Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,233,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Okay.

Here is the full faith and credit clause from the US Constitution:

A state issued "short form" birth certificate is a "public record."

A state cannot demand a different certificate from the one that another state chooses to issue.

If Arizona wants a birth certificate, and Hawaii issues a COLB, then Arizona must accept that COLB as legal proof of the information it contains.
Thanks.
Does the full faith section refer to judicial proceeding and accepting records or stautory?
The reason i ask the court interperations I have read on it deal with

According to the Supreme Court, there is a difference between the credit owed to laws (i.e. legislative measures and common law) as compared to the credit owed to judgments.[1] Judgments are generally entitled to greater respect than laws, in other states.[2] At present, it is widely agreed that this Clause of the Constitution has little impact on a court's choice of law decision,[3] although this Clause of the Constitution was once interpreted differently.[4] Federal statutory law provides that:
Such Acts, records and judicial proceedings or copies thereof, so authenticated, shall have the same full faith and credit in every court within the US and its Territories and Possessions as they have by law or usage in the courts of such State, Territory or Possession from which they are taken.[5]

Full Faith and Credit Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I interpret this to mean that judgments which is the birth certificate a judgment? to have greater respect than these laws being made by the states

Would the USOC read the birth ceritficate as a record of judgment?
Please understand I ma not arguing at this point either side of the issue just trying to graps it first

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 AM

26,579 posts, read 14,474,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I'm not interested in the discussion of whose birth certificate says what.
I am interested in your opinion of how the full faith and credit clause applies here
easily.

all states must accept and respect documents from other states as fact if they meet a federal standard.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
easily.

all states must accept and respect documents from other states as fact if they meet a federal standard.
what do you think federal standard means as it applied to these state laws

Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
what do you think federal standard means as it applied to these state laws
eligibility requirements for POTUS.

what were you thinking of ?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,199,549 times
If he acted more like a mainstream American , there wouldn't be a problem . Many people think he is purposely hurting the country.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
eligibility requirements for POTUS.

what were you thinking of ?
the stat e laws deal with the eligibility that are being proposed

Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
If he acted more like a mainstream American , there wouldn't be a problem .
which presidents acted like "mainstream americans" ?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,199,549 times
Quote:
which presidents acted like "mainstream americans" ?
The cowboy
The womanizer
The peanut farmer
The actor

Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,094,006 times
Quote:
Thanks.
Does the full faith section refer to judicial proceeding and accepting records or stautory?
I'm not sure what you are asking there. It's not necessarily an either/or issue... though I admit that the way you phrase the question does not give me confidence you are asking an either/or question. I am similarly confused by this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet
I interpret this to mean that judgments which is the birth certificate a judgment? to have greater respect than these laws being made by the states
Question marks in the middle of sentences leave a lot to be desired when it comes to clarity. So if I am completely misinterpreting you, let me know.

The full faith and credit clause does not require one state to change its own laws to satisfy the conflicting laws of another state. That is the "statutory" issue at play.

But it does require one state to accept 1) the legal decisions of another state as binding on the case decided, and 2) the records of other states as full evidence of the details to which they attest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet
Would the USOC read the birth ceritficate as a record of judgment?
The US Olympic Committee? No idea.

But for any US court, the birth certificate would be (as it notes on the certificate itself) prima facie evidence of the details to which it attests.

In the case of President Obama's (or any other Hawaiian's) birth certificate, place and date of birth are the comprehensive details relevant to his eligibility for the presidency. And as such, it perfectly meets the needs for establishing legal proof of those details.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,094,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
If he acted more like a mainstream American , there wouldn't be a problem . Many people think he is purposely hurting the country.
Then they should not vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies