Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 06:49 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,706,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No loathing, just disgust, mostly.
You have no proof of a god thing, a sky daddy or whatever.
You made it up and believe it.
Sorry, I don't do hallucinations, group or not.

All religions deserve mockery.

You can't prove that there is no God. But, whatever. Each to his/her own.

What happened to tolerance and support of diversity...? At the least we should show basic respect for the individual and his/her religion, even if one disagrees with it. People have a right to their religion *without mockery* from others.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:53 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What part of the word most do you not understand?

No loathing, just disgust, mostly.
You have no proof of a god thing, a sky daddy or whatever.
You made it up and believe it.
Sorry, I don't do hallucinations, group or not.

All religions deserve mockery.
What an ugly, bitter attitude.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Its nothing new in in media or society if you lok back at histroy and chraistian have lived with it for centuries. Its mostly from polical entities seeing them as a threat to their power.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,983,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not that I'm a believer myself, but I can't agree with that, either.

Examples abound of very smart people using their brains to better understand what they perceived as God's creation - ultimately, an act of faith on their behalf. (Mendel springs to mind, off the bat, but one could easily think of a half-dozen.) And certainly a ton of people find a meaningful moral code in their faith. I see no reason to aggressively demean what's so important to so many.

I also don't see it happening very often. A lot of religious people are very fast to cry "persecution" when what is really happening is that they're asked to play on an even field. And of course, once the religion spills into politics, the gloves come off. "Gays can't marry because it displeases my god" is not an argument worthy of anything but derision.
Yes there are intelligent, rational religious believers. However they are intelligent despite their religion not because of it. There's nothing rational or intelligent about believing in god, at least as the idea of "god" is understood in the Abrahamic religions. There's certainly nothing good about thinking the world was created in six literal days 6,000 years ago despite masses of data to the contrary.

Religion is a crutch and an excuse to not think and search for answers. Everything can be boiled done to "goddunit" and "godsayso" as an answer for everything. Seriously some people believe that ancient tribesmen figured out everything there is to know about creation and God thousands of years ago. We're using ancient religious myths as answers to modern political and social problems. It's akin to using ancient medical procedures to treat cancer.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,983,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You can't prove that there is no God. But, whatever. Each to his/her own.
UGHH!! I hate this! I hate this logical fallacy! The burden of proof is:

Shifting the Burden of Proof.
Description: The burden of proof is always on the person making the assertion or proposition. Shifting the burden of proof, a special case of "argumentum ad ignorantium," is a fallacy of putting the burden of proof on the person who denies or questions the assertion being made. The source of the fallacy is the assumption that something is true unless proven otherwise.
YOU, as the person making the claim (God exists) has the burden of proof. Logic and reason dictate that YOU provide proof and evidence. Seriously this is the ONLY situation where people try and do this. When we go to court the defense isn't burdened with proof, the persecution is because they are making the positive claim (the defendant is guilty) Please for the love of humanity STOP making this fallacy in logic. I, as a non-believer, am not required to provide any proof, you as the believer are. So please show me the evidence!

Quote:
What happened to tolerance and support of diversity...? At the least we should show basic respect for the individual and his/her religion, even if one disagrees with it. People have a right to their religion *without mockery* from others.
No, people have a right to their religion that is all. I have a right to free speech. Christians in this nation love to imagine that invoking religion somehow puts them and their preposterous claims above scrutiny and mockery. You are free to believe in God, and I am free to mock it and scrutinize it. There's something wrong in a society where right and wrong is dictated by hurt feelings. Offending someone is not a crime. If I say something and someone gets offended too bad. Hurt feelings aren't a good basis for legislation!

Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
We're using ancient religious myths as answers to modern political and social problems. It's akin to using ancient medical procedures to treat cancer.
As the use of maggots for cleansing serious wounds? (and dont' forget the use of leeches again)

Quote:
You are free to believe in God, and I am free to mock it and scrutinize it. There's something wrong in a society where right and wrong is dictated by hurt feelings. Offending someone is not a crime. If I say something and someone gets offended too bad. Hurt feelings aren't a good basis for legislation!
Then, conversely, you are free to disbelieve in God and I am free to mock your disbelief? And that leads to pleasant and peaceful societal relationships. Got it.

By the way, who is legislating what?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,587,199 times
Talking The rise of Christianphobia in the mainstream media

Poor Christians.

They have it so tough in America.

Maybe someday they can rise to the status level of atheists.

Research Finds that Atheists are Most Hated and Distrusted Minority | NEWS JUNKIE POST

Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Poor Christians.

They have it so tough in America.

Maybe someday they can rise to the status level of atheists.

Research Finds that Atheists are Most Hated and Distrusted Minority | NEWS JUNKIE POST
Is it any wonder why individuals who make their own rules and follow standards that they make up for themselves would be distrusted?

Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Quote:
UGHH!! I hate this! I hate this logical fallacy! The burden of proof is:

Shifting the Burden of Proof.
Description: The burden of proof is always on the person making the assertion or proposition. Shifting the burden of proof, a special case of "argumentum ad ignorantium," is a fallacy of putting the burden of proof on the person who denies or questions the assertion being made. The source of the fallacy is the assumption that something is true unless proven otherwise.
YOU, as the person making the claim (God exists) has the burden of proof. Logic and reason dictate that YOU provide proof and evidence. Seriously this is the ONLY situation where people try and do this. When we go to court the defense isn't burdened with proof, the persecution is because they are making the positive claim (the defendant is guilty) Please for the love of humanity STOP making this fallacy in logic. I, as a non-believer, am not required to provide any proof, you as the believer are. So please show me the evidence!

No, people have a right to their religion that is all. I have a right to free speech. Christians in this nation love to imagine that invoking religion somehow puts them and their preposterous claims above scrutiny and mockery. You are free to believe in God, and I am free to mock it and scrutinize it. There's something wrong in a society where right and wrong is dictated by hurt feelings. Offending someone is not a crime. If I say something and someone gets offended too bad. Hurt feelings aren't a good basis for legislation!
Send that to Washington.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
What an ugly, bitter attitude.
You only think so because the topic is religion. I bet you wouldn't show the same regard for cults or Scientology.

If I were to make a set of assertions that totally goes against everything known and provable to man without any basis in reality, I would rightly be mocked. If I called it a region, it would be considered unassailable by logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies