Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
The decision should not surprise anyone. The decision was made by an openly gay judge.
Who happens to be a Republican appointed by George W. Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Awesome! Now people can marry whoever and whatever they want. Soon, we'll be able to marry our pets and inflatable dolls, too. Hurray for the USA!

You'd have a point it either examples you posted could be proven to give whole consent without a shadow of a doubt.

Which, in the case of minors, pets, inanimate objects, etc. cannot be proven.

Therefore, will never happen.

HOwever, I will state that I'm all for poly marriage, as lo ng as everyone involved is equally consenting to such a marriage.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Great news! Welcome back California!!

It's very strange they let civil rights in that state be set by popular vote. That goes against almost all modern thinking.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Who happens to be a Republican appointed by George W. Bush.
so what

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Great news! Welcome back California!!

It's very strange they let civil rights in that state be set by popular vote. That goes against almost all logical thinking.
Fix'd.

1,062 posts, read 2,253,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Whats wrong with CIVIL UNIONS?! Why do they want so bad to call something marriage that is not marriage. Marriage will always be a man and a woman, no matter what they say. Trying to say a man w/ a man or woman w/ a woman is the same, is just crazy.

You want to give them rights as a couple, fine, but the sanctity of marriage should be upheld.
I am a straight male. However, what is the difference between civil unions and marriage? You know what the difference is, the label and status. It just seems a little hypocritical to say or state "I am OK with civil unions but not gay marriage". At the end, it seems as if civil union between a homosexual couple is the same as marriage. If not, can someone inform me of the difference legally.

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Good.

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
And once it does, and gets ruled for in Gay Marriage's favour, it will likely legalize gay marriage around the country.

So, I'm hoping for it to end up in the Supreme Court.

So badly.
This should come as no surprise to anyone following the case. The opposing side presented very weak (and in some cases non-existent arguments). This issue has been argued in the courts in one form or another for almost 20 years and the ruling has essentially been the same every time.

I wholeheartedly support the decision. My only fear is that this will turn into another Roe v. Wade. A majority of Americans supports access to abortion, but the decision is still held up by an angry minority as "judical activism." Long after a majority of the population comes to support gay marriage, this decision could become a similar rallying cry.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM

396 posts, read 732,764 times
I look forward to this ending up before the Supreme Court - it'll be an end to these ridiculous discriminatory bans nationwide once and for all, and I look forward to that day with great anticipation and excitement.

A few salient points:

The "will of the people" in an individual state cannot override or violate the U.S. Constitution. All laws and constitutions at the state level must be constitutional on the federal level in order to remain in effect.

"Marriage" is not a religious institution. Not in this country. In this country, it is a status granted solely by the government. You can go before a preacher and say your vows a thousand times, but until you have a legal license issued by the government acknowledging the marriage (or achieve common law status, also regulated by the government... or be married in another country in a manner recognized by THIS government), you are not married in this country.

It is a legal status, not a religious/spiritual one.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
So if you want to preserve the meaning of marriage between man/woman but are okay with civil unions, that person is a bigot in your book?
The judge who over-ruled Prop 8 said the attorneys auguring against gay marriage should be ashamed of themselves for presenting such a shoddy and weak case. Religion has no place in a secular world if it means hatred and bigotry. Those who favored civil unions should now accept that gays have the right to marry just like others.

As a Catholic I am pleased that the bishops were ruled wrong and to stay out of the lives of Americans [same applies to Mormons].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies