Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,900,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
First off...no one said anything about 'dressing like a 'thug'...

To a prejudice security person...a black guy in a three piece suit, is still a 'thug'...it doesn't matter...

So this 'thug' scenerio doesn't fit here...

I highly doubt a 'thug' would be on here typing about this...get real...

You've already shared that in your mind, blacks all dress like 'thugs'...(therefore such treatment is justified)

Many white teens can still 'emulate' urban culture, walk into a store, and still get a pass...'Oh how cute'...

But a black guy walks into a store wearing a tuxedo, and the irrational security team thinks he's with the MOB...

People aren't looking at your clothes, their responding to your skin tone, first and foremost, and their own negitave perception of...

Your antidote towards this situation cannot justify bigots using their behavior to needlessly harrace people of color, just because they feel like it...
(and some of these bigots can be black or Asian or Middle Eastern, bigotry has been exported everywhere...so it's not just 'whites' who do this)

I had one aggresive, looney, undercover janitor, follow me into the bathroom once...pretending to mop the floor, while trying to spy on me...

And then when I left, they practically turned their neck around like an owl...to get a view of who I was...

Once again I complained to the regional manager...this was a small town, and I was no more dressed as a 'thug' than Joe Montana, formerly of the San Fransisco 49's...

Denying that it occurs, won't make it stop...be honest with thyself...

You yourself just implied that 'blacks dress like thugs'...(a perception that would impare ones ability to do their job properly, If working as security guard)
(this is why some security jobs require long lengthy phycological exams that one must pass in order to get hired)

And even if some do, how does one justify racist behavior towards blacks in stores way before that whole 'thug' culture became a 'trend'...like say in 1978?
Please quote where I indicated that all blacks dress like thugs. Please.
I've mentioned when we would call for security to scan, it would be when teenagers would group up together in areas, like the DVDs and CD -- I even mentioned that this was TEENagers, not a black/white/whatever issue. We HAVE called that message when a group of all white teens would do that -- but just so YOU'RE aware of where I live, I live in a fairly diverse area. Many times those groups of teens were USUALLY a mixed group of friends.

Also, I even mentioned that it's NOT a "black person wearing thug clothes", its WEARING thug clothes. This means ANYONE.

But, you're a victim. You'd never see reason.
Make sure the next time you don't get that promotion, you go to management and complain racism. That works well in the company I work for now, and they get whatever the want -- and STILL act like victims.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,565,115 times
OP, you are talking to a bunch of people on C-D who don't give a "flying flip" about the unfair treatment that Blacks and others receive while shopping. It happens. They know that it happens. They DON'T CARE!

I mean "shopping while Black" has even happened to Oprah. OPRAH! And Oprah is even a billionaire and some folks still had the audacity to profile her too! This has happened to Condi Rice as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062302086.html

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2007/08/maybe-condis-black-after-all/

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,478,075 times
People use stereotypes when they choose to pick on a group, and they are ignorant.

They use pop culture to choose who to eliminate as being trustworthy.

They are buying into the prevailing social trends of "blacks cause more crimes than whites" so let's watch ANYBODY who's black.

IT'S WRONG.

EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S WRONG.

but it continues.

blame the media, social stereotypes.

PERIOD.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times
I wonder how much of that feeling is based on paranoia. I remember I used to feel odd the first couple of times I did my shopping at an Arab store in Britain. I was always the only Northern person in there (most were Arabs, Pakistanis and Indians, but no whites). They had those huge mirrors in the corners and I felt like they were watching me. And indeed they were as I looked up a couple of times and found someone looking at me. Maybe the problem was more on my side, dunno. Maybe they were watching all customers. Anyway, I went in there regularly and after a couple of weeks they already knew me and one of them even asked me where I was from. They seemed to accept me and were friendly.

One day, though, I was walking home with a black colleague from France and when we were passing by that shop, he told me that he no longer entered that shop as they had wrongly accused him of shoplifting and threatened to call the police. He said he had offered them to search him and they let him go. He didn't steal anything. From that moment on I never went in there anymore, either.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,478,075 times
ALL BLACKS could (one day just change up the trends).

Then... POPULAR MEDIA WOULD HAVE TO REPORT IT!

Does pop media report when a black neighborhood is CRIME FREE?

NO!

So the bullcrap continues.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,213,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Well within minutes, according to this guys account, the local police had been called, and each trucker, was assigned a 'shadow' cop...
And they would know that cops were called because?

Sorry, I just dont buy the "I'm black, you hate me" mentality you pertray here, especially considering you supporting one other poster claiming they were being targeted because store personnel actually bothered to help the poster..

Sounds to me like you guys want to shout racism no matter what..

I'm black, you didnt help me, therefore your racist.
I'm black, you did help me, therefore your racist.

The non stop racism bs is getting rather sad.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,332,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
OP, you are talking to a bunch of people on C-D who don't give a "flying flip" about the unfair treatment that Blacks and others receive while shopping. It happens. They know that it happens. They DON'T CARE!

I mean "shopping while Black" has even happened to Oprah. OPRAH! And Oprah is even a billionaire and some folks still had the audacity to profile her too! This has happened to Condi Rice as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062302086.html

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2...ack-after-all/
Thanks, I appreciate your response...

Like I was trying to tell that other poster...it happens to people, of all classes, and income levels...

They implied it was some 'section 8' type of issue, and like the post above reveals, it happens to people even when their self made billionares...

It has nothing to do with being a 'victim'...it has everything to do with always being 'insulted', and having your motives misread by ill trained store personal, while accepting your money...

And when their wrong...no apology...their attitude is just...'Oh, we just didn't catch you this time'....

You get two reactions on here...

Some inevitably know people are still bias...accept it, own it, and move on...

Then you have others who insist it's all 'in your head' 'imagined'...irregardless of account after account after account of true life experiences...

They act as if racism has never been an issue in America, as if schools were never segrigated, as if black males were never lynched for dating white women, as if Goerge Wallace never existed...

It's all just a figment of our imagination...it never occured, like the Holocast never occured in the minds of some...

Oh well...at least reasoned people, who aren't guilt laden, understand...

They, the reasoned people, realize it's not an attack on them, rather it's people just sharing painful or awkward experiences they have 'shopping while black'...

I can no more justify the actions of a thief, than I can the actions of a bigot...they are both wrong...

Old 05-29-2011, 11:36 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,332,926 times
Could someone describe to me what 'thug' clothing is??

Does it become 'thug' clothing as soon as a male of color wears it?
Or is it thug clothing while hanging on the rack at the store?

Are Levi or Wrangler jeans considered 'thug' clothing??

Or how about a 'biker leather jacket'...

Are sports jerseys considerred thug clothing?

And is it the clothing, or the person wearing the clothing, that makes the clothes 'thug' in the eyes of those who judge?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,565,115 times
You've never had to live with it as a daily part of your life so, of course, you wouldn't understand. You couldn't possibly understand. And I can not realistically expect people like you to 'get it' because you don't have to deal with it.

My personal feeling is true racism will NEVER go away. EVER. So one must learn to turn situations to their advantage whenever possible. We must "let our haters be our motivators".

Last edited by calipoppy; 05-29-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,213,074 times
Quote:
You've never had to live with it as a daily part of your life so, of course, you wouldn't understand. You couldn't possibly understand. And I can not realistically expect people like you to 'get it' because you don't have to deal with it.
Wrong.. 75% of my household is black. Ooh I get it, maybe I take them into the stores with me so they can distract the security personnel while I stuff baseball cards down my pants.
Quote:
My personal feeling is true racism will NEVER go away. EVER. So one must learn to turn situations to their advantage whenever possible. We must "let our haters be our motivators".
True, but you cant possibly call EVERYTHING racism.. One posting actually claimed that they were being helped, and thus the store was being racist, but again, had the store helped the white customers, they could have made the very same claim..

Call racism, racism, not a bunch of meaningless bs, or are you going to claim you've heard announcements like the OP have proclaimed as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.