Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 AM

570 posts, read 886,567 times

Advertisements

Anyone who thinks the economy will be better and the standard of living will rise b.c college degrees increase from say 20% of the population in 1995 to 35% of the population in 2005.....

OBVIOUSLY

never took an economics course. Or really learned how incentives or supply and demand work.

What's taught day one...

as the quantity of something rises , the VALUE DECREASES

That is why liberals are so mistaken when they want Universal College for all!!!!!!!!!! It won't make a sh** of difference , just take another 4 years away from people's lives if they forced people to go and raised the adult age to 22.

This isn't the whole reason though for our economy sinking, but only a small component of it. The main reason has to do with losing manufacturing jobs and losing freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 AM

4,592 posts, read 9,266,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Agree. A degree in ancient Greek studies w/ a minor in English Lit. doesn't translate well to anything outside of historical societies and antiquities.
An accounting degree however, can be applied in multiple applications/uses.
And that is why I'm majoring in Accounting

Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,011,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
And that is why I'm majoring in Accounting
At one time, a degree in accounting or law would allow you to be a candidate for the FBI. Don't know if that's still true. But, these days, accounting is much the same as a Business Major. A four-year degree will get you into the secretarial pool. It will take a master's or better. Computer programming, on the other hand, will be very highly in demand for decades to come. Robotics is branching out and will continue to do so. What's left for a high school education? Even fast food will be served by 4-year degrees. (For that matter, that's going on now.)

In the future, engineering positions will be active, computer technology, programming (All the robots and automated systems in industry must be programmed to perform their functions or they can not take the jobs away from humans.), medical fields, teaching, law, and law enforcement will be around for a long time. For those with only a high school diploma, you might try the transportation industry. They always need drivers, but for that, you MUST have a good record. No drugs, no DUIs, no felonies, etc.

And, with all the best education, in all the right fields, it looks like... If your credit rating is too low, you'll still be out in the cold.

At one time, a college degree actually meant something. Today, not so much, and in the future, you'll either have a masters, phd, or have a good hamburger recipe if you're not lined up to intercept the right field. As computer software evolves, accounting may be one of the fields that goes by the wayside. I have software on my own computer that allows me to do a computer model of a circuit I'm designing, to see if it will do what is required or not, before I pick up even one resistor. That means one electronic technician is out of work.

Along with the engineering and programming fields, technical writers will also be needed to put together the manuals for all the new equipment and software to run them.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,601,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
At one time, a college degree actually meant something. Today, not so much, and in the future, you'll either have a masters, phd, or have a good hamburger recipe if you're not lined up to intercept the right field. As computer software evolves, accounting may be one of the fields that goes by the wayside. I have software on my own computer that allows me to do a computer model of a circuit I'm designing, to see if it will do what is required or not, before I pick up even one resistor. That means one electronic technician is out of work.
I tend to agree with what you posted, although it has been my experience that there are a lot of what I call "academic bigots." Those people who irrationally believe you cannot do the job without some kind of college degree. The Human Resources departments of many major businesses are loaded with academic bigots who flat out refuse to hire anyone without a college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies