Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 PM

53,609 posts, read 35,509,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The brochure looks like an advertisement for a "polling" business rather than a college... sigh... I guess education must not be paying them well.... probably because they lack any real students...
Yeah, community colleges don't exactly rake in the dough. I suppose you can't blame the 'scholars' who are employed there for branching out into handing down their lofty opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,236,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Make all the fun you want of the presidential scholars who took part in this survey, but it was a pretty big sampling of well respected experts.
Professors rank President Obama 15th best president - Emily Schultheis - POLITICO.com

About the searchers: About Us
....oh yeah,...the Siena has my vote.

They conducted the survey proior to July 1, 2010 (when the results were released),...so Obama had been in office less than eighteen months when the survey was done. Compiling the questions (weighted I'm sure),...collecting the data, and tabulating the results might take some time, so we really don't know at what point in the Obama fiasco the survey was taken,...but it's pretty certain it was during the "honeymoon" of the presidency of the Empty-Suit.

How much validity can be given to evaluating a President who has only served a little over a year of his term?

Not much.....

Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,608,741 times
Not much--I'll vote for none whatsoever.

Besides, his final ranking won't be determined until long after he leaves office since many of his polcieis are backdated.

When all is said and done, he'll be dead last once the implimentation of all of his polcies have demolished the US economy and sent the unemployment rate into the stratosphere, starting with the Detroit Three.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 26,004,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"A group of presidential scholars has ranked President Obama as the 15th best U.S. president of all time, a new survey shows, while his predecessor, President George W. Bush, is relegated to the bottom five.

Mr. Obama also has an advantage in the rankings over President Ronald Reagan, who came in 18th."

Scholars Rank Obama the 15th Best President - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Obama will move up the list before his 2nd term is over!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,365,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Obama will move up the list before his 2nd term is over!
If the same "scholars" do the ranking? Yes.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,379,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I see nothing in your link detailing a "pretty big sampling of scholars".
You don't think a survey of 238 scholars is a large sampling? I sure do. If you want to know more about how the survey was done, knock yourself out. Here's the contact information.

Quote:
The Siena College Research Institute (SRI) Survey of U.S. Presidents is based on responses from 238 presidential scholars, historians and political scientists that responded via mail or web to an invitation to participate. Respondents ranked each of 43 presidents on a scale of 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent) on each of twenty presidential attributes, abilities and accomplishments. Overall rankings were computed by assigning equal weight to each of those twenty categories. For additional information about the survey visitwww.siena.edu/sri/research or contact Professor Tom Kelly at 518-372-7890 or Dr. Douglas Lonnstrom at 518-783-2362.
News Detail

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,673,610 times
1. Still doesn't say anything about WHO are these "scholars".
2. Don't remember GW getting put in his place by a world leader in his own White House in front of the press the way Obama just did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Here is the results of the entire survey in this PDF file:

http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/h...20Category.pdf

It's funny how BADLY Bush Jr. did!

GWB numbers SUCKED right across the board!

Obama scored very highly in Imagination, Communication Skills, and Intelligence!

Bush scored almost DEAD LAST in Communication Skills and Intelligence, and was right near the bottom in practically every other category!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,030,768 times
Quote:
You don't think a survey of 238 scholars is a large sampling? I sure do. If you want to know more about how the survey was done, knock yourself out. Here's the contact information.

News Detail
No, I don't think a survey of 238 anonymous individuals that claim to be presidential scholars amounts to much.

There is no listing of who these "scholars" are. Nothing whatsoever describing their backgrounds or qualifications.

As I said to the OP, if this is the type of nonsensical drivel you find compelling it's no wonder you're impressed with this administration.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,673,610 times
Quote:

News Detail
Except that university professors are overwhelmingly liberal in their politics. This survey was started thirty years ago, a time when liberals held a majority of the universities.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,032,640 times
A funny thing is how right wingers jump to the conclusion that the scholars of Siena College are a bunch of liberals. Siena College is a CATHOLIC university run by the Franciscan Order and as such is under the supervision of the Pope and its curriculum must be consistant with the teachings of Rome.
The Catholic Church is a conservative organization and the current Pope is hardly my idea of a liberal but he does believe in the idea of Christian charity so I guess that makes him suspect in wingnut circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies