Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,975,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Here is exactly what you quoted above (post 12):

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine
July/August 2008 was around 28%
And that is what you originally wrote as per the email notification....

The email notification oftentimes arrives before a poster has time to go back and edit their reply.

But that is neither here nor there,how do this years July/August sales stack up historically with past years percentage wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,377,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And that is what you originally wrote as per the email notification....

The email notification oftentimes arrives before a poster has time to go back and edit their reply.

But that is neither here nor there,how do this years July/August sales stack up historically with past years percentage wise?

During good sales years it is a 8% drop. A couple of years (in the last decade) it was near 30% - 2005, for one, I think. (in that year there was a massive gain in May, followed by a equally massive drop in following months.)

All that is important is:

Will auto sales be higher this year then last. By all indications they will.

Will they equal 2005 numbers. Nope.. But after falling for 4 years - stabilization is a good thing for the country, don't you think.

[please note: i am recalling from memory, as I am on the road - hopefully someone else can look up the data]

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,975,310 times
So this drop is bad,as bad as in other bad times...

I imagine if sales do not pick up in the Sept/Oct we might be seeing a trend.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So this drop is bad,as bad as in other bad times...

I imagine if sales do not pick up in the Sept/Oct we might be seeing a trend.
Alot depends on what they have to offer in the 2011 models.

Ford may have a (overall sales) advantage with Fiesta & Mustang - the new Explorer might steal former Saturn drivers from GM, a (those who havent gone to Suburu or Scion) and those who don't want to drive a school bus.

GM has done well with the blandest of vehicles. But the Cruze should do well. And their truck/SUV sales are still good. The Volt (no matter if you like it or not) will sell - but not to Joe average. While I find Caddys ugly, they are selling.

Fiats (the new Neon?) won't do Chrysler much good, but a Alfa Romeo might look good next to Ram 3500.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,174,954 times
Quote:
Alot depends on what they have to offer in the 2011 models.
I don't see anyone running out to spend $41K on the Goverment Motors Chevy Volt unless they like overpaying and are making a status/political statement.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't see anyone running out to spend $41K on the Goverment Motors Chevy Volt unless they like overpaying and are making a status/political statement.
With only 10000 planed on being built in the first production year (and only possibly 100,000 over 10 years), most should be sold. [please note - i doubt the 10 year sales, as lessons learned, should make for great improvements in the technology, so the 'first' version should only be in production a couple of years, which of course, will incease the vault of those original vehicles.)

Somebody has to be a pioneer, and forge forward. France & Israel will have more electric vehicles on the road then the U.S. by the end of 2011.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,174,954 times
Quote:
With only 10000 planed on being built in the first production year (and only possibly 100,000 over 10 years), most should be sold. [please note - i doubt the 10 year sales, as lessons learned, should make for great improvements in the technology, so the 'first' version should only be in production a couple of years, which of course, will incease the vault of those original vehicles.)

Somebody has to be a pioneer, and forge forward. France & Israel will have more electric vehicles on the road then the U.S. by the end of 2011.
Then why did Obama kill the hydrogen car (fuel cell) when he took over GM?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Then why did Obama kill the hydrogen car (fuel cell) when he took over GM?
He didn't.

(From what I've heard), The vehicle is still in the development stages and still 5 years away from any sort of production (other then retro fitting existing vehicles one by one). I'd check your sources.

The estimated cost for a vehicle is still close to that of a Volt. (Toyoda was targeting $50,000+ for their production model - down from a estimated half a million a couple years ago)

Ford has delayed their development, as they too feel electric vehicles are now, hydrogen someday. Electric vehicles can still meet 50 to 80% of the vehicle needs of the nation.

One of the Hydogen Equinox's crashed earlier this year, and didn't blow up, as some (oil company fans) had said.

If you've been keeping up, GM announced a couple of months back, a hydrogen fuel program for Hawaii, as the island plans a major reduction in petro use over the next decade. (Hawaii has a abundance of Hydrogen and has always had the highest gas prices - and you wont be able to drive out of range)

While hydrogen has a advance in range over electric - electric has the infrastructure already in place, which would take decades to put in place for hydrogen.

Last edited by plannine; 09-01-2010 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,358,949 times
Gooo Chrysler! I know GM, Ford, Honda, Nissan and the rest will rebound next month!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,384,974 times
GM was giving so many rebates and incentives earlier this summer that anyone thinking of buying a vehicle did so then before they were all due to dry up. I know we did. We were going to trade ours in at 75,000 miles but ended up doing it at 65,000 because the rebates were just too good to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies