Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,452,213 times

Advertisements

Cold hearted and callous = GWB.
Never again, if we're lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:30 PM

12,436 posts, read 12,034,225 times
We already had one. Dick Cheney. Hell, he doesn't even have a real heart.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,115,441 times
Interesting that defense spending seems to be the one people want to gut...even up to 80%. For all of those that want to see defense spending cut to these levels, do you know how it spent now? Go ahead and throw some facts out to support your positions.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:57 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,573,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Interesting that defense spending seems to be the one people want to gut...even up to 80%. For all of those that want to see defense spending cut to these levels, do you know how it spent now? Go ahead and throw some facts out to support your positions.
Operating bases on foreign soil. 2,000,000 dollars a day in Afghanistan right now. A B-2 cost somewhere over 2 billion dollars per plane, on something that will never be used for its intent. Spending billions of dollars on the F22 when its now already being scrapped for the F35 and armed UAV's.

Research and development of new and innovative ways to kill people.

I'm all for cyber security, as thats the future, while maintaining a 50% advantage in aerial combat situations. But beyond that, our defense spending really needs to be cut.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,196,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A cold-hearted, callous President is what we need if we are to ever get this economy fixed and our national debt eliminated.

One who will say:

- The taxpayers don't care about your pet project, Senator, and neither do I.

- I sympathize with your terminally sick father, but life is not fair. Taxpayers can't afford to keep him alive for the next 12 months just to make you happy.

- I understand that you want to flee your country for a better life in America. But taxpayers cannot afford your burden.

- I understand, Mr. Businiess, that your company is in trouble. But taxpayers are not to fault for your bad business decisions.

- I understand, Cabinet Secretary, that you'd like to give your staff across the board raises. Taxpayers are not concerned, and neither am I.

- I understand, Governor, that your state has degenerated into a Nanny State. I will not sign any legislation that provides you a bailout. Cut government and cut services. That's my advice to you.

Yes, its time to make this nation suffer a bit of hardship to get back to our roots and our principals.

9% Unemployment should not be enough to put a nation on its knees economically. Period. What that means is that our government has failed us by epic proportions.
Will we get out of this ditch? No, I don't think we will. We've devolved into a Welfare Nation, and its irreversible.

But you can be sure that i'll vote for the first cold-hearted, callous Presidential candidate that is willing to give it a try, that's for sure.

Christie in 2012!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Operating bases on foreign soil. 2,000,000 dollars a day in Afghanistan right now. A B-2 cost somewhere over 2 billion dollars per plane, on something that will never be used for its intent. Spending billions of dollars on the F22 when its now already being scrapped for the F35 and armed UAV's.

Research and development of new and innovative ways to kill people.

I'm all for cyber security, as thats the future, while maintaining a 50% advantage in aerial combat situations. But beyond that, our defense spending really needs to be cut.
That funding for Afghanistan isn't in the defense budget, it's under the seperate line item for the wars.

No new B-2s since '97. Modernized the radar in '08. Again, not an impact on current defense spending.

Has the F35 lived up to performance yet? I don't think so but aircraft is not expertise and I am sure another that has more expertise would know the exact performance standards. Of note, the F35 ran over budget by 50%. I like a suggested idea of making these contractors hold to cost and incur penalties for not meeting deadlines and costs.

Want to know the worst problem with the defense budget? Defense contractors. They are making oodles of money from our gov't and these consistent and common cost overruns are an enormous issue. Fix that and you would be amazed at how we can still maintain a very strong defense with a lot less money.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,082,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A cold-hearted, callous President is what we need if we are to ever get this economy fixed and our national debt eliminated.

One who will say:

- The taxpayers don't care about your pet project, Senator, and neither do I.

- I sympathize with your terminally sick father, but life is not fair. Taxpayers can't afford to keep him alive for the next 12 months just to make you happy.

- I understand that you want to flee your country for a better life in America. But taxpayers cannot afford your burden.

- I understand, Mr. Businiess, that your company is in trouble. But taxpayers are not to fault for your bad business decisions.

- I understand, Cabinet Secretary, that you'd like to give your staff across the board raises. Taxpayers are not concerned, and neither am I.

- I understand, Governor, that your state has degenerated into a Nanny State. I will not sign any legislation that provides you a bailout. Cut government and cut services. That's my advice to you.

Yes, its time to make this nation suffer a bit of hardship to get back to our roots and our principals.

9% Unemployment should not be enough to put a nation on its knees economically. Period. What that means is that our government has failed us by epic proportions.
Will we get out of this ditch? No, I don't think we will. We've devolved into a Welfare Nation, and its irreversible.

But you can be sure that i'll vote for the first cold-hearted, callous Presidential candidate that is willing to give it a try, that's for sure.
I'll do it! I'm cold-hearted, mean and callous and I don't care what anyone thinks of me! (and I need a job)

Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,573,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That funding for Afghanistan isn't in the defense budget, it's under the seperate line item for the wars.

No new B-2s since '97. Modernized the radar in '08. Again, not an impact on current defense spending.

Has the F35 lived up to performance yet? I don't think so but aircraft is not expertise and I am sure another that has more expertise would know the exact performance standards. Of note, the F35 ran over budget by 50%. I like a suggested idea of making these contractors hold to cost and incur penalties for not meeting deadlines and costs.

Want to know the worst problem with the defense budget? Defense contractors. They are making oodles of money from our gov't and these consistent and common cost overruns are an enormous issue. Fix that and you would be amazed at how we can still maintain a very strong defense with a lot less money.
I was just offering things that we've wasted money on. The F35 hasn't even reached its arrival dates down here yet. I've seen three in test flights, and we're supposed to have a lot more.

I agree with the problem being defense contractors, but the problem is that many of the generals and politicians get huge kick backs from the defense contractors, or they get jobs with them when they retire from duty.

The system is corrupt. I'm not saying that I know the exact details on everything, but I know that spending 4 times more than the entire rest of the world combined, especially when half of the world are our allies, on military spending is just stupid.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:25 PM

829 posts, read 2,972,313 times
To sum it up we need someone who believes in individual responsibility.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I was just offering things that we've wasted money on. The F35 hasn't even reached its arrival dates down here yet. I've seen three in test flights, and we're supposed to have a lot more.

I agree with the problem being defense contractors, but the problem is that many of the generals and politicians get huge kick backs from the defense contractors, or they get jobs with them when they retire from duty.

The system is corrupt. I'm not saying that I know the exact details on everything, but I know that spending 4 times more than the entire rest of the world combined, especially when half of the world are our allies, on military spending is just stupid.
And there you have it (my bolding for emphasis), the issue is right there. Defense appropriations has specific programs that it calls out in the budget, as recommended by the DoD. Some make it and some do not. Then there is discretionary spending, OMN, RTD&E, personnel, facilities, and a few others. Anyway, that discretionary spending can be quite the lucrative amount of dollars for a three or four star to set themselves up with a VP position after retirement. Same with RTD&E. Specific program dollars receive a bit more scrutiny but again, look to who is making those budget recommendations.

Currently, there is a rather lame ban on working with those defense contractors for one year after military or federal service. Unfortunately, it has more holes in it than swiss cheese. I'm no fan of Gates for other reasons, but one thing that he is doing is cutting down on flag level and SES level positions. It's a bloated and top heavy organization that could use some trimming. He is also cutting defense contractors 10% every year for the next three years. Could be more but not without a change in the defense acquisition process.

The funding decisions are made by staff officers that have been so far removed from the operational military, it boggles the mind why some decisions are made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies