Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,307,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
All of those cities have other factors in common that add to their safety factor or lack thereof.
I won't dispute that. My point is that lax gun laws do not have a proven positive effect on safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM

8,181 posts, read 9,249,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I won't dispute that. My point is that lax gun laws do not have a proven positive effect on safety.
I agree with that on a macro level, on a micro level having a gun can stop a crime against you much better than not having a gun.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I agree with that on a macro level, on a micro level having a gun can stop a crime against you much better than not having a gun.
Really? You have to balance the benefit of being armed against the drawback of inflaming the situation.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,876,097 times
Quote:
Your point is wrong, I carry a firearm not only because it's my right to do so but because in the past I've been in situations where I very much needed a weapon to defend myself and my family. In my case, along with millions of others strict gun laws would have had a negative effect on my safety. I'll add that I don't know anyone who has ever accidentally been shot, lost a child to a firearm in the home, shot anyone accidentally, had an unexpected discharge of a firearm, wrongly used a firearm, etc etc etc. I don't need the government to tell me how I can and cannot protect myself because it does a very poor job of protecting me as it is.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Really? You have to balance the benefit of being armed against the drawback of inflaming the situation.
It's a concealed weapon therefore it should be hidden, it doesn't inflame any situation until it's actually drawn and used. At the point when it is drawn and fired it's way past the point where you worry about inflaming any situation and you're defending your life.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM

8,181 posts, read 9,249,392 times
Quote:
It is situational. In something like Luby's massacre in Texas, one armed person could have saved 23 people.

All it does is give a choice to an individual, do they pull a gun to ward off a rapist, or not. Without the gun they lose that choice.

The problem is most of the success stories go unreported so we don't know what we don't know.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Your point is wrong, I carry a firearm not only because it's my right to do so but because in the past I've been in situations where I very much needed a weapon to defend myself and my family. In my case, along with millions of others strict gun laws would have had a negative effect on my safety. I'll add that I don't know anyone who has ever accidentally been shot, lost a child to a firearm in the home, shot anyone accidentally, had an unexpected discharge of a firearm, wrongly used a firearm, etc etc etc. I don't need the government to tell me how I can and cannot protect myself because it does a very poor job of protecting me as it is.
Cool story. I haven't seen any stats showing a net benefit to gun ownership.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It is situational. In something like Luby's massacre in Texas, one armed person could have saved 20 people.

All it does is give a choice to an individual, do they pull a gun to ward off a rapist, or not. Without the gun they lose that choice.

The problem is most of the success stories go unreported so we don't know what we don't know.
Fair enough. I don't necessarily have a stance on what gun laws should be; I just think a lot of the pro-gun rhetoric is overdone.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Cool story. I haven't seen any stats showing a net benefit to gun ownership.
You don't need to see stats, all you need to do is read the second amendment and deal with it. Nobody is forcing you to own or carry a firearm, I'm sure if you ask anyone like myself who carries a firearm I will gladly let someone shoot you instead of defending you with my firearm.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You don't need to see stats, all you need to do is read the second amendment and deal with it. Nobody is forcing you to own or carry a firearm, I'm sure if you ask anyone like myself who carries a firearm I will gladly let someone shoot you instead of defending you with my firearm.
So much for the charitable hospitable conservative stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies