Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,904,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I haven't seen the IAEA say this is equivalent to Chernobyl. Do you have such evidence?
No I don't, I also said that it is suspected that one of the containment vessels has been breached but we don't know yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM

222 posts, read 584,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You're making a lot of statements of blame here...do you know for a fact that they were negligent?
Calvinist, it's not the Bible story, nothing is known for a fact.
But every schoolchild knew that earthquake and tsunami happens in Japan. So it is common sense to build seismic stable and tsunami resistant nuclear plant. That has not been done because somebody decided to save money. Who exactly I don't know.
Here is another proof:
Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) warned Japan in 1990 about the failure of the emergency electricity generators and subsequent failure of the cooling systems of plants in seismically very active regions. The NRC called this one of the most likely risks. The Japanese Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) cited this report in 2004. According to Jun Tateno, a former NISA scientist, Tepco did not react to these warnings and did not respond with any measures. Because of this, the extraordinary strength of the earthquake in March 2011 cannot be used as an excuse. [31]
Film maker Adam Curtis mentioned the risks of the type of boiling water reactors cooling systems such as those in Fukushima I in a series of documentaries in the BBC in 1992. [32] These risks were known since 1971. [33]

Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,187,272 times
Those workers have b&lls of brass for sure. A noble sacrifice for their country. Here, Democrats had to work hard to stop the Republican filibuster of the 911 First Responders Bill, remember?

Pure class those Republicans...

Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 PM

222 posts, read 584,373 times
Another failure is spent fuel rod storage. Basically it is located on 4th floor and because of cracks everywhere it constantly loose water. When it loose water it overheats, catch fire and radioactive smoke goes into atmosphere.
I don’t want to use word “stupid”.. but combination “4th floor, water, earthquake” asks for the 1-st floor.
Also I would like to add word “greedy”. Those spend fuel rods should be recycled. Apparently somebody saved money on recycling, waiting.. for what? For possibility to cheaply sell it or dump it or something, I don’t know. Other “money saving thing” is absence of separate storage facility. Why to store it in the same nuclear plant? It should be stored in separate building!
My suggestion is to make whoever saved money on it go and remove those spent rods from there. They can use fancy Japanese robots, or use own hands, or commit hara-kiri..
Article about it: Why Fukushima’s “spent” fuel rods will continue to catch fire

Why Fukushima's "spent" fuel rods will continue to catch fire | MyFDL

Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,814,330 times
Level 7: Fukushima nuclear disaster now on par with Chernobyl - World News - World - General - The Courier

Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,238,121 times
well, it certainly was NOT the workers giving their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You're making a lot of statements of blame here...do you know for a fact that they were negligent?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 PM

11,158 posts, read 29,468,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Another failure is spent fuel rod storage. Basically it is located on 4th floor and because of cracks everywhere it constantly loose water. When it loose water it overheats, catch fire and radioactive smoke goes into atmosphere.
I don’t want to use word “stupid”.. but combination “4th floor, water, earthquake” asks for the 1-st floor.
Also I would like to add word “greedy”. Those spend fuel rods should be recycled. Apparently somebody saved money on recycling, waiting.. for what? For possibility to cheaply sell it or dump it or something, I don’t know. Other “money saving thing” is absence of separate storage facility. Why to store it in the same nuclear plant? It should be stored in separate building!
My suggestion is to make whoever saved money on it go and remove those spent rods from there. They can use fancy Japanese robots, or use own hands, or commit hara-kiri..
Article about it: Why Fukushima’s “spent” fuel rods will continue to catch fire

Why Fukushima's "spent" fuel rods will continue to catch fire | MyFDL
because it is a 40 year old plant and and in the 1960's and 1970's they had no idea where to store the waste. so the closer to the reactor the better they thought. and we also did the same with our spent fuel rods the same way back then too and older gen 2 reactors don't come close to gen3++ and PU and DU are 2 diffrent fuel sources.
Canada – On 16 March 2011, five days after the Fukushima I nuclear incident began, it was found that the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station in Pickering, Ontario, situated east of Toronto,[SIZE=3][56][/SIZE] was leaking demineralized water into Lake Ontario.[SIZE=3]][/SIZE] While the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission declared that the leak, caused by a pump seal failure, did not pose any threat to human health, many Canadians questioned the safety of nuclear power plants in Canada. Gordon Edwards, Canadian physicist and founder of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility, claimed that the leak "shows the potential for more significant nuclear contamination of Lake Ontario [compared to that of Japan's disaster]". He added that the source of the Pickering plant's leak was the same as that of the incident at Fukushima I and that the leak must not be taken lightly.

whoops seems north america has issues too

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-12-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,055,942 times
Well, one can argue all day long as to whether they decided to die for their country, but the truth is they are a "we" culture and not a "me" culture like the US. I suspect this has more to do with things than anything else.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,666,978 times
I worked in a nuclear plant for a few years. We all had are specific duties to perform in case of an emegency. We were all asked at a safety meeting. "What will you be doing when we go to class 4 power"? That's a huge bank of batteries that will supply colling for 5 minutes befrore the meltdown starts. I got into huge trouble when I replied, "I'll be heading down that road at 100 mph because I'm not going down with this ship".

I don't consider myself a coward but on the other hand I didn't sign up to lay my life down as a decontam tech.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM

442 posts, read 556,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, one can argue all day long as to whether they decided to die for their country, but the truth is they are a "we" culture and not a "me" culture like the US. I suspect this has more to do with things than anything else.
You are right on the money. This is pretty much all I ever say on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies