Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,966,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Them there cats are purdy darn dangerous, lucky it didn’t kill someone.
LOL a cat- omg we need a roflmao smiley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,966,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I actually agree with your second sentence. I knew full well my original post would touch some kind of PETA third-rail, leading to this rep: You, sir, are an idiot. Or white trash. You hope a living animal dies a slow death because your dog was being a Dumb***? Cats don't just randomly attack dogs. I hope your dog dies a slow death by some horrible way.

The fetishization of animals, dogs and cats in particular, has reached ridiculous proportions. My town doesn't have any toy stores left, yet there are several stores selling all manner of goodies for pets, including expensive foods, toys, and all sorts of objects designed to infantilize our pets.

So people have gotten downright wacko about animals. But for those of you who didn't like my comment about cats, how would you feel if your neighbor's German Shepard or Rottweiler came charging into your backyard and brutally ripped a young rabbit apart. Then took a dump in your yard and peed all over your basil.

You'd be calling the cops and looking for a baseball bat, that's what you would do. So how come so many people think it's perfectly okay to let their cats out to roam around? They say it's natural, that's what cats do, cats are nocturnal and they need to get out.

Sometimes I hate gardening in my yard. I'm always sure to find dead birds and chipmunks who obviously died slowly and horribly, with hundreds of little puncture wounds all over their bodies where the cats played with them. And you should see what a cat does to a baby rabbit.

I have no use for this nonsense. We are a gun-free house, so I make sure to keep a nice pile of rocks nearby for when the neighbors kitty cats come a-visiting. I'm a damn good aim, too.
dude its a freakin cat its not going to kill a pitbull or a person. for the rest of your post cats hunt thats what they do. i think we get your a cat hater

Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,341,323 times
Was the cat rabid? The article said the woman was ticketed for not having hte cat vaccinated. If the cat had rabies then it was a threat to the dog and the human.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,380,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
dude its a freakin cat its not going to kill a pitbull or a person. for the rest of your post cats hunt thats what they do. i think we get your a cat hater
Yes the instinct is to hunt. However that doesn't mean that because you own a cat that all your neighbors should be forced to deal with it. I don't make my neighbors deal with my dog. Its a lab. They hunt. Thats what they do to.
What is it with some cat owners that they think its part of owning a cat to inflict their choice on everyone around them?
The gun owner is a certifiable whack job. No question about it. The cat owner ? If they really cared about thier pet they would have kept it under control on their own property.
The cat was failed by its owner.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,580,947 times
If your going to have Pets Cats and Dogs, be responsible pet owners, and these stupid inhumane acts would not need to happen.

I am sorry, but there are more people who own dogs, that do not contain them, i see dogs loose all over the place, and no collars some of the time.

No excuse still for this to happen.

Contain your animals people. A gun did not have to be used. A hose directly at the cat, and that cat is history. Throwing a rock close to the cat, and it is gone. Excuses for a cowardly act.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,253,598 times
If only Siegfried had acted as fast...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,630,712 times
The bottom line here is that both owners were irresponsible in this situation, and a cat is now dead because of it. I agree that as pet owners we need to contain our animals in order to protect them as well as to be considerate of those around us. The indoor/outdoor debate is one which always ends up heated and usually gets closed on the cat forum...stories like this one illustrate how dangerous it is to let them roam in today's world, especially in environments where neighbors are close, dogs are loose, and cars are around.

Dockside, I am truly sorry about your dog, but your hatred of cats is twisted. You hate the entire species because of one isolated incident...not all cats would have done what your neighbor's cat did. Cats' personalities are are varied and unique as our own, some cats enjoy the company of canines...mine get along wonderfully with my dogs, they even nap together.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,903,062 times
I don't condone the shooting,but this is typical for cat owners. Letting their cats roam off their property.

Keep your pets on your property and there shouldn't be any problems. If someone let their dogs out to roam free,then whatever happens would be their problem,just like this irresponsible cat owner.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,430,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Dockside, I am truly sorry about your dog, but your hatred of cats is twisted. You hate the entire species because of one isolated incident...not all cats would have done what your neighbor's cat did.
You are both wrong. I like cats and I've owned several over the years. But I now live in a house with a beautiful backyard filled with wildlife and cats are merciless hunters. All cats.

And people seem to think it is perfectly okay to let their killing machines loose in my backyard, because cats hunt thats what they do.

Dogs hunt too, sometimes they hunt cats. How would you feel about my dog hunting your cat in your backyard? How would you like the excuse - dogs hunt, that's what they do?

This is getting way off the original thread, and I'm not going to post on this anymore. But cat lovers, don't fret, I would never shoot a cat.

Last edited by Dockside; 11-23-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,630,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I don't condone the shooting,but this is typical for cat owners. Letting their cats roam off their property.

Keep your pets on your property and there shouldn't be any problems. If someone let their dogs out to roam free,then whatever happens would be their problem,just like this irresponsible cat owner.
I agree...I absolutely don't condone allowing cats to roam outside, it's not safe for them in most environments, and it's inconsiderate to those around you.

I love cats, but I don't want stray cats hanging out in my yard and pooping/peeing because my yard is for my dogs and myself to enjoy, along with the many birds we love to hear and watch. If my dogs eat cat poop, they could get sick, get parasites or worms, and I already bathe them every other week so don't want to have to wash cat poo off them if they decide to roll around in it (dogs tend to love the smell of cat poo for some reason) in addition to the regular grooming maintenance they receive, because I don't want their coats getting too dry, either...it makes them uncomfortable and itchy.

The die-hard "cats are meant to be outside" people out there fail to understand that this world is very different now than it was in the days before chemical pesticides, heavy traffic, and all the other dangers of modern, industrialized society. The image of a cat lounging in a tree or running through a meadow might be pretty, but the reality is much different unless you live in the country and have acres around you that have NOT been plagued with chemicals, cars, and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies