Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,109,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Muah...I'm not articulate or polished??...

That's ok guy, just messing with ya...

I totally agree with your post...
If and when someone tells me their experience...I don't sit there and try to tell them how 'wrong' they are in feeling that way...rather I try to acknowledge their grievence...and move on...

Racism actually did, does, exist in this here United States of America...

http://acriticalreviewofthehelp.file...vil-rights.jpg

To sit here and pretend this stuff didn't happen...and that now suddenly we're all viewed 'equally' in the eyes of the public...is almost laughable...

I wish it were true...but account after account still proves otherwise...

I think some of the people who respond, take it personal...is if they themselves are being accused of whatever...

Why certain induvisuals...whether white or black, feel the need to demean others, is beyond me...

I love all, and try to treat all equal, until they dictate otherwise...

Japan is lovely...was there once while serving in the Navy...lovely people, very kind and nice...
LOL. My apologies. I knew that was a wrong choice of words, but I couldn't help but to think that other posters were possibly offended, confused, appalled, baffled, etc. by your comment about the announcement made over the P.A. system. LOL I completely understood where you were coming from because I have witnessed similar situations, myself. So I was just thinking your post possibly may have been received better without the illustrations, etc. But then again, maybe not. It appears it was the actual message that you conveyed that many didn't agree with. But judging by the responses that pretty much said, "Huh? What announcements? I've never heard such announcements while I was out shopping..." made me think that they were responding more to your clip art and your "P.A. announcement" than your actual message.

So my apologies again. FWIW, I wasn't necessarily saying YOU aren't polished or articulate...rather your choice of words to convey this particular message.

Where in Japan were you stationed?

And I agree. Japan is a lovely country. Kind, respectful culture. It's funny. My father feels more welcomed and "at home" in Japan than in the U.S. That's why he chose to live there.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM

799 posts, read 1,452,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
there's an Asian/Korean bakery that mostly Asians frequent in my neighborhood. When my bf and I go there (we're white) the Asians all glare at us, but we don't really care and order our food and eat there anyway. They can all suck it

It's just funny because they clearly moved to America (where the population is 73% white) and are making money here, but they clearly resent a white person's presence.

I doubt they have a problem with you being white. It may have something to do with your personality or appearance. There is also the possibility that it could all be in your head. Half my family are Koreans and the only color they care about is green.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM

402 posts, read 592,195 times
I guess I need to visit Japan and experience this. Some of my worst shopping experiences have been in stores with Asian employees. I went to Oahu in March and although I LOVE the area, I was treated rudely in stores on several occasions and 80% of the employees giving such poor treatment were Asian. I also experience that around my hometown in gas stations and other places they own. It is disgusting. leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,354,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I doubt they have a problem with you being white. It may have something to do with your personality or appearance. There is also the possibility that it could all be in your head. Half my family are Koreans and the only color they care about is green.
Nope. BF and I are business people and come in wearing business clothes and have calm, professional demeanors and are very polite. They just hate that we're white, period. Nearly all the Asians glare, I don't know if all the people who work behind the counter are Korean or that their customers are. It's been quite the unusual experience for me; I've never been discriminated against due to my race (gender and age, yes, but not race). At least, not that I know of.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,109,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
I guess I need to visit Japan and experience this. Some of my worst shopping experiences have been in stores with Asian employees. I went to Oahu in March and although I LOVE the area, I was treated rudely in stores on several occasions and 80% of the employees giving such poor treatment were Asian. I also experience that around my hometown in gas stations and other places they own. It is disgusting. leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Yes, you must go to Japan to experience this. Although there is a large population of Japanese people in Hawaii, I'm strictly speaking about Japanese people in Japan. The service in Japan is impeccable. You are greeted with a bow and a very polite welcome even in McDonald's.

Gas stations in Japan are something else, also. They will bow to you as you leave, and in a lot of cases, the gas station attendants will stop traffic to allow their patrons easy exit from their establishment. Traffic in Japan (at least in the Tokyo area) is no joke.

And again, I'm only speaking about the Japanese culture in Japan (not any other Asian culture). I'm not sure where you live, but I'm not familiar with too many Japanese owning gas stations in the U.S. I know that was a broad generalization, but it's just my observation thus far.

Definitely check out Japan if you get the opportunity!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,340,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Actually it doesn't. Stores miss out on money when they judge a book by its cover. I know wealthy people who deliberately avoid dressing in expensive clothing JUST to see how they will be treated when they enter stores. They don't go in looking like bums either. When they still get great treatment, they are happy to continue patronizing that business.
I may have told this story on CD before, but it fits perfectly as a reply to this post.

My former boss, a well-off man, owns lots of rental properties and a flooring business here in Tucson. He never dresses well, and frequently does his own repairs on his properties, so equally frequently looks rather ... dirty. One day he went to one of the local Honda dealerships, and saw the old experienced salesmen looking at him, but none would come over to ask if he needed help. They sent the newbie out to talk to the man who, by all appearances, had no money to buy a car.

The salesman greeted him, and he ;pointed at two cars, and said "I'll take this one and this one". The salesman was overjoyed at the sale, and my boss paid by check. His daughters picked the cars up later that day. What do you want to be the young salesman gloated over the old hands that day!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM

402 posts, read 592,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I may have told this story on CD before, but it fits perfectly as a reply to this post.

My former boss, a well-off man, owns lots of rental properties and a flooring business here in Tucson. He never dresses well, and frequently does his own repairs on his properties, so equally frequently looks rather ... dirty. One day he went to one of the local Honda dealerships, and saw the old experienced salesmen looking at him, but none would come over to ask if he needed help. They sent the newbie out to talk to the man who, by all appearances, had no money to buy a car.

The salesman greeted him, and he ;pointed at two cars, and said "I'll take this one and this one". The salesman was overjoyed at the sale, and my boss paid by check. His daughters picked the cars up later that day. What do you want to be the young salesman gloated over the old hands that day!

Good for him! just goes to show these people are shooting themselves in the foot when they behave like this.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM

73,425 posts, read 63,371,072 times
I am an African-American male and from time to time I have gotten that "shopping while Black" treatment. I remember a few years ago I went to the mall. I wasn't dressed like a "thug" or even like a "typical teenager". I was dressed in a suit. I went into this bookstore and all I wanted to do is read a book, as everyone else was in there doing. I wanted to do so in peace. I was also the only African-American in the bookstore. The clerk, who happened to be White, kept looking at me and then asked "is there anything I can help you with". I said "no thank you". She wasn't asking this to anyone else. I've worked in retail before. The one time I was taught to ask "is there anything I can help you find" was if there was reason to suspect possible theft. This clerk kept following me around and asking me the same question. At that point, I just left the store and never returned. I felt like I was being suspected as a possible thief. I went into the store dressed like I came from church(it was Sunday) and it didn't stop me from getting followed. I wasn't stealing, wasn't intending to steal. I just wanted to be treated like everyone else. To say the least, I never bought anything from that store. I felt like if I was going to be followed and suspected in that store, then that store didn't deserve my money and I could spend it somewhere else. That store later closed up shop. I went into two gas stations and the attendants treated me like a suspect every time I went in. As a result, I don't go to those gas stations anymore.

Before I close out, I have some questions.

Why should I have to be subjected to being treated like "a suspect" in any establishment?

How does being treated like "a suspect" help me?

If I am subjected to such treatment, why should I shop at that particular establishment?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 AM

13,722 posts, read 20,926,581 times
Interesting.

I read over and over again how Racism is not as it used to be. Its subtle, hidden, shrouded in fog, etc. People squelch their true feelings and put on a smile. Subjective, unprovable, but there in abundance.

Yet that all seems to go out the window with regards to store clerks. Somehow, these underemployed working for a pittance all have the cojones to risk their self-respect, their jobs, the store getting sued, and getting their tails kicked in order to stare and harrass black patrons. These folks are not afraid to let their viscous racism out and into the open, images be damned! Hey, they will vote a handsome black guy in a suit for President, but if he comes into a store, they get all Bull Connor on him.

Never mind that a good portion of store clerks themselves are black.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM

4,419 posts, read 6,312,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
You walk into the store...and within 1-5 minutes here it comes...

'Your being watched and monitored...all suspicious activity on your part is being recorded...if you try anything 'scum bag'...you'll be arrested so fast that you won't have time to blink'...by the way...this is a recording'...

Lately, or even in the past...it seems shopping while black, is a threat to ones own mental sanity...

This post only applies to those who never steal, never intend on stealing, and who only want to enjoy their shopping experience and be appreciated as a custimor rather than a suspect...

And if your a black male, it's even worse...notice how always, within minutes of entering the store, here come the automated security speals??

And the sad thing is, is it don't matter if your pants are hanging down your butt, or if your dressed in a 3 piece suit...those in charge of such things, security, just seem to loose all control of rational thought, when a male of color walks into the store...they just think they know your intentions from the get go...and those intentions are to 'steal' something...

How do you deal with it? and How does it make you feel?

Do you ever call back to the store manager and express your outrage?
Or do you just absorb it?

It must really be infuriating when you are a law abiding citizen, and happen to be a member of a race who commits a disproportionate number of crimes. No one should be targeted because of their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies