

Lies as judged today were the military secrets of yesterday's success. The media and political division today transcends the good of the country as military secrets are exposed and broadcast on the cable news. An enemy operation center convenes when MSNBC broadcasts. The new NYTimes becomes the secret documents our enemies use for effectiveness t kill our troops. The media has become the propagandists to help defeat us as it stives for publication awards for human misery perpetrated exclusively on enemy combatants while enemy collateral damage is reduced to emperical figures devoid of human compassion.
This post is nothing but American exceptionalism expressed as an "us vs. them" mentality, which is just plain wrongheaded in my opinion. If most Americans think as you do, then it's no wonder why America seems to be perpetually at war.

If America is truly surrounded by enemies as your post suggests, then why not simply nuke everybody--eradicate every non-American--and then be done with it? I think you know as well as I do that such a notion is ridiculous. America doesn't exist in a vacuum. We need the rest of the world as much as they need us.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,799,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Why do you think that I'm defending fascism when I'm merely pointing out that the Americans prosecuted the war in as viscous and brutal a manner as any other belligerent nation?

How does that make me a fascism apologist when you advocate waging war against civilians despite such notion always being in violation of American principles (but not American practices)?

Do you even know what fascism means?
Because I have heard these "arguments" my entire life. They invariably rely on twisted facts, irrelevancies, and even outright falsehoods.

Anyone who examines the basic facts can easily see the atomic bomb was not only more than justified, but also necessary. Additionally, and more importanly, it worked. It worked brilliantly.

A viscous enemy went from preparing for a valiant last stand that would have featured children suicide bombers and casualties in the hundreds of thousands if not millions to an unconditional surrender that saved lives and began an era of cooperation, prosperity, and ultimately reconcilliation.

In most academic circles they refer to that as a "no-brainer." So, seeing that no argument against the bomb holds any water, then I am inevitably left feeling that people who still argue against it have other motives. So it seems with you.

Look, most people are not happy the bomb was used. We all wish the war had never happened. But it did.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,492,467 times
Quote:
The A-Bombs were not used in a vacuum. Truman did not wake up one morning and proclaim, "You know Bess, those goshdarned Japs are just too much. I'm gonna nuke em!" The bombs were weapons used against a viscous enemy. What part of that do you find nebulous?
I don't find any of it nebulous. I find Truman disgusting. Why do you suppose I don't get what you're saying, just because I don't buy it?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Because I have heard these "arguments" my entire life. They invariably rely on twisted facts, irrelevancies, and even outright falsehoods.

Anyone who examines the basic facts can easily see the atomic bomb was not only more than justified, but also necessary. Additionally, and more importanly, it worked. It worked brilliantly.

A viscous enemy went from preparing for a valiant last stand that would have featured children suicide bombers and casualties in the hundreds of thousands if not millions to an unconditional surrender that saved lives and began an era of cooperation, prosperity, and ultimately reconcilliation.

In most academic circles they refer to that as a "no-brainer." So, seeing that no argument against the bomb holds any water, then I am inevitably left feeling that people who still argue against it have other motives. So it seems with you.

Look, most people are not happy the bomb was used. We all wish the war had never happened. But it did.
The war between the U.S. and Japan was provoked by the U.S., prolonged by the U.S., and concluded with several rounds of increasingly despicable assaults on noncombatants. Not as collateral damage, mind you, but as targets. Defend that if you like, but don't expect respect from people with the integrity not to excuse in their own country what they condemn in others.

If Hiroshima was justified, 9/11 certainly was, many times over. That's a no-brainer.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Based on what we experienced up and to the time we dropped the bombs it was not unreasonable to assume that japan would not surrender without further heavy casualties to our forces.
For the tenth time: they offered to negotiate a surrender in July, 1945. WE chose not to pursue it. WE therefore bear responsibility for every death that occurred following that decision.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,714,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Don't attack the messenger. Find a single false statement in the article, using a more reliable source, and tell us what it is.
Starting with "On", and ending with "resentment." It's left-wing, anti-American, intellectually and historically bankrupt drivel! Those terms would also apply to anyone clueless enough to believe it.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Starting with "On", and ending with "resentment." It's left-wing, anti-American, intellectually and historically bankrupt drivel! Those terms would also apply to anyone clueless enough to believe it.
Funny, Truman was a dyed-in-the-wool left-winger.

Unless you are defining "left-wing" as simply anti-war, in which case where do I sign up?

You are probably unaware, but the conservatives of 1939-41 were almost uniformly against involvement in the war. After Pearl Harbor they were too *****-whipped to do the right thing and refuse to give assent to a cause and a president they despised, but they knew what the truth was: "all this sticking pins in rattlesnakes has finally gotten us bit." (Herbert Hoover on December 8, 1941.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies