Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,007,071 times

Advertisements

I had to get this news from a Canadian pharmacy this morning. Apparently, there is a bill in the works that would censor our usage of the Internet as they do in China. It is S 968 and called the Protect IP Act. I only found out about this as I was inquiring as to if they (the pharmacy) could still ship to the US (btw, this is totally legal). It's pretty sad when you get your news from a Canadian pharmacy.

Obama will have the final say I presume. If he signs off on this, we're doomed and it's only a matter of time.

Protect IP Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
HA..this bill gives them the right to go after websites not registered in the US.
So much for embracing globalism huh ?

This is their response to the witch hunt they did on Wikileaks and failed because the websites were outside of the US.

Our government is fearful of something with the internet and they want to be able to control it and take it down, if necessary. And they have taken down websites..even innocent ones because where they are concerned it's "guilty until proven innocent" and if you happen to be hosting on the same physical server as another that the government targets then you too could go down in a flame of smoke as they take down the entire server and all websites off that server..not just the one company they are after. And this is inside the US.

I guess more companies are leaving the US for hosting and the government feels they are losing control which rightly they should because they have no clue what they are doing.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
If Obama passes this then I'll admit I was wrong
Well....better late than never.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,007,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well....better late than never.
Well, we're not there yet. Time will tell.

However, I will say that as time goes by, I just have to wonder whose side he is on.

This is NOT to endorse republican policies at all, rather to say it's possible we might have been duped.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,018,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

This is NOT to endorse republican policies at all, rather to say it's possible we might have been duped.
Welcome to American politics! Don't feel too bad, Republicans and Democrats alike are guilty of duping us, or at least attempting to do so. Roger Daltrey said it best, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." And to think, he wasn't even an American!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
You do realize that the MPAA/RIAA has Obama in their pockets... they made huge contributions to him and the DNC... you do realize Obama is the one behind the scenes pushing for this bill, right? Have you not paid attention to his speeches... there is a LOT/HUGE number of references to this kind of bill... I find it ironic that you voted for someone and didn't pay attention to his speeches...

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,975 times
Quote:

However, I will say that as time goes by, I just have to wonder whose side he is on.

A critical look at the actions of government would show the real conflict is not Democrat vs Republican. It's really about government vs citizens.

Mainstream members of both parties are far more concerned about increasing government's power, control, and profit than they are about adhering to their oaths of office and working to guard the rights and freedoms of their constituents.

With very few exceptions, politicians, once in office, give little thought to their constituents until it's time to campaign for reelection. At that time they suddenly become enlightened and trot out a bunch of promises they have no intention of fulfilling once they're reelected.

Politics is the deception of many for the benefit of few. If you're not among the political ruling class you're one of the many.

Last edited by outbacknv; 07-09-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 11:52 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times
Quote:
I had to get this news from a Canadian pharmacy this morning. Apparently, there is a bill in the works that would censor our usage of the Internet as they do in China. It is S 968 and called the Protect IP Act. I only found out about this as I was inquiring as to if they (the pharmacy) could still ship to the US (btw, this is totally legal). It's pretty sad when you get your news from a Canadian pharmacy.

Obama will have the final say I presume. If he signs off on this, we're doomed and it's only a matter of time.

Protect IP Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obama will have the final say after the House approves this thing in case the whole Senate does so. I don't think the House can approve it since they are trying so hard to convince people that they aren't desirous of hurting the people. Now I didn't say that Boehner and friends wouldn't vote for this one but I think I can guarantee that my Representative will be one vote against it.

So many have told you what is really going on with the politicians and have all been right, except for those who are playing a political game.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:

Amazing to me, after all this fraud, liar in the WH has done, that anyone can still be on his side.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,461,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Amazing to me, after all this fraud, liar in the WH has done, that anyone can still be on his side.

Simply amazing isn't it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies