Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,929,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How about answering the question with an answer instead of with another question? Oh, you can't, that's okay.
If you expect to see stats we would also like to see them.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I've lived in several cities and towns in this country as a regular renter and the landlords have always requested checks.
If you were a poor person who could not pay in cash, you would figure out how to find a place that takes something other than checks if you did not have enough money to have a checking account and thus pay by check. Where there's a will, there's a way, are you familiar with that phrase? Omigosh this is really giving me a headache now. You people are so dense.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What do you think I'm talking about?
If I knew, do you think I would have posted that? NO.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:29 PM

446 posts, read 651,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I know you may hate this:

But it's still a free country.

Even if you are poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I think its very telling indeed how the cons assume that if rich people come into money they're going to do responsible stuff with it like creating jobs and such but when poor people come into money they're going to spend it all on drugs and booze
That's because many of them assume that all poor are the same after they have met like 5 of us. Yes, there are bad elements (as with ANY group), but most poor are just honest people down on their luck. Their vitriol simply comes from middle- and upper-class hatred of the poor, as they assume that *anyone* can move up the class ladder easy-peasy (which, needless to say, is a big load of dog doo). I am poor myself, and get gov't assistance, and guess what? I'm a college student! Never used drugs, never drank, never smoked... and never plan to. Better call Ripley's!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,950,613 times
Quote:
If I knew, do you think I would have posted that? NO.
No. You would have avoided that anyway.

Quote:
Even if you can't buy a bus pass with a debit card, there is always walking and biking, that you cannot have a nasty answer for.
If you can read and comprehend, and not ignore my posts, you would have learned the problems with your relentless assumptions. Go back and you just might see my post on that subject.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Do you have stats for this?

The main problem in poverty is that the gov't allows it to continue with all these handouts. Waiting list for section 8? Two more years of being poor, then you can have it, and while you're on it, you will have to continue being poor!
This addresses drug abuse and welfare.

NIAAA Researchers Estimate Alcohol and Drug Use, Abuse, and Dependence Among Welfare Recipients (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/NewsEvents/NewsReleases/welfare.htm - broken link)

This is an example of a program to help those on section 8 become self-sufficient.

Oakland Housing Authority Section 8
The Family Self-Sufficiency Program: HUD's Best Kept Secret for Promoting Employment and Asset Growth -- 4/12/01

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
If you expect to see stats we would also like to see them.
As Einstein would say, you're deflecting.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No. You would have avoided that anyway.

If you can read and comprehend, and not ignore my posts, you would have learned the problems with your relentless assumptions. Go back and you just might see my post on that subject.
There's nothing to avoid, and again, I don't know what you're referring to. Are we reading the same thread?

Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have read every single post on here. If you say you have already answered all the questions posed to you, how about some links to your responses?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
And so are you. However, I have answered the questions directly and asked you to apply the same logic you expect from others, that is the opposite of deflection.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,950,613 times
Quote:
Please try not to speak for others. Besides, you didn’t ask Gobrien for stats, he is asking you (and I did too) to understand how you draw the conclusions that you do.
Quote:
There's nothing to avoid, and again, I don't know what you're referring to. Are we reading the same thread?
Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have read every single post on here. If you say you have already answered all the questions posed to you, how about some links to your responses?
Yes, same thread. The myth and assumptions you maintain about knowing every aspect of others’ life have led you to discount any counter argument. And it is also the premise of the one question you’ve been running around with. The answer to that is right here, and has been provided before: the myth and assumptions held by you, and substantiated by a personal experience I mentioned earlier in the thread when I was responding to meaningful posts.

So, now may be a good time for you to answer to at least one of my questions? Have you ever taken more than $20 from an ATM (much less in a month)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.