Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you treat/view light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks differently?
Yes, I do. They are very different, in my opinion. 11 11.83%
Yes, to a certain extent. 7 7.53%
Not intentionally, but sometimes. 12 12.90%
Never. 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times

Advertisements

Good question to ask blacks as well, yes. And to answer your question in one sweeping generaliztion: yes, people treat light skinned and dark skinned blacks differently. This has been going on for ages and is a source of much beef and irritation. You'll find the same dynamics of different treatment according to hue of skin in other countries as well.

Move beyond hue and focus on humanity and you will find the human within.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
And these hang ups don't come from nowhere. A lot of black people have hang ups about their skin color and how they're treated because of the way they've been treated, both by whites and other blacks.
BINGO.

i'm so tired of people assuming that black folks are just bringing these issues out of nowhere. it's very real.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
BINGO.

i'm so tired of people assuming that black folks are just bringing these issues out of nowhere. it's very real.
Yeah, it is very real. I have lived in nearly every region of the nation and have a TON of funny/sad anecdotal experience to share on this tip.

I love Portland, Oregon but during the time I lived there I don't know how many more times I could have heard that it was the most white city in America. Lots of white folks eager to discuss "race issues" while never ever really being confronted by them, other than when they go to eat Pho or something.

I will say, if you are white and live and work in predominantly white environments, it would behoove you to keep your mouth shut if you want to criticize other races. Eating Chinese food does not mean you are cool with Chinese people....

Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I once herd a white lady, on TV, imply that Obama's smarts come from his white side. She did not say it like that, of course. What she actually said was more like "he thanks he is smart cause he got a half white brain". It was during the primary in Kentucky.

Racism is essentially a belief in racial superiority, with blacks being rated as the lowest. Assuming that whites realize that light skin usually comes from mixture with different races, including white, a mixed black would be viewed, subconsciously if not consciously, as superior to the darker...hence less racialy mixed black person. Therefore, they may feel that a light skinned black person will be closer to "white" and hence "superior" than a dark skinned person and they maybe treated better than they would treat a dark skinned black person, but still not on par in the way they would treat a white person.
Black people themselves make comments and treat other blacks differently depending on skin tone.

I was shocked years ago when a dark skinned black woman I worked with said to me about another light skinned black coworker "she thinks she is better than me because she is high yellow"....I thought what is this Gone With the Wind....LOL.

It gave me great insight into how blacks amongst themselves harbor resentment and prejudice within their own community.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Yeah, it is very real. I have lived in nearly every region of the nation and have a TON of funny/sad anecdotal experience to share on this tip.

I love Portland, Oregon but during the time I lived there I don't know how many more times I could have heard that it was the most white city in America. Lots of white folks eager to discuss "race issues" while never ever really being confronted by them, other than when they go to eat Pho or something.

I will say, if you are white and live and work in predominantly white environments, it would behoove you to keep your mouth shut if you want to criticize other races. Eating Chinese food does not mean you are cool with Chinese people....

LOL....I just saw your post. I lived in Portland for a few years and I know what you mean.

I remember someone telling me how diverse Portland was....knowing I had lived in Los Angeles for 20 yrs...but Portland was more diverse....LOL.

"We're very diverse up here"....you are?????

In fact I found many in Portland to have a "forced" sense of trendiness, being liberal because it was the cool thing to do. Quite phony.

Which is ironic because the same people would label LA that way.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Absolutely. My mother is white and my father is black. However, I am very light skinned and have few "black" trademarks. I am put down by BOTH sides of the coin. As I have posted, I am police officer and I am married to a white, female police officer. I remember being in court, for a DUI case and the defense attorney asked me:

"Isn't it true the only reason you arrested my client is because he is black?"

"Sir, my father wouldn't be very happy with me if that were the case."

Arguements, etc until I told the judge, attorney's, and jury: "I am half black, which, makes me black. My father wouldn't have been (my father was killed in Vietnam) happy, if I only arrested your client for being black. The defense attorney fought, tooth and nail, to get my statement stricken from the record; he lost.

My wife was giving testimony on a traffic ticket. Same thing."Isn't it the only reason you gave me a ticket, was a I was a black man in BLANK?" "Uh no, I am married to a black man."

This race card BS is getting old. 20+ years ago it occurred. However, now, it is does not and all of this BS needs to stop.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Of course not.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely. My mother is white and my father is black. However, I am very light skinned and have few "black" trademarks. I am put down by BOTH sides of the coin. As I have posted, I am police officer and I am married to a white, female police officer. I remember being in court, for a DUI case and the defense attorney asked me:

"Isn't it true the only reason you arrested my client is because he is black?"

"Sir, my father wouldn't be very happy with me if that were the case."

Arguements, etc until I told the judge, attorney's, and jury: "I am half black, which, makes me black. My father wouldn't have been (my father was killed in Vietnam) happy, if I only arrested your client for being black. The defense attorney fought, tooth and nail, to get my statement stricken from the record; he lost.

My wife was giving testimony on a traffic ticket. Same thing."Isn't it the only reason you gave me a ticket, was a I was a black man in BLANK?" "Uh no, I am married to a black man."

This race card BS is getting old. 20+ years ago it occurred. However, now, it is does not and all of this BS needs to stop.
God bless you Phil . I bet I look alot like you . It's everyday now that a different black on the news has a sob story about being treated badly or called a name. It's kind of embarrassing . Things are changing for the worse . Two more years of "your a racist if you don't like Obama " and I will tell people I'm half Sicilian.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Skin color doesn't matter, attutude is what I judge by. If your a peice of trash I'll call you out on it because of your attitude not skin color. If your a positive upbeat person with solid morals and integrity then I'll call you (kudos) on that too not matter what color your skin is.
Racism is a crappy excuss to deflect responsibility.
(-"You are a freaking slob!"
-"no I'm not your just racist!") <----- responsiblity deflected.

If someone of a different color said I was a slob, I would first look to see what he/she is seeing to make that comment, then act; I might be a slob.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
I'm a dark-skinned black female. Can't attest to being treated differently by whites......can only claim "compliments" like: "You speak so well" "You express yourself so well". I guess with my complexion I was expected to speak in Ebonics?

CAN attest to experiencing snobbery by lighter-skinned black folks. As a child growing up, I got the "you're black", "black a$$" and similar inane put downs. Without being arrogant, I will say that I'm an attractive woman and used to always get "You're beautiful/pretty/attractive to be dark-skinned". I've noticed that light-skin women who aren't particularly attractive are still seen that way by men....lighter skin is more often associated with beauty, whether that beauty exists or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies