Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,878,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
The current mess the economy in can be traced back to at least the Clinton administration as a starting point, when certain deregulations allowed things on Wall Street to start running rampant. This continued into, and through, the Bush II years and rolled into the current administration.

If you want to hold the Dems responsible for this whole mess, then you simply lack any understanding of the genesis of this country's economic problems.
There is plenty of blame to spread around. But the point is, what to do this Nov? The only members of Congress that are actually trying to do something about the situation, are the Democrats and 3-4 Republicans. So why would we want to send more of those that do not want to work on the problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I place our current economic problems in the hands of the Republican tax cuts under their Godfather Ronnie Raygun. That was when we decided to borrow instead of tax to fund our military excesses and we have been the worse for it ever since. Then we became completely addicted to military spending and contracting under the Bush's and involved with an anti Islamic crusade under the Kristian fanatics hidden in the shrub’s administration. All this spending, along with outsourcing and illegal immigration, has bankrupted most of us and made a few of us richer than ever.

I will vote Democratic because I find their policies better for the nation, for my friends, for my family and for me.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The only members of Congress that are actually trying to do something about the situation, are the Democrats and 3-4 Republicans.
Hardly. Members of both parties are out to pretty much maintain the status quo...not to actually fix anything.

Check out this article for a good example: Wall Street's Big Win | Rolling Stone Politics

Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,878,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Hardly. Members of both parties are out to pretty much maintain the status quo...not to actually fix anything.

Check out this article for a good example: Wall Street's Big Win | Rolling Stone Politics
Politicians are political. Repubs are no different than Dems in that. Right now, the Dems are in the majority, and see political value in getting things done. The Repubs see political value in not getting things done. It is my hope that the Nov elections will demonstrate, to the Repubs this time, that the American people do not want representation that does not get things done. It is my fear that the Repubs will reap rewards in terms of seats, for their efforts in preventing action. That would serve to reinforce the idea, to both Party's, that is a successful strategy. I hope it is not, but it could well be, unless the American people show otherwise.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Why would you still vote for Democrats?

What's the alternative?

The Republicans? They have deliberately embarked on a policy of "just say no" regardless of the consequences. That's not what I would call leadership.

The Tea Party? A few good ideas sprinkled among many crazy people is not something I could ever support ... and I am wary of any political movement that attracts such a high percentage of haters and kooks.

Other third parties? I'm not saying it's impossible, but a viable (i.e., electable on a national level) third party may not happen in my lifetime.

The Democrats are not now, nor have they ever been, anything close to perfect. But on most of the issues most of the time, they represent a view that most closely resembles my own, and therefore they get my support.

Stale talking points?

Republicans said no to Obamacare because the American people rejected it. I don't think you have enough lipstick for that two trillion dollar pig. More to the point, the leadership you fail to recognize is the leadership of the American people who have already said no to Obamacare.

Before they were the party of "no" they were the party of no "new ideas" while Democrats were still pedaling their hopey-changey big spending agenda.

You remember. Democrats were going to create three million new jobs by spending a trillion borrowed dollars our kids will have to repay to the Chinese with interest.

How did that turn out? Did we get all three million new jobs?

How much did we spend to create each of those new jobs?

Tell me which item in the hopey-changey agenda was a new idea?

Which of these new ideas hadn't failed miserably when it was tried at some point in the past?

Last edited by momonkey; 08-30-2010 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Exactly. By the people and for the people is long gone.

Nonsense. It's alive and well at every Tea Party rally. That is the voice of the people and if you aren't involved and holding office holders accountable, you need to get involved.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Nonsense. It's alive and well at every Tea Party rally. That is the voice of the people and if you aren't involved and holding office holders accountable, you need to get involved.
The Tea Party movement was created by Republican strategists to essentially make so much noise about "Obamacare" that the administration would have little resources to focus on anything else, leading to a situation where a large group of people demonstrated opposition to this one plan and the administration could not address anything else - with the end result being the right's ability to tout the complete and total failure of Obama's administration.

The Tea Party movement is the collective voice of a bunch of puppets who are too blind to see the strings hanging over their heads.

And, no, I am no fan of Obama, so I am not commenting from a "liberal" perspective. Both major parties suck.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times
That's not a link to Bob Dole's 1980s 2,000 page health care reform bill. Where is it, majoun? I want to see Dole's 2,000 page bill. You know, the one that supposedly includes Obama's back room deals with the insurance companies and big pharma, and excludes union members from the taxes to pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Obamacare was patterned after a failed bill written in the late 1980s by Bob Dole.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If there was a viable 3rd party who used common sense, was in the middle instead of the fringes in either direction, lead by leaders with integrity who could not be bought and truly stood for the people, I'd be the first to sign up. The Tea party is a start, but I don't see it or any other party having a chance of fighting against the 2 major parties in my lifetime.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM

783 posts, read 815,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Since Nancy and Harry took over in 2006, unemployment has more than doubled (from 4.6% to 9.5%) our national debt has tripled, the stock market has dropped from the 14,000's to the 9,000's, there are 200,000 new bureaucrats, there is an additional $2 Trillion Dollar unpopular HCB, a new financial bill, which nobody has a clue what's in it, an $800 Billion Dollar "stimulus bill" that didn't create one job, we purchased 2 car companies for 5x their value in order to bail out the UAW, we unconstitutionally forced private businesses to close their doors (car dealerships), and now they want "cap and trade" or an energy bill.

It doesn't look so good in print, does it?
i Would vote Democrat becouse the Democrat unlike the Republican the belive on a system of taxation that benefits the broad middle class whiles the Republican would cut taxes for the already wealthy and increase taxes on the middle class in order to make upp for the revenue shortfall of their upper class tax cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies