Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:53 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,681,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Honestly life's too short to worry about such things. They think they are doing their jobs, why should I begrudge them.

Although while they are focusing on Black folks the middle aged white lady is robbing them blind elsewhere in the store.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,333,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I think it was this part

combined with the fact that the ethnic people they were told to watch weren't the ones who were stealing. Just like in any other security situation, behavioral profiling works much better than ethnic profiling.

I personally was followed around a store, dragged up to the security office (without anyone telling my blind husband, who was checking out), searched, threatened, and then banned from the store, even though I hadn't stolen a thing. I was allowed back into the store because my husband told them a) I hadn't stolen anything & the security arsehole knew it, and b) he needed assistance to shop, so they could either let me in, or assign someone to walk around the store with him to read labels and prices and to find things. They let me in. The security manager would stand conspicuously in the areas we'd shop, and I always gave him a big cheesy grin as I went by, and said "hi!" - for some reason, he kept calling me a smartass.
This is a civil suit if I ever heard one...

1. Harracing a blind persons aid, or wife...leaving him to fend for himself at register...

2. Being searched without cause....(lawsuit) (expecially if you were touched or patted down in any way)...big big law suit...

3. Emotionl distress caused by having your privacy violated. (4th ammendment I believe)(which protects against unreasonable search and seizures)

Either you stole, or you didn't...there is no grey area...'suspicion' is not enough to detain you...(maybe for cops, but not store security)...

Assuming your telling the truth here...the store is lucky you didn't take them to the bank...

Why didn't you file suit against them?
And how much time has past since this incedent?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
This is a civil suit if I ever heard one...

1. Harracing a blind persons aid, or wife...leaving him to fend for himself at register...

2. Being searched without cause....(lawsuit) (expecially if you were touched or patted down in any way)...big big law suit...

Either you stole, or you didn't...there is no grey area...'suspicion' is not enough to detain you...(maybe for cops, but not store security)...

Assuming your telling the truth here...the store is lucky you didn't take them to the bank...

Why didn't you by the way?
And how much time has past since this incedent?
It's entirely true, and it happened in late 1984 or early 1985. I was young and poor, and it never even occurred to me that I'd have any kind of case against the store. It happened in K-Mart at Franklin & Sinclair, in Baltimore, Maryland.

The security manager did grab me by the arm, confiscated my purse, and basically dragged me up to the office. He kept asking questions like "what did you do with the videotapes you took??". I answered "What videotapes? We don't even have a VCR!" It was almost surreal. He dumped my purse out on the desk (breaking a makeup compact), after asking if I had any drugs in there. My answer, as I was getting angry - "Midol". In reality, I was frantic to get back to my husband, since he had no idea what had happened or where I was.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Many years ago, I dated a young lady who worked plain-clothed security at one of the local department stores here in MI (Meijer Thrifty Acres). She taught me all about what really goes on behind the scenes. If you are in a 24 hour store at 3AM, at least half of those other shoppers are store security. Moreover, the numerous cameras and a catwalks make it so you are never not being watched by security from some place in the store. And those couples you see walking arm in arm,...oh yeah, they're floor walkers too.

Here's the thing about the OP, if you don't actually steal something, why care what they do? Every store has video cameras trained on every corner of the sales floor so it's not like they can falsely accuse someone of stealing when the camera is there to witness everything.
Why care??

I'll answer that again...

Cause I'm spending my money there...and want to be appreciated as a valued custimer, not some rift raft who lacks morals and values...

Don't insult me, while at the same time I'm patronizing your store, and maybe recomending others to go there as well...

It's about respect...
And no one, no one...likes having their character besmirched, expecially while spending your money to help the store with it's bottom line...

Yes, they can watch and probe all they want...but when they become overly blatant with it.

"Black guy/gal just walked into store, prepare batons, and tazers...security scan Isle 5, where they're looking at the mustard, suspiciously...end message" (this is only a recording)

..it becomes rude and demeaning...

I'd rather them insult me before I spend my money, not after or while in the process...

What did Aretha Franklin say??, something about r,e,s,p,e,c,t

YouTube - ‪Aretha Franklin - Respect [1967]‬‏

Last edited by Time and Space; 05-28-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 PM

391 posts, read 514,322 times
I've been shopping with a friend and seen "shopping while black" first hand. I have seen a $5 bill checked, people helped in line ahead of us, being followed, questioned and in general noticed a difference in the way that I (as a white woman) is treated than how my black female friends are treated. I think that people are under the impression that this is an "out to put the black man down" attitude when brought up, but, it does happen and is a reality.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,858,008 times
Quote:
You walk into the store...and within 1-5 minutes here it comes...

'Your being watched and monitored...all suspicious activity on your part is being recorded...if you try anything 'scum bag'...you'll be arrested so fast that you won't have time to blink'...by the way...this is a recording'...

Lately, or even in the past...it seems shopping while black, is a threat to ones own mental sanity...

This post only applies to those who never steal, never intend on stealing, and who only want to enjoy their shopping experience and be appreciated as a custimor rather than a suspect...

And if your a black male, it's even worse...notice how always, within minutes of entering the store, here come the automated security speals??

And the sad thing is, is it don't matter if your pants are hanging down your butt, or if your dressed in a 3 piece suit...those in charge of such things, security, just seem to loose all control of rational thought, when a male of color walks into the store...they just think they know your intentions from the get go...and those intentions are to 'steal' something...

How do you deal with it? and How does it make you feel?

Do you ever call back to the store manager and express your outrage?
Or do you just absorb it?
What stores have you heard this in?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It's entirely true, and it happened in late 1984 or early 1985. I was young and poor, and it never even occurred to me that I'd have any kind of case against the store. It happened in K-Mart at Franklin & Sinclair, in Baltimore, Maryland.

The security manager did grab me by the arm, confiscated my purse, and basically dragged me up to the office. He kept asking questions like "what did you do with the videotapes you took??". I answered "What videotapes? We don't even have a VCR!" It was almost surreal. He dumped my purse out on the desk (breaking a makeup compact), after asking if I had any drugs in there. My answer, as I was getting angry - "Midol". In reality, I was frantic to get back to my husband, since he had no idea what had happened or where I was.
Let's see..2011-1984= 27 years ago...unfortunatly I'm sure all the players involved in that incident have since left that store...if the stores even still there anymore...

What they did to you was wrong, and without cause...I do realize things were 'different' back then...the 1960's mindset was still ingrained in many folks...and back then being 'politically correct' wasn't an invented term yet...

He probablly felt you were lower down in the social 'caste' system than himself, (be it you a person of color or a young female at the time)...back then the term 'male chauvinist pg' was thrown around a lot for a reason...

Some felt it was just their inherint right to step on the dignity of others.
If he tried that today, not only would he be out of a job, but you'd be a millionare...and then some...oh well...
With his behavior or that stores security, maybe they did eventually make someone into a millionare...infact for the fun of it, maybe I'll see if that particular store was ever 'sued' for harracement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I've been shopping with a friend and seen "shopping while black" first hand. I have seen a $5 bill checked, people helped in line ahead of us, being followed, questioned and in general noticed a difference in the way that I (as a white woman) is treated than how my black female friends are treated. I think that people are under the impression that this is an "out to put the black man down" attitude when brought up, but, it does happen and is a reality.
Hi, some questions please...

Are you white white...or Cuban white or hispanic white?
These 'black' female friends of yours who seem to get treated differently...

Are they 'Haitian' Cuban black, Latino black, regular no ethnic accent A-American black or other??

How do they dress usually?
Street fashion? Elagent Macy's store fashion? Casual?

How do they speak?
Do they speak 'proper'? or 'street' or 'Southern' or with 'ethnic accent'?

I'm just curious and trying to see why they seem to draw negitave attention, and you don't...

Are there other factors involved, or are they just targets of other peoples need to be prejudge (in a bad way) and demean.

Also, are the area stores you frequent in 'bad neighborhoods' 'middle class neighborhoods' or 'upscale neighborhoods' or all of the above?

And do your female freinds accept this kind of behavior directed at them? or do they question it, and demand an explanation?

One more thing...

Do they notice their the attention of negitave stereotyping, or is it something you notice others do to them, while in your presence?

One more question...the people treating your freinds with suspicious hostility...are they white, black, ethnic, male, female, cuban or all of the above and then some?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,301,018 times
Quote:
Let's see..2011-1984= 27 years ago...unfortunatly I'm sure all the players involved in that incident have since left that store...if the stores even still there anymore...

What they did to you was wrong, and without cause...I do realize things were 'different' back then...the 1960's mindset was still ingrained in many folks...and back then being 'politically correct' wasn't an invented term yet...

He probablly felt you were lower down in the social 'caste' system than himself, (be it you a person of color or a young female at the time)...back then the term 'male chauvinist pg' was thrown around a lot for a reason...

If he tried that today, not only would he be out of a job, but you'd be a millionare...and then some...oh well...
With his behavior or that stores security, maybe they did eventually make someone into a millionare...infact for the fun of it, maybe I'll see if that particular store was ever 'sued' for harracement...
Yes, I really did feel that he looked down on me. His every word and action fairly dripped with contempt. I am white, by the way, but I was very poor back then, and I'm sure it showed.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,532,150 times
Quote:
Quit lying...your white...you can get away with anything...
I thought the first post of this thread was looney, but this beats it.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:18 PM

391 posts, read 514,322 times
[quote=Time and Space;19354224]Let's see..2011-1984= 27 years ago...unfortunatly I'm sure all the players involved in that incident have since left that store...if the stores even still there anymore...

Hi, some questions please...

Are you white white...or Cuban white or hispanic white?
These 'black' female friends of yours who seem to get treated differently...

I am "white white" but often confused as white hispanic

Are they 'Haitian' Cuban black, Latino black, regular no ethnic accent A-American black or other??

They are American black

How do they dress usually?
Street fashion? Elagent Macy's store fashion? Casual?

We are all teachers, we dress casual, but not "street"

How do they speak?
Do they speak 'proper'? or 'street' or 'Southern' or with 'ethnic accent'?

They speak the same english as I do. Accent is Miami native.

I'm just curious and trying to see why they seem to draw negitave attention, and you don't...

Are there other factors involved, or are they just targets of other peoples need to be prejudge (in a bad way) and demean.

Also, are the area stores you frequent in 'bad neighborhoods' 'middle class neighborhoods' or 'upscale neighborhoods' or all of the above?

This is the neighborhod that I grew up in. I know how I've been treated and saw a difference.

And do your female freinds accept this kind of behavior directed at them? or do they question it, and demand an explanation?

They accpected what I was shocked at. It was "that's how it is" to them. I needed more time to get out of my suburban upbringing to wrap my mind around the fact that this was reality. I don't know what I thought. It was an eye opening experience,

One more thing...

Do they notice their the attention of negitave stereotyping, or is it something you notice others do to them, while in your presence?

They aren't blind just used to it.

One more question...the people treating your freinds with suspicious hostility...are they white, black, ethnic, male, female, cuban or all of the above and then some?[/quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.