Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 AM

955 posts, read 2,159,245 times

Advertisements

It's nearing the one year Christmas passing of healthcare legislation and let's see what's happening on the bill meant to drive down health care costs. From today's NYT article:

"When Congress passed the health care law, it envisioned doctors and hospitals joining forces, coordinating care and holding down costs, with the prospect of earning government bonuses for controlling costs.

Now, eight months into the new law there is a growing frenzy of mergers involving hospitals, clinics and doctor groups eager to share costs and savings, and cash in on the incentives.

Consumer advocates fear that the health care law could worsen some of the very problems it was meant to solve — by reducing competition, driving up costs and creating incentives for doctors and hospitals to stint on care, in order to retain their cost-saving bonuses."

I have heard panels of insurance brokers talk of 35 to 40 percent increases on group plans to small businesses. My aging parents tell me that visits to their doctors result in their being told "Don't worry about it. We don't have to do any further testing. Come back in six months". Is it in their best interests, or are doctors worried about their Medicare reductions and would rather not incurr the added cvosts of the tests and not be reimbursed?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/he...health.html?hp

Elections and legislation have consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,040,134 times
Well, in South Carolina, insurers stopped writing new policies for any children, whether covered under their parent's policy or a child only one. I know that at least two insurers have relented on that stance for only policies with parents included since then but not all.

As I understand, it was the pre-existing conditions inclusion portion the insurers used as a reason. With the way the law was written, if insurance companies simply did not provide that policy at all (e.g. no children covered at all), then they are still following the letter of the law.

Insurers stop adding kid policies

S.C. insurers demand clarification

Insurers to add kids to policies

Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
It's nearing the one year Christmas passing of healthcare legislation and let's see what's happening on the bill meant to drive down health care costs. From today's NYT article:

"When Congress passed the health care law, it envisioned doctors and hospitals joining forces, coordinating care and holding down costs, with the prospect of earning government bonuses for controlling costs.

Now, eight months into the new law there is a growing frenzy of mergers involving hospitals, clinics and doctor groups eager to share costs and savings, and cash in on the incentives.

Consumer advocates fear that the health care law could worsen some of the very problems it was meant to solve — by reducing competition, driving up costs and creating incentives for doctors and hospitals to stint on care, in order to retain their cost-saving bonuses."

I have heard panels of insurance brokers talk of 35 to 40 percent increases on group plans to small businesses. My aging parents tell me that visits to their doctors result in their being told "Don't worry about it. We don't have to do any further testing. Come back in six months". Is it in their best interests, or are doctors worried about their Medicare reductions and would rather not incurr the added cvosts of the tests and not be reimbursed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, in South Carolina, insurers stopped writing new policies for any children, whether covered under their parent's policy or a child only one. I know that at least two insurers have relented on that stance for only policies with parents included since then but not all.

As I understand, it was the pre-existing conditions inclusion portion the insurers used as a reason. With the way the law was written, if insurance companies simply did not provide that policy at all (e.g. no children covered at all), then they are still following the letter of the law.

Both prime example of how monsterous this abomination of a law is. The WH attempted to scare people into supporting it while also at the same time claiming it would solve all problems from inflation to unemployment. Point in fact, they lied and are now being exposed as the power mad liars that they are.

Remember, the bill had to pass immediately or all manner of bad/evil things would happen! No time to read it or debate it, just pass it!

How has that worked out?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

What a bunch of jerks! How are employers supposed to provide insurance for their employers with those kinds of stunts going on?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,345,028 times
And the bill had explosive results in the mid-term elections and polarized this country in ways I haven't seen since the Vietnam Way. This president and Democratic congress have been a disaster.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Both prime example of how monsterous this abomination of a law is. The WH attempted to scare people into supporting it while also at the same time claiming it would solve all problems from inflation to unemployment. Point in fact, they lied and are now being exposed as the power mad liars that they are.

Remember, the bill had to pass immediately or all manner of bad/evil things would happen! No time to read it or debate it, just pass it!

How has that worked out?
Yeah, I loved that. It was like a used car salesman, hurry or someone else is gonna scoop this one up! No time to think just sign the papers and we'll talk about it later. I'm amazed that didn't throw up a huge red flag.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Do read these articles:

Health Care May Not Want Itself Repealed : NPR

Why Health-Care Reform Will Survive - Newsweek

Don't be duped by the insurance companies.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 AM

272 posts, read 295,952 times
For the first time in over 30 years my health care insurance went down. Woo Hoo it is working is some places or I actually have an insurance company who looks out for their customers.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
For the first time in over 30 years my health care insurance went down. Woo Hoo it is working is some places or I actually have an insurance company who looks out for their customers.

Probably the latter. This idiotic bill does not come into effect until 2014. Any up until then is speculation on the bill, much as the obamatrons want to claim it as victory.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,993,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post

Your post is confusing. You highlight the fact they are lowering costs by cutting administrative overhead, and apparently rationing patient care. Then throw in a rumor heard by yourself that rates are going to rise?. Are rates rising because of this bill or because the bill doesn't do far enough? In fact the right wing faction in Congress made it apparent they would not stand for any sacrifice on the part of industry to lower costs. That's why the bill was so ineffective. But it did nothing to make costs rise in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies