Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
When its being done due to a lack of choice, its not positive.. Do you really think its "quality" time? Parents are out working 2-3 jobs while the college educated kids sit at home and play Playstation all day because there is nothing else to do and they have no money to go out.. Yeah, good trend.. Whats next?

yeah, they CHOOSE to either move home, or live in the streets because they cant find a job to suppor themself. The joke is you thinking that is positive.
My response to that is.....sometimes the thing you don't want to do is the thing that's actually best for you. It's kinda like eating broccoli---a lot of people don't like it, but it's a very nutritious veggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
How is this supposed to be good?
It's good because:

--It prepares you for the reality that life is not always fun, like we're told in the movies & TV

--It teaches you how to live with less and with realistic expectations. That's a big part of the reason we're in this recession---people tried to borrow to live a lifestyle they could not afford. That kind of thinking has been going on for about 30 years in America. Hopefully, the recession will make young people like yourself realize how bad an idea it is to borrow excessively.

--It probably puts a damper on casual sex and drug use for some--which are other unhealthy behaviors that are best avoided.

--In short, it's good for you because hard times tend to build character and discipline. Those are things most of us don't enjoy aquiring...but we end up liking the results of having those personal qualities down the road.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What do you call it when the kid never leaves home for college in the first place? He just commutes! LOL
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. For most, it would be a great money saver and keep the student loan debt down.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What do you call it when the kid never leaves home for college in the first place? He just commutes! LOL
The commutator of two group elements A and B is A B A-1 B-1, and two elements A and B are said to commute when their commutator is the identity element.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,462,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
So college graduates should be mocked, not applauded for their achievements, and even more so because they choose to be with family afterwords? What a joke of a thread.
One more reason to hate on another group of people, in other words business as usual for here.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
So college graduates should be mocked, not applauded for their achievements, and even more so because they choose to be with family afterwords? What a joke of a thread.
Well, they seem to be all dressed up with no place to go.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The only job I could find was 1000 miles away and while the pay is certainly better than most people coming out of undergrad (plus around $20,000 a year in benefits such as a free MBA), I can barely afford heat. It is hitting the low 40s every night and my roommates (22 and 26) and I (22) are not going to be able to turn on our heat until it hits below freezing. They are siblings and their mother subsidizes some of their bills and gives them food. My parents can't afford to help me one bit.

Just because I have a decent job doesn't mean I'll be supporting the economy any time soon. I can't afford to barely put anything into my emergency fund, much less save for a house (and in New England, I probably will be close to 50 before I can even think about it) or buy a car. I'm walking 5 miles round trip daily to get to and from work and wearing clothes that are falling off of me because I can't afford to buy anything else.
I pretty much despise the Boomer generation, which inherited a pristine country and ripped it to shreds, for criticizing our generation for not being successful... Yeah, Generation Y is just "unmotivated" and that's why we can't get jobs. It has nothing to do with your generation sapping our country dry. I know I'd work a 60 hour week for a $30,000/yr full-time job, but nobody will hire me.

We didn't have the advantages you guys had. Seriously, get over yourselves already.

When the Boomers no longer control the media, they will cease being considered the awesome generation they currently are. They are like locusts pretty much.

I paid my own way through college and now I can't afford to get my own place because there's no jobs. I have a four year degree and I'm working at a gas station. Thanks for nothing "awesome" boomers.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
It's not by choice.

They are forced to move home because they graduated in Obama's economy.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 PM

357 posts, read 727,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's good because:

--It prepares you for the reality that life is not always fun, like we're told in the movies & TV

--It teaches you how to live with less and with realistic expectations. That's a big part of the reason we're in this recession---people tried to borrow to live a lifestyle they could not afford. That kind of thinking has been going on for about 30 years in America. Hopefully, the recession will make young people like yourself realize how bad an idea it is to borrow excessively.

--It probably puts a damper on casual sex and drug use for some--which are other unhealthy behaviors that are best avoided.

--In short, it's good for you because hard times tend to build character and discipline. Those are things most of us don't enjoy aquiring...but we end up liking the results of having those personal qualities down the road.
Thank you, sir. As one of the 85%, I like to take the time to look at the situation we're in, and the fact that lessons can be learned from any situation.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:27 PM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
At least we're starting to look more like Europe in some ways, that is in the tradition of austerity and consolidating households.

Boomerang kids: 85% of college graduates must move back home - Oct. 14, 2010
I'll take the chance at being ignorant and say economics is a big reason why this happens in any country. This isn't a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies