Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,569,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I used to care cause I'm gay and used to feel the same way, but I no longer do. In the end it's about what people mean. I know lots of people who are totally okay with gay folks and use it. I know gay people that use "gay" pejoratively.

Let's forget about words and focus on the real issue: homophobia. Censorship just makes people get defensive.
I'm gay also...it really does not bother me at all.....unless meant in a disrespectful or nasty fashion.......usually I think no harm is intended; but if I take offense to how it is used...I'm quick to set people "straight" about it. .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-20-2010 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
gay NEEDS to be used as it was when first coined--and that means happy,carefree and DOES NOT apply to the lg community exclusively as that community would like to think---i am for using the word as it was ORIGINALLY coined and no other reason

Listen lady...we got "dibs"........ROFL.....Words and meanings change over time....get with the program. Also good for you...use the word as you please...I don't think any of us would lose any sleep over it.

But I just think personally that gay/straight have a nicer sound than homosexual/heterosexual....plus less syllables. .

Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,488,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm gay also...it really does not bother me at all.....unless meant in a disrespectful or nasty fashion.......usually I think no harm is intended but if I take offense to how it is used...I'm quick to set people "straight" about it. .
Same, and in that case, it's really more about the homophobic attitude behind the usage than the word itself.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,488,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Listen lady...we got "dibs"........ROFL.....Words and meanings change over time....get with the program. Also good for you...use the word as you please...I don't think any of us would lose any sleep over it.

But I just think personally that gay/straight have a nicer sound than homosexual/heterosexual....plus less syllables. .
The homersecshurals...they're taking over our language! Oh noes!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM

516 posts, read 377,008 times
This thread is soooo gay.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,725,787 times
I think the phrase, "That's gay" has become passe'. Educated people frown on it, including the smarter ones among the younger generation. It's a lower-class phraseology at this point.

Context is everything, but if you don't understand why using "gay" as a pejorative is insensitive or crude when you're in mixed company, then you're probably not very bright - or maybe you don't care if other people think of you as insensitive or crude.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 09-20-2010 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,725,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, if you're going to get upset about 'gay' being used in a different manner than meaning 'homosexual', shouldn't you be annoyed that the meaning of the word was previously changed from 'happy' to 'homosexual'?
Quote:
gay NEEDS to be used as it was when first coined--and that means happy,carefree and DOES NOT apply to the lg community exclusively as that community would like to think---i am for using the word as it was ORIGINALLY coined and no other reason
How about the word "f@ggot"? Do you use it as it was originally intended or do you use it in the way that it was changed by anti-gay heterosexuals? Just wondering how traditional and consistent you are.

Those who insist that "gay" still primarily means "happy" are not living in the modern world.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,382,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How about the word "f@ggot"? Do you use it as it was originally intended or do you use it in the way that it was changed by anti-gay heterosexuals?

Just wondering how traditional and consistent you are.
No one uses f@ggots anymore. Most folks light their firecrackers with punks.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,148,092 times
Quote:
When homosexuals got together in England in the early part of the 20th century, they began to restrict their conservations to topics that made them happy. They did this so they wouldn't have to dwell on how miserable their lives were in a society that both discriminated against them and physically assaulted them. The word "gay" later became a label to describe them as a group. It was a term of hopefulness meant to express the desire for a better life.

I'm sorry you're not gay about the use of the word for other than its classic meaning. Its use as a term for the homosexual community has both a history and a purpose. No one forced the heterosexual community (actually, everybody) to abandon the use of "gay" to mean happy. Why can't people simply come up with something to replace it? I mean, 25 years ago, we didn't have "email" or "login".

Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How about the word "f@ggot"? Do you use it as it was originally intended or do you use it in the way that it was changed by anti-gay heterosexuals?

Just wondering how traditional and consistent the people are who insist that "gay" still primarily means "happy".
ROFLMFAO.....I don't think she has a clue.....But lets call a cigarette a cigarette then. Here's some slang to "even"/balance out the "score">>>>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_(slang) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies