Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,014,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Marriage by a Justice of the Peace, is by a gov't official. Do not force religious institutions to perform this, or support it in any way, that would be sacrilegious. If we were really a free society, nobody should be forced to perform gay marriage, if it goes against their religious beliefs.
And... we are.

I guess you haven't been paying attention to the 220 year history of the Bill of Rights, but religious institutions are free to decline to perform marriages as they wish.

Can you cite an instance of, say, a church in Massachusetts being forced to perform a same-sex marriage in the seven years since they became legal there? Nope. It doesn't happen.

Some churches/synagogues/mosques of all stripes refuse to perform interfaith marriages. This is discrimination based upon religion, but since it is being performed by a private religions agency (and not the state, or a business) such an agency is free to do so. There are some sects (generally not large, but they exist) that will not perform interracial marriages. Again, perfectly legal. The same with same-sex marriages.

This "OMG, now churches HAVE TO perform same-sex marriages even AGAINST THEIR WILL!" is a lie. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have heard this lie and ignorantly believed it, rather than being intentionally deceitful.

Consider yourself correctly.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:30 PM

10,423 posts, read 15,719,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
That's fine.

You're allowed to make up your own weird definitions for things even when said definitions have no bearing on reality. (which is pretty much the only thing at which religion excels!)

<------- PS - the 20th Century is thataway!
I'm not MAD AT CHA (or) you mad at ME......??????

Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,692,470 times
"By the power vested in me by the state of New York, I pronounce you _____ and _____."

Sounds like the government is pretty involved in marriage! Doesn't belong to religion alone.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,860,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Marriage is a religious insitution and it should stay that way. This is a sad day for traditional marriage.
Wrong. Marriage has not historically been a religious institution. Martin Luther himself (you know the guy that basically created Protestantism) said marriage was a "worldly thing" and Christianity had no business being involved with it.

Learn some history would you.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:12 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,155,577 times
I think religion lost all its credibility when they used to burn witches at the stake in Salem.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,021,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I think religion lost all its credibility when they used to burn witches at the stake in Salem.
Some of us are surprised that it ever had any credibility... Never had any to me, even when I was a young child.

In actuality, religion started to lose its credibility when information could be widely shared. You can thank Gutenberg for that. As you can tell, it's still very much a process for some.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,635,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
And... we are.

I guess you haven't been paying attention to the 220 year history of the Bill of Rights, but religious institutions are free to decline to perform marriages as they wish.

Can you cite an instance of, say, a church in Massachusetts being forced to perform a same-sex marriage in the seven years since they became legal there? Nope. It doesn't happen.

Some churches/synagogues/mosques of all stripes refuse to perform interfaith marriages. This is discrimination based upon religion, but since it is being performed by a private religions agency (and not the state, or a business) such an agency is free to do so. There are some sects (generally not large, but they exist) that will not perform interracial marriages. Again, perfectly legal. The same with same-sex marriages.

This "OMG, now churches HAVE TO perform same-sex marriages even AGAINST THEIR WILL!" is a lie. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have heard this lie and ignorantly believed it, rather than being intentionally deceitful.

Consider yourself correctly.
Just checking!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:39 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,635,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Some of us are surprised that it ever had any credibility... Never had any to me, even when I was a young child.

In actuality, religion started to lose its credibility when information could be widely shared. You can thank Gutenberg for that. As you can tell, it's still very much a process for some.
Your self-righteousness is showing. Why must you be so offensive and smug about your lack of belief in anything outside of yourself? I think to strive to a status beyond that of human nature, is honorable and worthy of respect. If you want respect, show it toward others. What goes around, comes around. kapeesh?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,176,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Marriage by a Justice of the Peace, is by a gov't official. Do not force religious institutions to perform this, or support it in any way, that would be sacrilegious. If we were really a free society, nobody should be forced to perform gay marriage, if it goes against their religious beliefs.
Are you suggesting that religious institutions would be forced to perform gay marriages? That's just simply false.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,014,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Are you suggesting that religious institutions would be forced to perform gay marriages? That's just simply false.
Peddling falsehoods, either from sheer ignorance or dishonesty, is what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies