Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
New York would not have passed it if it had gone to a vote on election day. The only way anything passes here is NYC skews the state.
The polls say that 58% of New Yorkers SUPPORT SSM. The reason why the anti-gay "props" don't pass is because the voters are bombarded with fearful messages, outright lies and arm twisting by the churches. If the voters were armed with rational arguments, some (some, not all) would be able to make an informed decision. Unfortunately, American voters are not that sophisticated and will elect anybody that they can "have a beer with" or appeals to their prejudices, etc. I'd rather have smart, educated people decide the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That goes for gun rights too right?
Rational people should be allowed to have guns. My grandfather had a sign in his garage that said, "Guns don't kill people; People kill People". I believe that the common man needs gun for protection and needs to know how to use it.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,507,211 times
In the near future I think you will see quite a few more states legalize Same-Sex marriage, and the repeal of DOMA.

I think the Court may eventually strike down laws in states that ban gay marriage similar to Loving V Virginia, but I don't see the current court doing so (if it reaches the Court I think Kennedy votes to repeal DADT, but against overturning state bans). I also think that wouldn't happen until a majority of states (though perhaps enough states that have majority of the U.S population in them) legalize same sex marriage.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
But there is the fact that they can get removed either by legislative action or by another ballot initiative. This is something that is likely to start happening soon.
New York State has neither a referendum nor a ballot initiative process.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,552,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
With New York just passing gay marriage rights being the sixth state so far. It seems like it will only be a matter of time before the majority of other states eventually follow through it may be in some years (or decades perhaps) but it seems likely.

What do you think will be the last states or state to holdout?
My vote goes to Florida........... Florida just recently and finally allowed gays to adopt children but our "illustrious" crook of a governor wants to rescind that.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
My vote goes to Florida........... Florida just recently and finally allowed gays to adopt children but our "illustrious" crook of a governor wants to rescind that.
How did Floridians allow this thieving piece of garbage to become Governor? Are people really that ignorant?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How did Floridians allow this thieving piece of garbage to become Governor? Are people really that ignorant?

Here....yes......it really is appalling....

He is systematically dismantling the state government and was elected.........after pleading "no contest" to Medicare fraud and paying the largest such fine in corporate history.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,507,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Perhaps Scott is hoping that enough people in Florida hate gays to get his approval back over the 30% mark.....

Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Perhaps Scott is hoping that enough people in Florida hate gays to get his approval back over the 30% mark.....
Well voters here made gay unions illegal by a 67% margin IF I remember correctly.........so you could be right!

Plus we gave the country Anita Bryant too!

Old 06-25-2011, 11:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,203,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Well voters here made gay unions illegal by a 67% margin IF I remember correctly.........so you could be right!

Plus we gave the country Anita Bryant too!
To be fair, I think it was 62%. But, I could be wrong.
Scott is an idiot and an embarrassment.
Can we give the panhandle to Alabama and Georgia? Then Florida will be a blue state every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies