Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,547,795 times

Advertisements

The fear of homosexuality within the Black community is deeply rooted. This is not to say that aren't MANY Black homosexuals but the core of the Black community, the church, doesn't accept it. They actually fear it. Despite many stereotypes to the contrary, the Black communty can be very conservative in their views.

A Black mother is more devastated that her son is gay than in a violent gang. This is not going to change with angry marches.

The civil rights movement was such a looong struggle and took time for people to truly digest what was being fought for. The anti-Prop 8 marches in LA are very in your face with a "how dare you deny us" attitude. I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I do resent that the gay community is not willing to take the time, make the efforts and suffer the way that blacks did during the civil rights movement.

And while I do believe that they have the right to marry, I think that a lot of people believe that they have to pay their dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
...make the efforts and suffer the way that blacks did during the civil rights movement.
Why would you wish that level of suffering on any large, sundry group of people who haven't caused you any harm collectively? Blacks should not have had to fight so hard, and neither should other minority groups. I don't understand your line of reasoning.

And I can't help but be leery of generalizations about the entire black community and its philosophies. Is any group that cohesive?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Why would you wish that level of suffering on any large, sundry group of people who haven't caused you any harm collectively? Blacks should not have had to fight so hard, and neither should other minority groups. I don't understand your line of reasoning.

And I can't help but be leery of generalizations about the entire black community and its philosophies. Is any group that cohesive?
I am giving my perspective as a Black person and my perspective on the community in which I was raised. I did not state that these are my beliefs.

Many people don't understand why the Black community overwhelmingly voted Yes on Prop 8. In general, the Black community, especially older members, believe that homosexuality is a choice. They feel that gays are manipulative and try to recruit the weak and vulnerable(ie if a young man or woman is too weak/sensitive than he/she is vulnerable to the "prey" of gays)

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
I rarely will discuss family business in public but...

Quote:
The fear of homosexuality within the Black community is deeply rooted.
And irrational.

Speaking of irrational;

[/quote] I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I do resent that the gay community is not willing to take the time, make the efforts and suffer the way that blacks did during the civil rights movement.[/quote]

My god, why on earth should anyone or any group be required to pay dues like African Americans have to be an accepted part of American culture. It is one of the greatest travesties that far too many African American's instead of spouting crap like above, don't step-up to the plate and demand and any intolerance, any bigotry, any discrimination is wrong and immoral. No group in the country should be more sensitive to these issues.

Do really want gays to go through 150 years of second class citizenship, violence and discrimination before they can get "in your face"? Puleeze.

Signed O.V. Catto, SBM

Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM

146 posts, read 438,055 times
I wouldnt be so judgemental to say that about only blacks. There are also hispanics, middle easterners and deep south white folk who are also afraid of gays. PERIOD.

When you mention something of that nature, you are giving the impression that you are racist, havent been around other races who dont tolerate homo-ness and so on.

And dont think Im making this up, what you are saying is true, but to single it out as exclusively blacks...is offense and ridiculous. You CANNOT tell me, someone who has dated enough hispanic men to know that many of their mothers (and especially the fathers) also deny (or would disown if they knew) their sexuality. YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!

Its a religious thing, not a racial thing

Old 11-10-2008, 11:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
The fear of homosexuality within the Black community is deeply rooted. This is not to say that aren't MANY Black homosexuals but the core of the Black community, the church, doesn't accept it. They actually fear it. Despite many stereotypes to the contrary, the Black communty can be very conservative in their views.

A Black mother is more devastated that her son is gay than in a violent gang. This is not going to change with angry marches.

The civil rights movement was such a looong struggle and took time for people to truly digest what was being fought for. The anti-Prop 8 marches in LA are very in your face with a "how dare you deny us" attitude. I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I do resent that the gay community is not willing to take the time, make the efforts and suffer the way that blacks did during the civil rights movement.

And while I do believe that they have the right to marry, I think that a lot of people believe that they have to pay their dues.
people should not have to suffer and struggle to enjoy their rights. the rest of us owe blacks a great deal b/c of the fact that they suffered so that in a sense no others would need suffer in the same way again. gay americans are no exception. MLK once said that "Injustice ANYWHERE is a threat to justice EVERYWHERE."

Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 PM

My point being that many Black Americans do not feel that they are obligated to the gay community. The gay community did not make the effort to really reach out to gain the support that they needed to defeat Prop 8.

And before someone says that they shouldn't have to "reach out" to ANY community to gain their rights, they needed to if they wanted to defeat the proposition.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,488,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
people should not have to suffer and struggle to enjoy their rights. the rest of us owe blacks a great deal b/c of the fact that they suffered so that in a sense no others would need suffer in the same way again. gay americans are no exception. MLK once said that "Injustice ANYWHERE is a threat to justice EVERYWHERE."
I don't think you are getting what the OP was trying to state.

Maybe I don't either but being black and gay in the black community is NOT accepted with open arms.

I work in a black community, I have for 20 years now and GAY is NOT ok. It is what it is. Get over it and don't try to tell anyone who KNOWS differently something else.

It's just not something spoken about let alone accepted.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I don't think you are getting what the OP was trying to state.

Maybe I don't either but being black and gay in the black community is NOT accepted with open arms.

I work in a black community, I have for 20 years now and GAY is NOT ok. It is what it is. Get over it and don't try to tell anyone who KNOWS differently something else.

It's just not something spoken about let alone accepted.
I don't think they got it either. Sometimes the truth is really ugly.

I think that many gay people are really upset because they could not fathom that such a large amount of the voting public in CA did not approve their right to marry.

Personally, I say who cares if you want to marry. But aside from the Black community voting majority no...I really think that it is the hidden bigotry that they are really angry about. The clients, business associates, the co-workers, relatives and the non-gay friends whom they thought would be anti-prop 8 but secretly voted yes.

The gay community can point fingers at the Mormon church, the Catholic church, the Black community etc. But they need to spend more time fighting their cause at a grassroots level if they want to gain their rights.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I was watching celebrity rehab the other day and they had Rodney King talking about the horrible police attacks. He stated he had later went to the courts and there was a gay rally outside. Said that the gay protesters stopped rallying for the gay rights issue and got behind/showed immense vocal support for King. He stated he was alarmed that they would stop/fully support him and was very proud that they woud do that. It's all about equality for everybody. I've never been prejudiced against any group of people and realize there are idiots in every group but you do not hold it against the entire group. I find that the majority of gay folks are not prejuduce against race which I'm very happy about. 70% of black folks may have voted for Prop 8 but I'm not going to change how I view everybody although I was highly disappointed (especially since we have supported equality for them because we know it's wrong to be hateful to any race/gender/sexual orientation). It's sad that any group of folks feel so strongly against gay folks getting equality but hopefully that will continue to change with time, education, and acceptance from seeing we are normal regular folks who just want to live our lives not living in fear/having equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies