Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you treat/view light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks differently?
Yes, I do. They are very different, in my opinion. 11 11.83%
Yes, to a certain extent. 7 7.53%
Not intentionally, but sometimes. 12 12.90%
Never. 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
BINGO.

i'm so tired of people assuming that black folks are just bringing these issues out of nowhere. it's very real.
Most times, people who get upset and take it personal when these issues are raised, tend to be the perpetrators who have inherited and maintain the slave owner mentality.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM

943 posts, read 783,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
mental note, learn how to conjugate the verb 'to be'...

Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As a black person, this is the type of question I have only heard other lack people ask. That being said unless the OP says otherwise, I'd be inclined to believe that he/she is black. Either way, racism is apart of American culture and politics, so I don't see the problem with discussing it.

However I will say that it is highly unusual for for blacks to pose this question on a majority white board for fear of airing our "dirty laundry." I've seen this topic discussed on majority black boards more times than I can remember.

All that being said, and just adding my 3 cents to the equation, as a dark skinned AA (very dark btw) I'd have to say YES there is quite a bit of ongoing discrimination based on one's complexion. But I will also say that I encounter these issues far more often amongst other blacks than I have with whites. As a matter of fact, with whites it has almost always been in a compliminatory fashion whereas with blacks and other non-whites, it was almost always in a deragatory context
I agree with this also. The only time I've been picked on for my dark skin tone was by other black people (in school mainly). One of my children has my complexion and she's teased as well.

I'm very familiar with the "You're pretty to be dark-skinned" comment from other black people. As if dark-skinned and ugly was a foregone conclusion and I'm sort of anomaly.

I do believe that dark-skinned black men are seem as more threatening/intimidating to non-black people.

Wouldn't change my dark-skin for the world. The darker the berry.....

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,464,731 times
Why don't we stop beating around the bush and just say what your thinking. I have many many good black friends. I have both very light skin and darker skin black as my friends.

I do not see them differently at all, that is just me. They both are people i find considerate, sweet, kind, and will do anything to help a friend out.
Now a lot of white people i do know, are more aware of darker skin blacks, they are more afraid of them. I find this crazy.

I also think it is how thee media, movies etc, views blacks.

My opinion of blacks is no different in how i treat them because of the color of their skin.

You can also say this about whites' some are white white, yellowish skin tone, pinkish skin tones, or olive.

Do people feel more intune to olive skin whites, or light light skin white

Look past the color issue, and see people for who they are, regardless of color, color is just a color.

Last edited by california-jewel; 12-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: a

Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,189 times
I don't know if this was an anomaly or not, but a while back I was in the dollar store and saw a young black girl (light skinned) with child in a stroller. When I looked at the child, he had very little black features if any, he had curly dark blond(white curly) hair with blue eyes. This baby was white from what I saw and I am assuming the father was white, but I did not see anyone around who would fit the description of the father. It surprised me as most inter racial kids are light brown with a hint of black features. I began to wonder if this was what the future of black men/woman who have children with white men/woman. Interesting role genetics play and one never knows.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't know if this was an anomaly or not, but a while back I was in the dollar store and saw a young black girl (light skinned) with child in a stroller. When I looked at the child, he had very little black features if any, he had curly dark blond(white curly) hair with blue eyes. This baby was white from what I saw and I am assuming the father was white, but I did not see anyone around who would fit the description of the father. It surprised me as most inter racial kids are light brown with a hint of black features. I began to wonder if this was what the future of black men/woman who have children with white men/woman. Interesting role genetics play and one never knows.
What you don't understand is that the "blacks" in this combination are already from mixed families. Halle Berry's daughter looks very white, but Halle's mom is white (and we don't know about her dad's genetic background either).

Both my wife and I are "black," but my youngest son came out with blond hair and blue eyes. And I know "biracial" people who are as African looking as I am.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What you don't understand is that the "blacks" in this combination are already from mixed families. Halle Berry's daughter looks very white, but Halle's mom is white (and we don't know about her dad's genetic background either).

Both my wife and I are "black," but my youngest son came out with blond hair and blue eyes. And I know "biracial" people who are as African looking as I am.
Maybe I never noticed it because they look completely white As I said, most bi racial people I know look black, just not so much. Most usually have different color eyes. You know, blue, green etc.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,939 times
I treat people as they are, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever. If you are a decent person, I will treat you with respect. If you are a POS, I treat you like a POS. Simple.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You can have two Black parents with a light skinned/fair haired/blue green hazel eyed child....

Vanessa Williams, Beyonce, Colin Powell, Michael Ealy, Lena Horne

White Americans tend to forget just how much interacial mixing took place during slavery. They forget how many times people sexually passed back and forth across the color line.

For example, even the actor Don Cheadle (who is very dak skinned) was determined to have 19% European ancestry in a DNA admixture test on the PBS documentary African American Lives. And 50% of Dr Henry Louis Gates' ancestors were European.

58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one great-grandparent);
19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one grandparent);
1 percent of African Americans have at least 50 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one parent) (Gates is one of those, he discovered); and
5 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,124,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You can have two Black parents with a light skinned/fair haired/blue green hazel eyed child....

Vanessa Williams, Beyonce, Colin Powell, Michael Ealy, Lena Horne
Both of the parents are usually mixed though. Like Vanessa Williams has two very lightskin multigenerational mixed parents.

Quote:
White Americans tend to forget just how much interacial mixing took place during slavery. They forget how many times people sexually passed back and forth across the color line.
Most of the mixing is really recent and not from slavery.

I happen to be darkskin with Black features, so if so much mixing went on during slavery why didn't I come out biracial/mixed looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies