Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you treat/view light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks differently?
Yes, I do. They are very different, in my opinion. 11 11.83%
Yes, to a certain extent. 7 7.53%
Not intentionally, but sometimes. 12 12.90%
Never. 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 AM

720 posts, read 691,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Skin color doesn't matter, attutude is what I judge by. If your a peice of trash I'll call you out on it because of your attitude not skin color. If your a positive upbeat person with solid morals and integrity then I'll call you (kudos) on that too not matter what color your skin is.
Racism is a crappy excuss to deflect responsibility.
(-"You are a freaking slob!"
-"no I'm not your just racist!") <----- responsiblity deflected.

If someone of a different color said I was a slob, I would first look to see what he/she is seeing to make that comment, then act; I might be a slob.

Well said! Although, there are indeed cases of racism for EVERY skin color, I do not see it as a predominant problem. I see alot of people saying it to deflect(IE Conn shooter)

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Black people themselves make comments and treat other blacks differently depending on skin tone.

I was shocked years ago when a dark skinned black woman I worked with said to me about another light skinned black coworker "she thinks she is better than me because she is high yellow"....I thought what is this Gone With the Wind....LOL.

It gave me great insight into how blacks amongst themselves harbor resentment and prejudice within their own community.
That is so very true and why the OP question is so very absurd.

Growing up in Washington, DC, I had a front row seat to view this "intra-black caste system." Its as despicable as it is ridiculous. Of all the groups that have needed unity over the years and they are sniping at each other because one happens to have more white genes than the other. Good grief.

The irony is they are basing status and boasting about having more, not less, white ancestry. Of course biology is what it is, but if you are so oppressed by a group, why would you want to identify with it? Stockholm Syndrome? Whatever.

And the implication that its white's fault is nonsense. If you are aware of this, and everyone is indeed aware of it, then stop blathering about it or, heaven forbid, benefiting from it, and CEASE and DESIST from doing it. People are people and a skin tone has nothing to do with cultivation, classy behavior, intelligence, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
God bless you Phil . I bet I look alot like you . It's everyday now that a different black on the news has a sob story about being treated badly or called a name. It's kind of embarrassing . Things are changing for the worse . Two more years of "your a racist if you don't like Obama " and I will tell people I'm half Sicilian.
i don't think that's the right kind of attitude to have about the situation.

yes, some blacks are quick to pull the race card for no reason at all. but the fact remains that even in 2010, with a black man leading the nation, racism is still prevelant, and african americans are still being treated poorly because of their race. that cannot be denied

Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
This race card BS is getting old. 20+ years ago it occurred. However, now, it is does not and all of this BS needs to stop.
Totally agree. The race card is getting old both ways. All races need to stop playing the race card and stop making more issues out of racial differences if they want true psychological integration, as in, actually seeing each other as equals, not just riding the same bus.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i don't think that's the right kind of attitude to have about the situation.

yes, some blacks are quick to pull the race card for no reason at all. but the fact remains that even in 2010, with a black man leading the nation, racism is still prevelant, and african americans are still being treated poorly because of their race. that cannot be denied
Actually, it can be denied. If a black man is leading the nation, and one certainly is, then how significant can this racism be in reality?

African-American are by and large not being treated poorly because of their race. Their dilemnas can be traced to out of wedlock births, disdain for education, and a propensity to blame others for their own lack of personal responsibility.

Unless, of course, there is a surplus of African-American engineers and medical doctors who are barred from employement due to their skin.

A nation that decisively elects a black man is a racist nation? I think you know that its hogwash. I suspect you don't want to surrender your weapon aka the race card.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm a dark-skinned black female. Can't attest to being treated differently by whites......can only claim "compliments" like: "You speak so well" "You express yourself so well". I guess with my complexion I was expected to speak in Ebonics?
If you think about it, that is being treated differently. How many of those people would have said that to another white person? Perhaps it's not directly negative, but it does depend on a negative stereotype: "most black people express themselves poorly and are ill-mannered and to find a well-spoken well-mannered black person is rare."

Quote:
I will say that I'm an attractive woman and used to always get "You're beautiful/pretty/attractive to be dark-skinned".
Yet another "compliment" that depends on the negative association: "most dark-skinned black women are ugly and to find an attractive dark-skinned woman is rare."

Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is so very true and why the OP question is so very absurd.

Growing up in Washington, DC, I had a front row seat to view this "intra-black caste system." Its as despicable as it is ridiculous. Of all the groups that have needed unity over the years and they are sniping at each other because one happens to have more white genes than the other. Good grief.
my question is anything but absurd, thank you. you are truly naive if you actually think that there aren't non-blacks who treat african americans different based on skin tone. I HAVE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. so don't sit there and try to pretend that i'm bringing this out of nowhere

Quote:
The irony is they are basing status and boasting about having more, not less, white ancestry. Of course biology is what it is, but if you are so oppressed by a group, why would you want to identify with it? Stockholm Syndrome? Whatever.

And the implication that its white's fault is nonsense. If you are aware of this, and everyone is indeed aware of it, then stop blathering about it or, heaven forbid, benefiting from it, and CEASE and DESIST from doing it. People are people and a skin tone has nothing to do with cultivation, classy behavior, intelligence, etc.
and it's even more ridiculous to suggest that blacks alone are the ones who caused this issue, when the history of high yellow blacks being treated better stretches all the way back down to slavery...and even in today's world where many young black women are brainwashed by american media into believing they must conform to the white standard of beauty in order to be desirable

am i saying that we need to keep blaming white people for this? ABSOLUTELY NOT. but to suggest that black folks got themselves into this mess is the only thing that's ABSURD.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and it's even more ridiculous to suggest that blacks alone are the ones who caused this issue, when the history of high yellow blacks being treated better stretches all the way back down to slavery...and even in today's world where many young black women are brainwashed by american media into believing they must conform to the white standard of beauty in order to be desirable
There's an excellent book about this topic called "Passing" by Nella Larsen. It describes a lot of situations where light-skinned black people could get into hotels and restaurants during a time when only white people were allowed in. They took advantage of their light skin to pass as white and benefit from the privileges of being white. It takes place in the 1920's to 1930's.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Actually, it can be denied. If a black man is leading the nation, and one certainly is, then how significant can this racism be in reality?

African-American are by and large not being treated poorly because of their race. Their dilemnas can be traced to out of wedlock births, disdain for education, and a propensity to blame others for their own lack of personal responsibility.

Unless, of course, there is a surplus of African-American engineers and medical doctors who are barred from employement due to their skin.

A nation that decisively elects a black man is a racist nation? I think you know that its hogwash. I suspect you don't want to surrender your weapon aka the race card.
not the least bit surprised that you would accuse me of being another irritated black who would rather whine and point the finger at the white man instead of standing on his own two feet and earning his place in this world. you have no clue where i am now and what i have had to endure to get here

i never once suggested that a majority of whites were treating blacks wrong. what i said is that racism against blacks DOES INDEED exist. i can guarantee you that somewhere in this country, a minority is being denied an opportunity because of the color of their skin...this kind of stuff still happens, and you are blind if you think otherwise

so if you thought that electing a black president was going to just make us forget that there is still a lot of work to be done, think again.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
my question is anything but absurd, thank you. you are truly naive if you actually think that there aren't non-blacks who treat african americans different based on skin tone. I HAVE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. so don't sit there and try to pretend that i'm bringing this out of nowhere
Al Green:

This is a nation of 285 million people, at least. Perhaps more. If I look around, I can certainly find a great many things including whites treating blacks aversely or <shock!> blacks treating white or more likely Asian immigrants aversely.

Now, were these whites enough to sway the election of a black man? Obviously not. Obama is in the White House. Truly. There he is. I see him on the news every day. And despite being a rather lackluster President, I suspect he will win another term.

If that is the case, and it is, then how significant is this racism you cite? And what have you seen with your own eyes? What I mostly see is blacks suing because they cannot pass simple tests for municipal jobs, demanding they be admitted to good colleges with lousy grades and SATs, screaming when police simply do their job, throwing bogus accusations at greeting card companies, demanding ever-more set asides from the very government they deem hostile, and generally rah-rahing an ever more absurd race hustling industry.

Selma 1965 it ain't.

So no, I am far from naive. And no, I do not think you brought this out of nowhere. Quite the contrary. The Race Card is a favorite weapon amongst many. The problem is most of us see right through it. We have heard it for so long now that it fails to even elicit a polite chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies